Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
22-05-2017, 05:12 AM
RE: Why I Believe
(22-05-2017 04:37 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Lol I know thats a gag, but I was being serious. Why would you WANT to fear anything? Let alone the supposed creator of the universe?

It's human nature to fear that which is unknown. Maybe if I knew what the Creator was like, I wouldn't be so afraid of Him! Weeping

The creator was the Big Bang, one characteristic of the Big Bang is that it's completely unaware or sympathetic to your existence.

[Image: you-are-here_2.png]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post
22-05-2017, 05:16 AM
(22-05-2017 04:37 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  It's human nature to fear that which is unknown. Maybe if I knew what the Creator was like, I wouldn't be so afraid of Him! Weeping

I would say it's human nature to be inquisitive and to try and understand exactly what something is and how it works. Many fear what they don't understand, but in my experience because they are narrow minded and don't want to expand on what they think they know.

In all of human history, we have never found, and dare say I, NEVER WILL find evidence of the lord almighty [or any other widely sold god], because they don't exist.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
22-05-2017, 06:52 AM
I fear the fool who is SO fucking stupid, they can't even figure out how to use the quote function.

Welcome to TTA.
We are on the NAWP, (the nut-a-week plan).
We get a discount for our nuts who drop in for the week.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-05-2017, 08:01 AM
(22-05-2017 06:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We are on the NAWP, (the nut-a-week plan).
We get a discount for our nuts who drop in for the week.

Oh, that's what that is?

I thought it was a reference to a married person's sex life. Cool

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
25-05-2017, 05:53 AM
(22-05-2017 05:16 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(22-05-2017 04:37 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  It's human nature to fear that which is unknown. Maybe if I knew what the Creator was like, I wouldn't be so afraid of Him! Weeping

I would say it's human nature to be inquisitive and to try and understand exactly what something is and how it works. Many fear what they don't understand, but in my experience because they are narrow minded and don't want to expand on what they think they know.

In all of human history, we have never found, and dare say I, NEVER WILL find evidence of the lord almighty [or any other widely sold god], because they don't exist.

And then certainty is such a comforting drug: You have a crazy life, you pray, you believe God will handle it, you stop thinking and can sleep at night.

It's harder when you know things can go to shit even if you're careful or not. It can be a psychological minefield.

Imo the best antidote to that is science and intuition and an active lifestyle. When intuition snd science are a team we can use the subconscious defenses our brains employ for us while measuring against cause and effect of the known world. And physical activity helps the brain and body optimise emotions and cognition.
[+] 2 users Like BeccaBoo's post
06-06-2017, 02:09 AM
Hi all

Still here. Been having a rough few days with fear and anxiety; same old problems raising their ugly heads. Problems I thought I was getting over about a month ago.

I really am starting to think that the only way out of this perpetual anxiety cycle is to not believe, but I've realised it isn't as easy as saying "Ok I don't believe." And of course entertaining the idea of nonbelief makes me anxious.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 3 users Like SeaJay's post
06-06-2017, 02:11 AM
At work.

Hug
06-06-2017, 02:30 AM
(06-06-2017 02:09 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I've realised it isn't as easy as saying "Ok I don't believe."

It's all about education. More you read, less you know Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-06-2017, 02:42 AM
(06-06-2017 02:09 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Hi all

Still here. Been having a rough few days with fear and anxiety; same old problems raising their ugly heads. Problems I thought I was getting over about a month ago.

I really am starting to think that the only way out of this perpetual anxiety cycle is to not believe, but I've realised it isn't as easy as saying "Ok I don't believe." And of course entertaining the idea of nonbelief makes me anxious.

With you believing for so long, it might not actually do you any harm to periodically repeat the line, out loud to yourself, "I don't believe" and just see how you feel about it. Once you get used to the phrase it might become easier for it to remain in your mind.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
06-06-2017, 04:09 AM
(06-06-2017 02:09 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Still here. Been having a rough few days with fear and anxiety; same old problems raising their ugly heads. Problems I thought I was getting over about a month ago.

It took me years to get over my religious fears. During that time I was on-again off-again mildly depressed. Just hold tight to what you know is true, and your habits of mind will catch up with you sooner or later.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post