Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
04-05-2017, 05:22 AM
RE: Why I Believe
(04-05-2017 01:16 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  So, if someone isn't sure what they believe anymore, does that make them agnostic?

That's what I referred to myself as for 25 years, I used that term and stopped thinking about the whole god thing, I lived my life without any concern about it until I finally decided to seriously examine what I actually believed.

It wasn't rocket science to figure out that; no, I didn't really believe any of it and hadn't believed it for a while.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
04-05-2017, 05:34 AM
Ignosticism is a good place as well, with the added bonus of being uncommon. Thumbsup

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-05-2017, 05:47 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 05:59 AM by Vera.)
(04-05-2017 04:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I lied. Heart

Also don't entirely disagree. Loving her forever does not mean being blind to her flaws, namely woofuckery. Maybe it is time for Daisy Ridley to ascend. Big Grin

Whew! Good to hear you don't believe women steaming their nether regions is particularly sound advice. Not unless we're made of broccoli or yams (love this lady's work btw. And it's *not* because she's Brazilian, honest Rolleyes )

[Image: 6793426134_a9e6cc247b_b.jpg]

For someone with OCD, I'm lucky enough not to get obsessed with people, but if I did, even though I don't look down on actors and like some quite a bit, I think I'd rather be obsessed with scientists, astronauts or musicians, preferably of the classically-trained variety Rolleyes

[Image: lebrecht-music.jpg]

Why not try Helen Czerski (she's lovely), Prof. Francesca Stavrakopoulou (she's awesome) or Dr. Alice Roberts (she seems nice but she really annoyed me in one of her otherwise good documentaries on evolution by blathering on and on how *she* was a vegetarian and meat wasn't that important... *while* talking about the role of eating meat in human evolution. I get it, you're morally superior to all us meat-eaters, now shut up and present the bloody documentary, this is not about you!)

Hmm... where was I again?

Oh, I came across this just now. I am not the biggest Oatmeal fan (more like meh), but this is interesting and somewhat apropos. Apparently the same part of our brains that responds to physical threats, responds to intellectual ones. Explains a lot.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
04-05-2017, 06:18 AM
(04-05-2017 04:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  
Quote:I don't like you no morez. Angry

Take a number, have a seat, can I bring you something? Coffee? Lunch? A bed? It's gonna be a loooooong wait Drinking Beverage

[Image: 48280865.cms]
Its a no from me I like you you're a feisty gutsy lady. Mind you I wouldn't want to get on your bad side. Wink Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
04-05-2017, 07:09 AM
(04-05-2017 03:27 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 01:16 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  So, if someone isn't sure what they believe anymore, does that make them agnostic?

Agnostic is such a blanket term for almost everything. Think of yourself as undecided or not sure, its nice and simple. Have you considered going to a Unitarian church in the interim ? You'd still get the camaraderie and social networking of church but with much less proselytizing and hellfire, think of it as a methadone prescription to withdrawal gradually from religion.
As comforting as it sounds, I don't really miss the social gatherings because I have social anxiety.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like SeaJay's post
04-05-2017, 07:10 AM
(04-05-2017 06:18 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Its a no from me I like you you're a feisty gutsy lady. Mind you I wouldn't want to get on your bad side. Wink Big Grin

Hehe, and literally yesterday I was thanked for my delicacy/kindness/whatever exactly they meant. And, I've been told I have a very peaceful, calming aura (hehe) that makes it very peaceful to be around me.

I've also been told I'm scary when angry (which is bunk, as I'm almost never angry and when I am, I tend to eat myself up inside. I can be mighty cranky and acerbic though, I'll give you that Rolleyes )

I guess I truly *am* many... and they all keep their distance Undecided

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
04-05-2017, 07:16 AM
(04-05-2017 05:06 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 04:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  Take a number, have a seat, can I bring you something? Coffee? Lunch? A bed? It's gonna be a loooooong wait Drinking Beverage

I lied. Heart

Also don't entirely disagree. Loving her forever does not mean being blind to her flaws, namely woofuckery. Maybe it is time for Daisy Ridley to ascend. Big Grin
Or maybe Milla Jovovich, those little boobs with the hard pointy nipples are divine, mmm I could nibble on those for hours. Tongue
04-05-2017, 07:24 AM
(04-05-2017 05:22 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

That's what I referred to myself as for 25 years, I used that term and stopped thinking about the whole god thing, I lived my life without any concern about it until I finally decided to seriously examine what I actually believed.

It wasn't rocket science to figure out that; no, I didn't really believe any of it and hadn't believed it for a while.

I did the same during my transition to atheism from Xtianity. Although, I kind of looked at it as more of a time to figure everything out (and less about a label) since I was only agnostic for about a year. It was more of a stopping point for me than a philosophical stance.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-05-2017, 07:24 AM
(04-05-2017 07:10 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 06:18 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Its a no from me I like you you're a feisty gutsy lady. Mind you I wouldn't want to get on your bad side. Wink Big Grin

Hehe, and literally yesterday I was thanked for my delicacy/kindness/whatever exactly they meant. And, I've been told I have a very peaceful, calming aura (hehe) that makes it very peaceful to be around me.

I've also been told I'm scary when angry (which is bunk, as I'm almost never angry and when I am, I tend to eat myself up inside. I can be mighty cranky and acerbic though, I'll give you that Rolleyes )

I guess I truly *am* many... and they all keep their distance Undecided

Yes, but I like the fact you can be acerbic it makes for some kick ass knock em dead posts, especially when you're roasting the trolls.
04-05-2017, 07:29 AM
(04-05-2017 07:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 05:22 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  That's what I referred to myself as for 25 years, I used that term and stopped thinking about the whole god thing, I lived my life without any concern about it until I finally decided to seriously examine what I actually believed.

I did the same during my transition to atheism from Xtianity. Although, I kind of looked at it as more of a time to figure everything out (and less about a label) since I was only agnostic for about a year. It was more of a stopping point for me than a philosophical stance.

> Is there still a spiritual side (for want of a better term) in being an atheist yogini? My last girlfriend was an atheist and avid yoga practitioner, but we never discussed that and I never thought to bring it up. Consider