Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
06-04-2017, 11:42 AM
RE: Why I Believe
(06-04-2017 10:57 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Faith shows you trust another person. To gain the trust of another person isn't easy and when it's given it's not a trivial thing.

The word faith has multiple uses and one of them is akin to trust. I can say that I faith in my friend when I mean that I trust him but that's not what religious faith is. I trust my friend because I have a history of interaction with him to base that on. I believe that I can count on him because I have numerous examples to base that on. In other words trust is based on evidence.

I might also extend limited trust to strangers and call it "faith in humanity" but that is again based on past interactions and an understanding of how likely it is that a random person can be trusted regarding a specific request.

Believers try to conflate that with faith in the religious sense which is NOT based on evidence. It is exactly the opposite. It is belief without evidence or despite conflicting evidence.

I avoid using the word "faith" when I mean "trust" because it is so easy for the religious to twist it to make it sound like my evidence-based trust is equivalent to their fantasy-based faith.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
06-04-2017, 11:44 AM
(06-04-2017 10:57 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Faith shows you trust another person. To gain the trust of another person isn't easy and when it's given it's not a trivial thing. Why it is so great concerning the bible is because there's a verse that mentions it's impossible to please God without faith. Or something like that. I just want to point out I am not trying to preach I am just trying to answer your question honestly as I can

And it's completely manipulative because yes, I can trust another person because I can actually talk to them, interact, watch them, and experience life with them. That trust takes a good while to grow and it's real.

How can you trust "God" when you've never seen him, talked to him, or have any real evidence of him? If someone randomly started texted you, asking you to do things, send 10% of your income, etc., would you trust them? Or would you say "Who the hell are you?" and ignore them, or at best tell them you're going to need a hell of a lot more evidence before you start doing what they ask? Take all the things "God" asks you to do, and replace "God" with "person who is a complete stranger". Now does any of what you're being asked to believe and do sound intelligent, or would you suddenly get very skeptical of all that was asked of you?

Plus the trust you're being asked to put in "God" is asked to happen almost instantly. There is no vetting, because all you get it is others who haven't actually seen or heard him tell you how great he is, and you're shown some old writings of people telling you how awesome he is.
[+] 4 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
06-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Of course the trouble is we are told right from the word go that we can trust God. So it sort of, sinks in and you take for granted you can.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 3 users Like SeaJay's post
06-04-2017, 12:03 PM
In the opposite scenario, mofo would already be banned, yet atheists (you know, soulless minions of satan and shit) are still offering compassion.

Yeah, I ain't getting it. Fool me once and all...

Have fun with that. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-04-2017, 12:04 PM
(06-04-2017 12:01 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  Of course the trouble is we are told right from the word go that we can trust God. So it sort of, sinks in and you take for granted you can.

Totally correct. There is a Jesuit saying "give me a boy until they are seven and I will give you the man." Why do you think they say this? I bet it is because if you tried telling this crap to an adult who never heard it before, they would laugh.

[Image: tumblr_nwsp5htlzo1rmi6rto1_500.jpg?w=924]

An accurate assessment. Thumbsup

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 5 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
06-04-2017, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 12:21 PM by kim.)
(06-04-2017 12:03 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In the opposite scenario, mofo would already be banned, yet atheists (you know, soulless minions of satan and shit) are still offering compassion.

The ape tries to scuttle up the mountain for Tao and all he gets is the crummy WWJD? tee shirt?

Come now, Prophet ... where have thee placed thy *faith? Angel

*(aside from the obvious)

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-04-2017, 12:26 PM
(06-04-2017 12:03 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In the opposite scenario, mofo would already be banned, yet atheists (you know, soulless minions of satan and shit) are still offering compassion.

It's the same fucker over and over and over again. The batshit insanity will commence soon.

#sigh
06-04-2017, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 12:34 PM by kim.)
(06-04-2017 12:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

It's the same fucker over and over and over again. The batshit insanity will commence soon.

Hmm.... looks like we have a couple who might need to get a room. Wink

Are we getting too old for this shit?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-04-2017, 02:12 PM
(06-04-2017 10:57 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Faith shows you trust another person. To gain the trust of another person isn't easy and when it's given it's not a trivial thing. Why it is so great concerning the bible is because there's a verse that mentions it's impossible to please God without faith. Or something like that. I just want to point out I am not trying to preach I am just trying to answer your question honestly as I can

You are conflating religious faith with about everything else. The faith that the church talk about is not the faith that you have in other people. Faith in the religious sense is belief in something for no good reason. You can use the word faith in others but it isn't in the same sense. You have faith in others because they haven't screwed you over yet or they have routinely demonstrated trustworthiness.

This is a lie that is taught to us as children. The conflating of belief and religious faith is a dishonest thing. I am aware of the Pauline version of what faith is but even the second part of his definition, "evidence of things unseen," is gullibility defined.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
06-04-2017, 04:32 PM
What Organic said.

I have "faith" in my wife because I've been with her 20 years and she's proven herself to me and I to her."God" hasn't proven jack shit, and in an effrot to justify said faith, people who believe will give credit to "God" for things there is zero proof he had anything to do with. "God" has been good to you? How? What can you point to that you can prove 100% was a result of "God"?
[+] 4 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post