Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
11-04-2017, 11:03 AM
RE: Why I Believe
(11-04-2017 10:59 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What's this we shit, Moms? I'm angry! Angry

And I hate god! Angry

And he's a big poopyhead! Angry

It's OK. We'll let you kill your big old nonexistent poopyheaded god. Hug

You just have to let the others kill their own poopyhead gods, too.

Then we all get ice cream. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
11-04-2017, 11:08 AM
(11-04-2017 10:07 AM)kim Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 09:32 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I was hoping someone had bought a book they'd read and might be able to recommend.

Perhaps SeaJay, you might begin to streamline your studies.
Gathering materials about things to look up and books to read can become a distraction and can keep you fixating on the very things that keep you trapped with your fear.

Rather than finding things to think about, you may want to concentrate on how to think.

Logic and reason provide a solid foundation for how to think about most anything.
True. I started a thread asking for recommendations on critical thinking. First thing I ordered was 'Logically Fallacious' by Bo Bennet PhD

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
11-04-2017, 11:11 AM
(11-04-2017 10:59 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What's this we shit, Moms? I'm angry! Angry

And I hate god! Angry

And he's a big poopyhead! Angry

You just need a hug...

Hug

*Moms soothing singsong tone...*
You're ok..Here's your Gwynnies doll...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-04-2017, 11:18 AM
(11-04-2017 11:03 AM)kim Wrote:  It's OK. We'll let you kill your big old nonexistent poopyheaded god. Hug

Kill the LC!?!? Gasp

While I'm 99+% certain all that stuff was all in my head, I'm 100% god don't give a fuck whether or not you hate god. Tongue

I was gonna edit this to reply to Moms, but on second thought, I ain't touching that. Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 11:19 AM
(11-04-2017 11:11 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You're ok..Here's your Gwynnies doll...

Confused Hope that at least made it into the wash.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-04-2017, 11:19 AM
11-04-2017, 11:22 AM
(10-04-2017 10:28 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 07:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  Polls of doctors huh? If you claim prayer cures disease, post evidence. There's a wealth of randomized controlled trials proving the efficacy of modern medical techniques. I'll admit my post was bait, and you took it. Please define for me a "miracle" in an unambiguous fashion.

ETA: And find for me ONE person provably "super-naturally" cured - and this means not just "we don't understand how" but "God did it".

Ok everyone just slow down and take a breath and go back thoughtfully to what has been said, after all this is the "thinking" atheist forum so let's reread and "think" through what has been claimed.

In post #386 moromdog states: As much as religion would love to be able to claim the same effectiveness as science, we cure more people wholesale in a week than have been cured by prayer in the last several thousand years.

If one applies logical reading comprehension what is being posited? Science is more effective than prayer in curing people of illnesses. Now apply logic - to compare any two things and state one is more effective than the other one would have to acknowledge this truth - both science and prayer are capable of curing people of illness.

No. Any number of healings is greater than zero. You're not applying logic, you're twisting someone's words to make them say something he did'nt mean.
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post
11-04-2017, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 11:35 AM by SeaJay.)
(11-04-2017 09:32 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Same here.

I was hoping someone had bought a book they'd read and might be able to recommend.

(11-04-2017 10:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I get it and you'll have forgive the snark.

I'm going to give you a penny's worth of free advice. I understand this might be self-evident to you already but it bears some pondering. I do see some potential in your posts so far, so please accept this in the spirit that it's offered.
Ok, will do

(11-04-2017 10:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We're jaded. Many of us are exhausted from defending ourselves to well-meaning religious types who come here en masse specifically during the Spring and Winter holidays to remind us of how wrong we are and to spread their flavor of the good news. What they fail to grasp is that many of us here were once believers and gave up our religious shackles for reason. Atheism doesn't occur in a vacuum and many of us were exposed to religions and indoctrinated often as children (of course there are the types who never believed and think all this discussion is stupid). For me personally it took me over 20 years to accept that I'm an atheist and use often when dealing with others the term secular humanist because most religious people haven't a clue what that means.
I understand. I sometimes think have I been decoupling from Christianity for the last seven or eight years and that's why I've been having all sorts of messed up emotions and thoughts during that period of time.

(11-04-2017 10:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We aren't angry or in rebellion against our parents or families (which in my case would be totally stupid since my parents are dead), we aren't just being arrogant in our dismissal of religions, we aren't angry with the deity of choice, although we might have problems with some of the "followers" of a said sect. We also don't lack scruples. In most cases there aren't terrible reasons for our disbelief. In fact, as a group, atheists can disagree on a lot of issues, the only thing we do agree on is that god(s) don't exist, period.
Understood. I've never thought atheists were anything more than normal people who just didn't believe in gods. No more mo less. We're all the same other than our (possible) differing likes, dislikes, biases, beliefs, etc.

(11-04-2017 10:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The mistake these often misguided and well-meaning religious peoples make (much like the individual who hijacked your thread) is that they refuse to engage in the lighter sections of the forum. They don't want see us as humans but rather to justify their own sense of superiority and prejudice against us. If they took the time to engage us as people and share their thoughts on for example movies they love or whatever, we become different to them and I think with many that terrifies them. That's really about their fear and not about us.
Agreed. It's as I say I only came here to really test my faith, to see if I could reduce it to rubble, not to foist my beliefs on anyone. I just see human beings, I don't really take much notice of labels. I can just as easily sit next to an atheist and watch 'The Force Awakens' as I can sit next to a theist, or whatever category of people some might care to suggest.

(11-04-2017 10:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  *digs the admin hat out of the drawer*
Every self-proclaimed theist who ventures here needs to understand that this is our playground. I decide ultimately who stays and goes. I've banned just as many atheists as I've banned theists. *takes off the admin hat and arranges it back into the drawer*
I hear you

(11-04-2017 10:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  While waiting for your turn on the swings or slide you might be pushed back to the end of the line, until we do get to know you better. We simply won't get to know you better unless you make an effort to meet us half way. We have some successful theist types here, and this forum wouldn't be the same without them and their voices. We can have meaningful religious discussions with them.

The difference is probably their intent for being here (some have said they prefer us to religious people on religious forums). If your here to make friends and share ideas, welcome. If your intent is try to spread the good news™ you might not be banned, but you won't be popular and while waiting for your turn to go down the slide, you might be pushed to the back of line repeatedly.
That's understandable and duly noted.

Thank you for the advice

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 4 users Like SeaJay's post
11-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Why won't my above replies to momsurroundedbyboys post, display?

11-04-2017, 11:27 AM
(10-04-2017 11:55 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 08:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  The effects of intercessory prayer have been tested and found to be non-existent.

Yikes!!! Now what, first atheists say to depend on doctors and then I find out half of the doctors are delusional because they believe in the miraculous. God I hope I don't get sick. Oh wait there no God Facepalm

Careful Chas, there are some of the brethren here who don't give much credence to Wikipedia

What are you, in middle school? You sound just like all the others. You're really The Dense Theist.
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post