Why Homosexuality is Wrong (a stupid theist's argument)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2013, 08:57 AM
RE: Why Homosexuality is Wrong (a stupid theist's argument)
Concerning the OP quote from this christain, it is quite apparent what message is behind the statements and you do not have to build one of those there "strawmen" to get to the point. It implies one of two things: it is a bad choice (as is walking on your head), or one is an abomination and needs to be dealt with (well, eliminated according to scriptures).

So as Raptor Jesus asked - which is it and why should us modern and civilized humans care what is in an old devisive and discriminatory book?

Oh and by the way HB, if you really want people to take you a little more seriously (about 0.01% maybe), change that moronic and immature screenname - unless the penis/mouth thing between men is perfectly OK by you.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
19-12-2013, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 10:13 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
(19-12-2013 05:21 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I doubt anyone chooses their orientation.
(19-12-2013 05:29 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Okay...so...if they don't choose it, then do you believe that is how they are born?
(19-12-2013 05:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I have been around quite a few newborns....none of them displayed any kind of sexual orientation.

Finally! It’s like pulling teeth with you.
Okay, so in your opinion, they don't choose it, and they aren't born that way. So if they aren't born gay, and they also aren't born non-gay but then decide to be that way...what is the third option?

Not born that way, and it's not a choice, so what's left then? Why are people gay if it's not for either of these two reasons?

You keep claiming I'm erecting strawmen, though I'm not. Here is ample opportunity for you to simply answer the question. No strawmen, no words in your mouth, no “adding content to what the Christian said so [I] can then knock it down" as you erroneously claim I've done. Just your words.

If not born gay, and if not a choice to be gay, then what is the third option that explains why they are gay?

19-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Quote:When I get up in the morning, I put my feet on the floor. I do not attempt to stand on my head, since that is not the designed purpose for heads. They are good for many things; standing on them is not one.

Some people can stand on their heads. Some may enjoy it. But by no stretch of the imagination is doing a head-stand on equal-footing with standing on your feet. Any attempt to say they are basically the same thing has to be treated as absurd..

The whole "how it's designed" argument is dumb for two reasons:

1) It begs the question. Was it designed?

2) Regardless of if you believe in creationism or evolution, we like to screw. It's awesome. From an evolutionary standpoint, people who like to screw would procreate more than those who didn't. This worked fine until we discovered birth control and realized we could have our cake and eat it too.

So, as far as we're "designed", we're designed to like to screw. That's it. You may or may not believe there's an invisible person out there giving us edicts on what type of sex is good or bad, but that's a different discussion. Gay people are doing it right, too. Hell, they don't have to worry about birth control, so, they may even be doing it better.
19-12-2013, 12:56 PM
(19-12-2013 07:20 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Your actual argument contains precisely the same rigour, the same attention to detail, the same intellectual honesty, the same level of candid self-assessment, the same level of appreciation for the diversity of human culture society and genetic diversity, and yes sir the same bigotry as the reframing. The very same bigotry. You ignorant fucking bigot. Why don't you walk away from this topic until you have the perspective and decency to approach it as a human being? You lack the necessary knowledge and experience to exchange meaningful discourse on this subject and by god it's showing. Go do some womens' studies. Go and actually meet some gay people. Don't try to use "this is an intellectual argument" as a smokescreen for your bigotry and as a shield against others calling you out on it. You objectively are. You are. You are an uninformed bigot on this subject, and you could do with some education.

As a society we indoctrinate people to be egalitarian because it benefits society as a whole. Its obvious you cannot set aside your indoctrination and have an honest discussion. You, yourself are an ignorant bigot because you are intolerant of any view which contradicts your indoctrination.

Really you should accept the Christian's view that heterosexuality and homosexuality are not equivalent and then just ask the question, "so what?".
19-12-2013, 01:01 PM
(19-12-2013 12:56 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Really you should accept the Christian's view that heterosexuality and homosexuality are not equivalent and then just ask the question, "so what?".

Also, we need to accept every other religion's view on the matter and then say "so what?". Otherwise, we're being biased bigots. If we don't concern ourselves with the ancient Roman thoughts on the matter, are we really being honest?

Srsly, guys. We need to look at all of the nonfalsifiable beliefs simultaneously. We don't want to be bigots.
19-12-2013, 01:03 PM
(18-12-2013 10:54 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Earlier I heard a mush-brained Christian make the following analogy as to why gay marriage is wrong:

Quote:When I get up in the morning, I put my feet on the floor. I do not attempt to stand on my head, since that is not the designed purpose for heads. They are good for many things; standing on them is not one.

Some people can stand on their heads. Some may enjoy it. But by no stretch of the imagination is doing a head-stand on equal-footing with standing on your feet. Any attempt to say they are basically the same thing has to be treated as absurd.

As a “foot walker” it does not seem controversial to me that there would be anything unusual about a man wanting to use his feet to go somewhere.

I may someday be unable to use my feet to travel. I still can use my head well enough to know that I won’t get anywhere if I’m upside down.

Yeah, cause that's the equivalent. Just some random people deciding to walk on their heads for no apparent reason. In fact, the very absurdity of that analogy should shed light on how obvious it is that this is not simply a decision by otherwise straight people to just wake up one day and randomly decide to commit the rest of their lives to having sex with a person of the same gender, whom they are not even attracted to, just because, for no apparent reason that's what they are going to do... cause the hate "God" I guess, and want to fuck with "him" by doing something they were not created by "God" to do, like walking on their heads...

Fucking stupid moronic Christian...

If you are a Christian reading this, please, at least don't be or say things this dumb...please...

Well, I would say that his line of thinking was not designed for heads, either.

Ciao

- viole
19-12-2013, 01:07 PM
There's a film "fish out of water" which repudiates the idea that the scriptures disapprove of homosexuality. If you have a person who is deeply steeped in their faith it is best to use these arguments against them.
19-12-2013, 01:11 PM
(19-12-2013 01:01 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(19-12-2013 12:56 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Really you should accept the Christian's view that heterosexuality and homosexuality are not equivalent and then just ask the question, "so what?".

Also, we need to accept every other religion's view on the matter and then say "so what?". Otherwise, we're being biased bigots. If we don't concern ourselves with the ancient Roman thoughts on the matter, are we really being honest?

Srsly, guys. We need to look at all of the nonfalsifiable beliefs simultaneously. We don't want to be bigots.

We are not talking about a non-falsifiable belief. The belief we are talking about is the non equivalence of sexual orientation.
19-12-2013, 01:15 PM
things this dumb

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-12-2013, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 01:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-12-2013 05:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I have been around quite a few newborns....none of them displayed any kind of sexual orientation.

Just as I thought. Not 1 class in Biology.

(19-12-2013 05:32 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Really you should accept the Christian's view that heterosexuality and homosexuality are not equivalent

The statement is meaningless. Equivalent to/for whom ? What does "equivalent" even mean ? Just more drivel.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche