Why God let crime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2014, 03:06 PM
RE: Why God let crime?
(22-05-2014 01:30 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 12:09 PM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  I believe in karma as well, but I don't believe that karma is some supernatural force that comes to punish somebody for some bad action that they committed. Bad things happen to good people all the time.

I do believe in karma as it was taught by Siddharta (The Buddha), which is that our actions affect not only our lives, but the lives of others (something that we often tend to forget). A child who is raised being in an abusive environment is far more likely to lack empathy for others, because they look at things as "Why should I feel empathy for other people? Nobody has ever done that for me!" This negativity may then end up being passed on to others due to the way they treat them.

When we take the time to help others in need, we can send good karma by doing so. By good karma, I mean that we can inspire people to help others when they see somebody else suffering. In the book "Razor Wire Dharma", a man who was imprisoned talks about how he became a Buddhist, and how his actions affected others around him. He mentions how he inspired a man of a racist group to walk away from that gang by offering him food because the man said he was hungry. Through actions like these we can encourage people to rid themselves of negative practices, and to become more sympathetic to others.

I like everything you say. People SHOULD behave as if this were true. And it often IS true.

But it's NOT karma; it's just psychology.

It's important to call it what it is and not give in to mystic labels that falsely impart supernatural attributes to this simple human psychology.

The meaning of "karma" has become very blurred, because most people think of it as some supernatural force that will eventually come back to them with good or bad results. In the Buddha's teachings, it is merely a principle.

Principles, of course, are psychology. I don't recall ever coming across a culture that doesn't believe that murder is wrong, yet there are many cases where people have cast this principle aside on the basis of some belief that they have ("This person does not share my cultural ways, therefore it is not wrong to kill them because they are a heathen"), with no feeling of guilt for the killing of those people.

I guess we should come up with a better term for karma in Siddharta's teaching to differentiate it from the more common definition of it as a supernatural force. Maybe behavioral effects? Not sure how to word it.

Live, Love, and Learn Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Compassion4Life's post
22-05-2014, 03:07 PM
(22-05-2014 01:30 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 12:09 PM)Compassion4Life Wrote:  I believe in karma as well, but I don't believe that karma is some supernatural force that comes to punish somebody for some bad action that they committed. Bad things happen to good people all the time.

I do believe in karma as it was taught by Siddharta (The Buddha), which is that our actions affect not only our lives, but the lives of others (something that we often tend to forget). A child who is raised being in an abusive environment is far more likely to lack empathy for others, because they look at things as "Why should I feel empathy for other people? Nobody has ever done that for me!" This negativity may then end up being passed on to others due to the way they treat them.

When we take the time to help others in need, we can send good karma by doing so. By good karma, I mean that we can inspire people to help others when they see somebody else suffering. In the book "Razor Wire Dharma", a man who was imprisoned talks about how he became a Buddhist, and how his actions affected others around him. He mentions how he inspired a man of a racist group to walk away from that gang by offering him food because the man said he was hungry. Through actions like these we can encourage people to rid themselves of negative practices, and to become more sympathetic to others.

I like everything you say. People SHOULD behave as if this were true. And it often IS true.

But it's NOT karma; it's just psychology.

It's important to call it what it is and not give in to mystic labels that falsely impart supernatural attributes to this simple human psychology.

That's how the guy we know of as the Buddha re-defined karma (kamma (Pali), actually). C4L is using it in a perfectly legitimate way. And in the way he is using the word, there are no "supernatural" attributes or allusions to them.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
22-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Why God let crime?
Karma is exist, it is not supernatural. It comes from nature. There are many years before 2014. Could you imagine? It is a process of nature.
I am not pushing anyone to believe in Karma and Buddha also said to not believe his teach. One word to describe it ehipassiko (ehi, passa, ika) that means come and prove.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-05-2014, 05:15 PM
(21-05-2014 06:25 AM)flius Wrote:  Why God let crime in this world? He just handed heaven and hell?

Me no know! Sad
You figure out Smile

YAY Clap

23-05-2014, 05:32 AM
(22-05-2014 05:08 PM)flius Wrote:  Karma is exist, it is not supernatural. It comes from nature. There are many years before 2014. Could you imagine? It is a process of nature.
I am not pushing anyone to believe in Karma and Buddha also said to not believe his teach. One word to describe it ehipassiko (ehi, passa, ika) that means come and prove.

Do you have any proof? Sounds like a naked assertion. I mean, I know that sometimes look appears in karma, but more often than not the result of those always be with someone, and that the consequences of which feed . Still, it is to punish a person away from the Universe .

Google Translate: English > Spanish > German > Finnish > Greek > English

(I'll admit: this is fun.)

Original:
Do you have any proof of that? It sounds like a naked assertion. I mean, I know sometimes it looks like Karma is happening, but more often than not, it's a result of people getting fed up with someone and the person suffering those consequences. Still, that's a far cry from the universe punishing the person.
23-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Why God let crime?
(23-05-2014 05:32 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 05:08 PM)flius Wrote:  Karma is exist, it is not supernatural. It comes from nature. There are many years before 2014. Could you imagine? It is a process of nature.

Do you have any proof? Sounds like a naked assertion. I mean, I know that sometimes look appears in karma, but more often than not the result of those always be with someone, and that the consequences of which feed . Still, it is to punish a person away from the Universe .

(I'll admit: this is fun.)

Original:
Do you have any proof of that? It sounds like a naked assertion. I mean, I know sometimes it looks like Karma is happening, but more often than not, it's a result of people getting fed up with someone and the person suffering those consequences. Still, that's a far cry from the universe punishing the person.

Cause and effect.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2014, 06:41 AM
(21-05-2014 07:19 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 07:17 AM)flius Wrote:  Just imagine that you are a victim of a crime. What do you think? How can this happen, whilst that you are a good people.

Are you from Texas ?

Bite me War Horse...Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
23-05-2014, 07:19 AM
(23-05-2014 06:41 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 07:19 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Are you from Texas ?

Bite me War Horse...Tongue

LOL... you know what I meant. Wink

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
23-05-2014, 09:37 AM
(23-05-2014 06:24 AM)flius Wrote:  Cause and effect.

Cause and effect , what? Spaces are short, to the point that I can not tell if you're up against, what I said .

You must Karma is, first of all, to prove cause and effect. Without it, you only have a claim in breach of the cause. What test Karma is there? I do not want jokes. I want to be verifiable , testable evidence. This could create a concept called wargarble and just as easy to say quotes " cause and effect ", as my argument. This does not mean that it will take me seriously.

See what I mean?

Original:
Cause and effect of what? Your posts are brief to the point that I can't tell if you're addressing what I said.

You have to prove Karma exists in the first place to have cause and effect. Without that, you've got a naked assertion that is violating causality. What proof do you have that Karma exists? I don't want anecdotes. I want verifiable, testable evidence. I could just as easily create a concept called wargarble and say that it exists, and cite "cause and effect" as my reasoning. It doesn't mean that you'd take me seriously.

Do you see what I'm getting at?
23-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Re: Why God let crime?
The only karma that exists is probability. Soon enough something better or worse will happen to you and you can fit it as meaningful if you choose to.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson