Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
11-04-2017, 03:46 PM
RE: Why I Believe
Wrong thread, Full Circle.
Copy and paste it here. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Here's a great audio file to listen to.
It's a couple of hours long but it's very funny and quite heartfelt.

Julia Sweeney did this live.

Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-04-2017, 04:25 PM
(10-04-2017 05:21 PM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Just saw your request SeaJay and absolutely on starting a new thread and ditto on being swamped and taking a breather. Best wishes in your search for inner peace, I pray you find it

LOL... how desperate are these guys? Having to "pray" for each other on an atheist forum. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
11-04-2017, 04:29 PM
(11-04-2017 04:21 PM)kim Wrote:  Here's a great audio file to listen to.

Heart

Oh I do love this one, I've watched it several times

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
11-04-2017, 04:32 PM
(11-04-2017 04:29 PM)JesseB Wrote:  

Heart

Oh I do love this one, I've watched it several times
She is good.
I love when she's talking with the Mormon boys. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-04-2017, 04:35 PM
(11-04-2017 10:49 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  [The mistake these often misguided and well-meaning religious peoples make (much like the individual who hijacked your thread) is that they refuse to engage in the lighter sections of the forum. They don't want see us as humans but rather to justify their own sense of superiority and prejudice against us. If they took the time to engage us as people and share their thoughts on for example movies they love or whatever, we become different to them and I think with many that terrifies them. That's really about their fear and not about us.

And part of that is deeply ingrained. The JWs and some branches of Christianity are taught...no, decreed...to not interact with those who don't believe as they do. They are told from day one that to allow too much contact with godless heathens, such as many of us, they will be tainted and tempted by our evil and worldly ways. We are a threat to their happy place.

How else do you explain the nine year old mentioned in another thread who not only said they hated a child who doesn't believe but physically pushed her away?

Those theists who interact with us are generally accepted and often quite popular around here...KC, Shai, Aliza...sadly, too many think they can come in and talk and bully and repeat the same stuff over and over till the instant reaction is usually not friendly or welcoming but is an eye roll with a facepalm and sometimes anger.

Were we to go to a theist website and start out with a similar but reverse opening post, we would probably not even get that far. We would not even be given a chance.

If there were a forum eject button most would be gone before the opening post was read through completely.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
12-04-2017, 12:08 AM
(10-04-2017 06:47 AM)A_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Food for thought are these results of a poll of doctors: Perhaps the most surprising result of the survey,” the report notes, “is that a majority of doctors (55 percent) said that they have seen treatment results in their patients that they would consider miraculous (45 percent do not).
Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2004/12/28152/#sfz...Res7K6m.99

#sigh
12-04-2017, 01:25 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 04:57 AM by SeaJay.)

Heart
Thanks Kim - much appreciated

EDIT: Just watched it. Very good. Very touching at around 1h 36m too.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
12-04-2017, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 05:28 AM by SeaJay.)
I'm feeling edgy, uncertain, and a little confused.

It's like, I don't believe the Genesis creation text is scientifically accurate, I don't believe the Noah's Ark story, I accept not all contradictions in the bible can be explained away. I see there is strong evidence that Jesus started out as an apocalyptic prophet who did believe he was going to die and return soon (in their lifetimes). I believe some prophecies just haven't come to pass, such as Egypt being a desolation for 40 years. I've ordered Karen Armstrong's book because I believe the creation of monotheism is spelt out in those pages. The idea that Adam and Eve were ever in a position to sin like they did when it could have gone any other way, and their descendants being punished as a result. There are things depicted in the bible that I believe are just plain wrong, scientifically, the sun standing still in Joshua, and morally suspect, the treatment of women, slavery, infinite punishment for finite crimes etc.

There's a lot here that just doesn't make sense to me nor do I believe, yet I'm sat here anxious that I feel as if I am still in the same boat I was yesterday.

From a moral standpoint, I find myself in the weird situation where I do not approve of most of what my belief is made up of.

From a scientific standpoint, I find myself in the situation where there's a lot I just don't accept as true.

The confusion is that, despite all the above, it doesn't seem to have much effect on what I believe. My rejection of this or that does not 'turn off' my faith as it were. Truth be told, it isn't because of fear either. It feels like there's something missing, some final piece of the jigsaw out there I haven't encountered yet. I feel flat and numb about it all.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 4 users Like SeaJay's post
12-04-2017, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 05:40 AM by GirlyMan.)
(12-04-2017 05:25 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I'm feeling edgy, uncertain, and a little confused.

It's like, I don't believe the Genesis creation text is scientifically accurate, I don't believe the Noah's Ark story, I accept not all contradictions in the bible can be explained away. I see there is strong evidence that Jesus started out as an apocalyptic prophet who did believe he was going to die and return soon (in their lifetimes). I believe some prophecies just haven't come to pass, such as Egypt being a desolation for 40 years. I've ordered Karen Armstrong's book because I believe the creation of monotheism is spelt out in those pages. The idea that Adam and Eve were ever in a position to sin like they did when it could have gone any other way, and their descendants being punished as a result. There are things depicted in the bible that I believe are just plain wrong, scientifically, the sun standing still in Joshua, and morally suspect, the treatment of women, slavery, infinite punishment for finite crimes etc.

There's a lot here that just doesn't make sense to me nor do I believe, yet I'm sat here anxious that I feel as if I am still in the same boat I was yesterday.

From a moral standpoint, I find myself in the weird situation where I do not approve of most of what my belief is made up of.

From a scientific standpoint, I find myself in the situation where there's a lot I just don't accept as true.

The confusion is that, despite all the above, it doesn't seem to have much effect on what I believe. My rejection of this or that does not 'turn off' my faith as it were. Truth be told, it isn't because of fear either.

Stop taking shit that wasn't meant to be taken literally literally. It's all parable. "Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble." - Joseph Campbell

(12-04-2017 05:25 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  It feels like there's something missing, some final piece of the jigsaw out there I haven't encountered yet. I feel flat and numb about it all.
That's called angst. Get used to it. It's comorbid with being.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post