Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
11-04-2017, 05:03 AM
RE: Why I Believe
(11-04-2017 01:18 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 05:10 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Most of the so-called prophecies in the bible refer to later events that are also documented in the bible.

The others are way too vague. A prophecy needs to be very specific. When will something happen? Where? What exactly will happen?

But let's say it does contain some "true prophecies", for the sake of argument. What does that tell us? Either the authors had some way of knowing or accurately predicting the future, or they got lucky. This doesn't provide any evidence about the involvement of a God. We're just left not knowing how they managed to predict it. They don't get to just say it's from God and it's automatically true. That is a separate claim that needs evidence, and all people ever say is "How else could they have known?". That is the classic argument from ignorance.
That's a fair point

I remember having a huge debate with another Christian years ago to do with the destruction of the city of Tyr. Apparently it was supposed to be destroyed so that the nearby sea covered it. But Tyr is still there today. Something like that anyway.

Is there a book that deals with failed biblical prophecies?

Or maybe God has a spare Tyr Tongue

I imagine there probably is, but I'd be randomly googling and wouldn't be able to personally recommend any. Does anyone have any ideas?

Personally, I don't think the bible has predicted shit. It's mostly people retrofitting events to the text.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
11-04-2017, 08:00 AM
(11-04-2017 01:18 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Is there a book that deals with failed biblical prophecies?

I asked google and this was the first return - http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_prophecies Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 09:00 AM
(11-04-2017 08:00 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:18 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Is there a book that deals with failed biblical prophecies?

I asked google and this was the first return - http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_prophecies Dodgy

Ha - Now, now. He wants to be the baby. He wants us to hold his hand as we walk him round the yard. He wants us to make the choo-choo sound as we spoon in his mushy peas. It's all good. Shy

Are we miffed because current religi-boy doesn't want to use his fingers? Wink It shouldn't surprise you, they're all like this until the break. Thinking for the self is a shakey business when one isn't used to it - he doesn't yet know what might be reliable.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
11-04-2017, 09:15 AM
(11-04-2017 09:00 AM)kim Wrote:  Thinking for the self is a shakey business when one isn't used to it - he doesn't yet know what might be reliable.

Well, considering the ideas the stupid brain comes up about the Gwynnies, being wary of self seems like a good plan. But then, I'm insane. Always wondered what it would be like to trust the self. Huh

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 09:32 AM
(11-04-2017 08:00 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Same here.

I was hoping someone had bought a book they'd read and might be able to recommend.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
11-04-2017, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 09:40 AM by Vera.)
Hey guys, we've got plenty (more than enough, really Dodgy ) crappy theists (and a couple atheists, too) to be mean and/or sarcastic with. Let's be nice to the (very rare) nice (and obviously tortured*) ones, no? Blush

* Even before their time, a.k.a death.

Sorry, literally could not help myself Blush

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
11-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Meh. I hate it when I step away from a thread and then all of a sudden there's like 300 new posts to read.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
11-04-2017, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 10:57 AM by kim.)
(11-04-2017 09:32 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I was hoping someone had bought a book they'd read and might be able to recommend.

Perhaps SeaJay, you might begin to streamline your studies.
Gathering materials about things to look up and books to read can become a distraction and can keep you fixating on the very things that keep you trapped with your fear.

Rather than finding things to think about, you may want to concentrate on how to think.

Logic and reason provide a solid foundation for how to think about most anything.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-04-2017, 10:49 AM
(11-04-2017 09:32 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:00 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I asked google and this was the first return - http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_prophecies Dodgy
Same here.

I was hoping someone had bought a book they'd read and might be able to recommend.

I get it and you'll have forgive the snark.

I'm going to give you a penny's worth of free advice. I understand this might be self-evident to you already but it bears some pondering. I do see some potential in your posts so far, so please accept this in the spirit that it's offered.

We're jaded. Many of us are exhausted from defending ourselves to well-meaning religious types who come here en masse specifically during the Spring and Winter holidays to remind us of how wrong we are and to spread their flavor of the good news. What they fail to grasp is that many of us here were once believers and gave up our religious shackles for reason. Atheism doesn't occur in a vacuum and many of us were exposed to religions and indoctrinated often as children (of course there are the types who never believed and think all this discussion is stupid). For me personally it took me over 20 years to accept that I'm an atheist and use often when dealing with others the term secular humanist because most religious people haven't a clue what that means.

We aren't angry or in rebellion against our parents or families (which in my case would be totally stupid since my parents are dead), we aren't just being arrogant in our dismissal of religions, we aren't angry with the deity of choice, although we might have problems with some of the "followers" of a said sect. We also don't lack scruples. In most cases there aren't terrible reasons for our disbelief. In fact, as a group, atheists can disagree on a lot of issues, the only thing we do agree on is that god(s) don't exist, period.

The mistake these often misguided and well-meaning religious peoples make (much like the individual who hijacked your thread) is that they refuse to engage in the lighter sections of the forum. They don't want see us as humans but rather to justify their own sense of superiority and prejudice against us. If they took the time to engage us as people and share their thoughts on for example movies they love or whatever, we become different to them and I think with many that terrifies them. That's really about their fear and not about us.

*digs the admin hat out of the drawer*
Every self-proclaimed theist who ventures here needs to understand that this is our playground. I decide ultimately who stays and goes. I've banned just as many atheists as I've banned theists. *takes off the admin hat and arranges it back into the drawer*

While waiting for your turn on the swings or slide you might be pushed back to the end of the line, until we do get to know you better. We simply won't get to know you better unless you make an effort to meet us half way. We have some successful theist types here, and this forum wouldn't be the same without them and their voices. We can have meaningful religious discussions with them.

The difference is probably their intent for being here (some have said they prefer us to religious people on religious forums). If your here to make friends and share ideas, welcome. If your intent is try to spread the good news™ you might not be banned, but you won't be popular and while waiting for your turn to go down the slide, you might be pushed to the back of line repeatedly.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-04-2017, 10:59 AM
What's this we shit, Moms? I'm angry! Angry

And I hate god! Angry

And he's a big poopyhead! Angry