Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
06-06-2017, 05:19 AM
RE: Why I Believe
(06-06-2017 02:09 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Hi all

Still here. Been having a rough few days with fear and anxiety; same old problems raising their ugly heads. Problems I thought I was getting over about a month ago.

I really am starting to think that the only way out of this perpetual anxiety cycle is to not believe, but I've realised it isn't as easy as saying "Ok I don't believe." And of course entertaining the idea of nonbelief makes me anxious.

I had similar feelings as I pulled away from Christianity, it did involve a process of about 20 years, so it wasn't an overnight thing. Part of that 20 year process was learning and getting out of the Christian bubble where I wasn't reading the bible or going to church listening to preachers.

Another important part was humor, I became a fan of South Park and Family Guy, those shows illustrated parts of my religious beliefs that were absurd and poked fun of those beliefs. I learned to laugh at religion, my own religion, and come to realize the absurdity of it all. It was a gradual process with a lot of laughing at my beliefs and realizing how preposterous they were.

Hopefully you can find some of those ridiculous and humorous things and every time you laugh at it, one of those threads of religious control will break.

My former friend was a fundamentalist, every time any subject came up that didn't give due respect to his religion he would get serious and angry, he would throw out dismissive epithets like "secularists" or "evolutionists" to describe his distaste for anything that didn't confirm his narrow world view.

When I finally decided to abandon faith, this behavior turned in my direction. I reflect how I was completely blind to this behavior when I was a Christian, I was absolutely disgusted by it when I rejected faith. He became just another cartoon-cutout fundamentalist that had no ability to think for himself. We were friends for a couple of years, but as soon as he decided I was a target for denigrating comments and passive-aggressive apologism, it was only a matter of time before I told him to get lost.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
06-06-2017, 05:58 AM
(06-06-2017 02:09 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Hi all

Still here. Been having a rough few days with fear and anxiety; same old problems raising their ugly heads. Problems I thought I was getting over about a month ago.

I really am starting to think that the only way out of this perpetual anxiety cycle is to not believe, but I've realised it isn't as easy as saying "Ok I don't believe." And of course entertaining the idea of nonbelief makes me anxious.
Your anxiety appears to be rather cyclic so will probably bite you in the ass just when you think you're getting the best of it. Reminds me very much of the grief and loss cycle, where there are similar issues with people breaking down just when they think they are "moving on". The latter "grief spiral" is often explained as your subconscious spoon-feeding your "new normal" or "new reality" to you in bite-size doses that you can handle; each new cycle of grief is sort of de-numbing or un-cloaking a more complete realization of your loss.

Something similar may happen in the brain, at least for some people, where anxiety is a factor. Your bouts of anxiety may simply reflect that you're moving deeper into territory your brain has forbidden you in the past, and it's adjusting.

In other words I'm saying that these anxiety attacks may gradually subside as you retrain your mind, just as a grieving person's bereft episodes subside as they more fully embrace and accept their new reality.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
06-06-2017, 05:59 AM
(06-06-2017 02:42 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  With you believing for so long, it might not actually do you any harm to periodically repeat the line, out loud to yourself, "I don't believe" and just see how you feel about it. Once you get used to the phrase it might become easier for it to remain in your mind.
Silly as it may seem, this could be a good idea. The subconscious does respond to conscious suggestion.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
16-06-2017, 01:42 PM
(06-06-2017 05:59 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 02:42 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  With you believing for so long, it might not actually do you any harm to periodically repeat the line, out loud to yourself, "I don't believe" and just see how you feel about it. Once you get used to the phrase it might become easier for it to remain in your mind.
Silly as it may seem, this could be a good idea. The subconscious does respond to conscious suggestion.

Yes - in fact, it is a little reinforcement "trick" that is constantly used by theists to shore up faith! They brainwashed you SeaJay - now, you have the chance to brainwash yourself back to you.

I say, fight fire with fire!

I'm thinking of making a list of secular, positive affirmations....

How about:
Fuck Hell! (my personal favorite Shy )
No superstitious crap for me!
Humans exist - gods don't!
Secular is the new sexy!™

Or just stick with the basics...

I'm a nonbeliever!
I love humans!
I'm a human!
I love me!

Now, get up SeaJay and follow Jessica's example ...

Ok, maybe don't stand on the sink but, you get the idea. Shy

Make it a point to be enthusiastic about being the fantastic guy you are - especially without belief.
Take note how incredibly beautiful the world is - especially without belief.
Understand deeply and state out loud that only you controls you.

Freedom from belief is complete freedom. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the advice Kim (and a great video)

As I say (at least I think I said), I feel like I've plateaued just recently. I've absorbed a lot of information these last few months and it's all just sitting there, staring at me Smile

I'm feeling a lot better now though. I still get scary moments (see above) but I recover quickly and things, in general, are looking positive.

I have to admire 'religion' for its tenacious grip!

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 3 users Like SeaJay's post
02-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Just dropping in to say hello all Smile

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 4 users Like SeaJay's post
02-08-2017, 08:13 AM
(02-08-2017 07:16 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Just dropping in to say hello all Smile

> Hello! Smile
02-08-2017, 08:22 AM
(02-08-2017 07:16 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Just dropping in to say hello all Smile

Sup.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
02-08-2017, 08:55 AM
I'm ok. Still searching and researching

[+] 2 users Like SeaJay's post
02-08-2017, 09:25 AM
(06-06-2017 05:19 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  [

My former friend was a fundamentalist, every time any subject came up that didn't give due respect to his religion he would get serious and angry, he would throw out dismissive epithets like "secularists" or "evolutionists" to describe his distaste for anything that didn't confirm his narrow world view.

When I finally decided to abandon faith, this behavior turned in my direction. I reflect how I was completely blind to this behavior when I was a Christian, I was absolutely disgusted by it when I rejected faith. He became just another cartoon-cutout fundamentalist that had no ability to think for himself. We were friends for a couple of years, but as soon as he decided I was a target for denigrating comments and passive-aggressive apologism, it was only a matter of time before I told him to get lost.

yuppers ... the same as any other cracked brain using personal emotional needs filling in practical belief statements as reality. Pushing them as the only logical belief statements.

forcing belief statements that counter observation so that their world view is more realistic.

thank no-god we have police. Yes