Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
04-05-2017, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 09:16 AM by kim.)
RE: Why I Believe
(04-05-2017 08:10 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  

Well now, SeaJay ... are you ...

SeaJay ... ? SeaJay ...? ...

Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone at home?…
Come on now
I hear you're feeling down
Well I can ease your pain
Get you on your feet again

Relax
I'll need some information first
Just the basic facts
Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons
Now I've got that feeling once again
I can't explain you would not understand
This is not how I am
I have become comfortably numb

Okay
Just a little pinprick
There'll be no more, ah
But you may feel a little sick

Can you stand up?
I do believe it's working, good
That'll keep you going through the show
Come on it's time to go

There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon
You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye

I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown

The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb

Is it you ... SeaJay ... ?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-05-2017, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 09:18 AM by kim.)
(04-05-2017 08:00 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  You live, you die

Yes.
You live, you die.

Three words in total - You used twice, for emphasis. Wink

All of the things you've ever thought and said, are in those three words. It is a lot to take in.

It is a comfort to know that it is only three words - again, emphasis on you.

Just let it sit for a while. Shy

Maybe have a nice read. Vera posted this previously and she was right - it is very apropos.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-05-2017, 10:20 AM
The things I like about Seajay is he's Imo totally genuine, looking for answers support dialogue and he's honest too id help him out all the live long day if he needed it. Respect to you Seajay. Smile
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
11-05-2017, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 03:08 AM by SeaJay.)
This sort of hit me more than ever before:

Matthew 24:36 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only (KJV).

"The best and earliest Greek manuscripts say, "not the angels of heaven, neither the son, but the Father only." But apparently it bothered the scribes that there were some things Jesus didn't know, so they fixed it by omitting the phrase, "neither the son." (Bart D. Ehrman, Misquoting Jesus (2005), p.95)"

Shocking

Even though the words “neither the son” were put back into later bible editions, this does not negate the fact that early biblical scribes left it out of the King James Version. Why leave it out if not to serve their personal biases, i.e. to promote the idea that Jesus was God or at least, all knowing?

This evidence, the need to promote human bias, to create a purpose-driven bible with necessary alterations, is the biggest indication of all that the bible is not divinely inspired but a human construction.

"Sure", some may say, "but the original manuscripts were all divinely inspired and perfect in meaning". That might be true, but it still leaves me questioning why God would allow such alterations later on down the line if the entire point of the bible was to deliver a perfect book to reveal to us the character of God, and to put forth the plan of salvation of the entire human race. Either the bible was never divinely produced, or God did not think it a concern that a once perfect book would be messed about by humans.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 5 users Like SeaJay's post
11-05-2017, 03:29 AM
God's plan with his text makes about as much sense as giving a stethoscope to a bunch of horses.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
11-05-2017, 03:38 AM
(11-05-2017 03:03 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  This sort of hit me more than ever before:

Matthew 24:36 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only (KJV).

"The best and earliest Greek manuscripts say, "not the angels of heaven, neither the son, but the Father only." But apparently it bothered the scribes that there were some things Jesus didn't know, so they fixed it by omitting the phrase, "neither the son." (Bart D. Ehrman, Misquoting Jesus (2005), p.95)"

Shocking

Even though the words “neither the son” were put back into later bible editions, this does not negate the fact that early biblical scribes left it out of the King James Version. Why leave it out if not to serve their personal biases, i.e. to promote the idea that Jesus was God or at least, all knowing?

This evidence, the need to promote human bias, to create a purpose-driven bible with necessary alterations, is the biggest indication of all that the bible is not divinely inspired but a human construction.

"Sure", some may say, "but the original manuscripts were all divinely inspired and perfect in meaning". That might be true, but it still leaves me questioning why God would allow such alterations later on down the line if the entire point of the bible was to deliver a perfect book to reveal to us the character of God, and to put forth the plan of salvation of the entire human race. Either the bible was never divinely produced, or God did not think it a concern that a once perfect book would be messed about by humans.

I think the book reveals human character. I haven't seen a better answer to the question "what am I?"

If you cannot choose "not him" then you have no choice at all. So I am not sure why you gave only "this or that" as a conclusion?
[+] 1 user Likes AB517's post
11-05-2017, 05:33 AM
(11-05-2017 03:03 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  "Sure", some may say, "but the original manuscripts were all divinely inspired and perfect in meaning".

Yeah, that's pretty absurd, it's also an admission that the person that utters those words are indulging in post-hoc rationalization.

The original manuscripts are perfect- based on what?

Therefore the imperfect manuscripts that we do have, have some sort of god-breathed message in them.

As you just pointed out, they routinely and casually altered these texts to suit their own purposes when they were written. The entire process of alleged god-transmission is obviously corrupted to the point that it's useless.

All that's left is to cherry-pick and interpret these scriptures and make it up as you go along and that is; in fact, what we have seen for the last 2000 years.

The bible is 100% man-made, 100% uninspired, 100% agenda-driven.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
11-05-2017, 05:38 AM
(11-05-2017 03:29 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  God's plan with his text makes about as much sense as giving a stethoscope to a bunch of horses.

It's not like giving a stethoscope to horses, it's like giving a stick to a child and telling him it's a magic wand. Some kids wave it around and pretend it makes things better, other kids bonk each other over the head with it. Some kids shove it up their own arseholes. A few think it's just a stick.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
11-05-2017, 05:51 AM
(11-05-2017 05:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  A few think it's just a stick.

And learn how to make fire and all sorts of useful things. Thank you, you precious few, who keep carrying humanity on your back Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
11-05-2017, 01:46 PM
(11-05-2017 05:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 03:29 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  God's plan with his text makes about as much sense as giving a stethoscope to a bunch of horses.

It's not like giving a stethoscope to horses, it's like giving a stick to a child and telling him it's a magic wand. Some kids wave it around and pretend it makes things better, other kids bonk each other over the head with it. Some kids shove it up their own arseholes. A few think it's just a stick.

Au contraire, mon frère ...

[Image: thumb.jpg]
Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like kim's post