Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
18-05-2017, 05:25 AM
RE: Why I Believe
Well that's the thing! How would we interpret such a message? It could mean anything. Something unable to communicate in any more specific terms could be warning us that this guy is a murderer, or telling us that they like his hair.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2017, 05:38 AM
(18-05-2017 05:25 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Well that's the thing! How would we interpret such a message? It could mean anything. Something unable to communicate in any more specific terms could be warning us that this guy is a murderer, or telling us that they like his hair.
Plus there is the organisation of it all. To a person opening the door, it's like the JW's just "appeared" as if sent by the lawd.

Yet for this to work, said lord would have to influence those particular people personally, to do something very specific, which makes it even more unlikely that a being would do that.

If god can send you a personal message via some form of mind control, why can't god use this power to influence the right people and make the world a better place?

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
18-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Excellent points all, and I agree with them

I feel a little irritated at myself that I let it get to me (a little) but I'm fine now.

I guess the most salient fact about the JWs knocking my door is that I said to them "I don't know what I believe". It's the first time I've said it aloud and it was an honest reply too. I didn't even think about it, it just came out. I mean, sure, I'm questioning things, but this is the first time I've, in a way, admitted to myself I don't know what I believe. It's one thing to question but it's another thing to hear yourself say I don't know.

Thanks all.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 4 users Like SeaJay's post
18-05-2017, 08:36 AM
(18-05-2017 08:26 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Excellent points all, and I agree with them

I feel a little irritated at myself that I let it get to me (a little) but I'm fine now.

I guess the most salient fact about the JWs knocking my door is that I said to them "I don't know what I believe". It's the first time I've said it aloud and it was an honest reply too. I didn't even think about it, it just came out. I mean, sure, I'm questioning things, but this is the first time I've, in a way, admitted to myself I don't know what I believe. It's one thing to question but it's another thing to hear yourself say I don't know.

Thanks all.
It's a step in the right direction. Converting is a slow, and sometimes pain-full process to go through, but keep plowing on and you'll get there. Question everything and work things out for yourself, and you'll soon see what the score is.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
18-05-2017, 08:38 AM
(18-05-2017 08:26 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  ... this is the first time I've, in a way, admitted to myself I don't know what I believe ...

I think that's terrific. The rational subsection of your subconscious is on rails now and there's no going back. But the destination is one whose brochures you've never stopped perusing so finding yourself enroute should I hope be a relief not a worry.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
18-05-2017, 09:17 AM

Thanks all.

You report that it just came out. So, did it feel comfortable and natural to find yourself saying "I don't know", SeaJay?

Only after, when you began thinking about it and fell into reinforcing thoughts, did you begin to feel apprehensive.

You are beginning to help your mind find it's natural self. Hug I am glad for you - it must be a bit of a relief to know you don't have to scramble around and constantly play 'Find The Coincidence'.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-05-2017, 11:23 PM

Thanks all.

That's really good! You're clearly comfortable admitting you don't have all the answers, something a lot of people struggle with. It's the best starting point for honest investigation.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Robvalue's post
20-05-2017, 07:11 AM
One way I think of it is that if there really is a God worth believing and believing in, He does not reject sincere search for truth and goodness nor does he punish honesty. I am a recent ex-Mormon, btw.
[+] 3 users Like BeccaBoo's post
20-05-2017, 07:16 AM
(20-05-2017 07:11 AM)BeccaBoo Wrote:  One way I think of it is that if there really is a God worth believing and believing in, He does not reject sincere search for truth and goodness nor does he punish honesty. I am a recent ex-Mormon, btw.

> You are in good company.

> “Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.” (Thomas Jefferson) Consider
20-05-2017, 07:30 AM
What about trying their best to tear down their belief system primarily out of fear?

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde