Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
15-04-2017, 02:05 PM
RE: Why I Believe
(15-04-2017 02:00 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Also, no matter how much someone professes that God is watching over them and keeping them safe, their subconscious/instincts will make them leap the fuck out of the way of a car.

I laughed. Also made me think of Pope John Paul II's encylical Faith and Reason (Fides et Ratio). TLDR of it: God gave people brains for a reason, faith is awesome, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't use the brain He gave you too. Or in my own words, "Sure, I'll pray when I'm sick. But I'll do it after taking those antibiotics, not before."

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post
15-04-2017, 06:38 PM
SeaJay Wrote:The reason for my questions (and questions to subsequent answers I may receive) is to really test what I believe, and why I believe. If my questions stand up to scrutiny, if I cannot have my faith torn down, then I will remain a Christian.
What do you believe?
Why do you call yourself "a Christian"?
What does it mean to be a Christian?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
15-04-2017, 06:45 PM
SeaJay Wrote:In the beginning, I turned to Christianity as a child looking for reassurances due to my otherwise insecure childhood (therapy 101). Now, I continue in Christianity due to fear. It would be nice to say it's all out of love (and there may be a sliver of that) but it's primarily out of fear.
What does it mean for you "to continue in Christianity"?

15-04-2017, 06:52 PM
(15-04-2017 06:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  
SeaJay Wrote:In the beginning, I turned to Christianity as a child looking for reassurances due to my otherwise insecure childhood (therapy 101). Now, I continue in Christianity due to fear. It would be nice to say it's all out of love (and there may be a sliver of that) but it's primarily out of fear.

Pretty sure he is saying, he just does it without actually agreeing or believing in it at all. Basically someone who is either an Agnostic or Atheist who is too scared to either come out or scared of pascals wager to talk about what they really think.

It's a way of openly acknowledging awareness of cognitive dissonance

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 07:06 PM
(15-04-2017 06:52 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 06:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  What does it mean for you "to continue in Christianity"?

Pretty sure he is saying, he just does it without actually agreeing or believing in it at all. Basically someone who is either an Agnostic or Atheist who is too scared to either come out or scared of pascals wager to talk about what they really think.

It's a way of openly acknowledging awareness of cognitive dissonance

I understand. Thank you for explaining. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
16-04-2017, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2017 01:52 AM by SeaJay.)
(15-04-2017 06:38 PM)Alla Wrote:  
SeaJay Wrote:The reason for my questions (and questions to subsequent answers I may receive) is to really test what I believe, and why I believe. If my questions stand up to scrutiny, if I cannot have my faith torn down, then I will remain a Christian.
What do you believe?
I believe Jesus is not God but His Son. I believe there is no actual devil entity, that he is a symbolic representation of humankind's sinful nature. I don't even believe in a literal hell (believe it or not - but I have this phobia/fear I might be wrong). I believe heaven will be on earth. I think that covers the main parts.

(15-04-2017 06:38 PM)Alla Wrote:  Why do you call yourself "a Christian"?
Because of my Christian beliefs

(15-04-2017 06:38 PM)Alla Wrote:  What does it mean to be a Christian?
I means I believe in God and that He sent Jesus to die for our sins. It means believing in the bible and what it teaches.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
16-04-2017, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2017 01:48 AM by SeaJay.)
(15-04-2017 06:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  
It means trying to live a Christ-like life and attempting to choose good over evil every time. But it also means continuing to live in fear and hoping God will not send me to hell.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
16-04-2017, 01:40 AM
The thing is, hardly any Christians do actually follow the teachings of Jesus. They follow a few cherry-picked nuggets.

That is a good thing, of course. His teachings were geared towards an imminent end of the world, and preparing yourself by removing all possessions and earthly ties. They were intended for the people of the time, and since what he predicted didn't happen, it would now be crazy to act like that. So people find excuses not to follow what he said, if they have even read it at all. The bits they don't want to do aren't literal, and such.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
16-04-2017, 02:25 AM

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
16-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Unfuckingbelievable.
An atheist forum on Easter Sunday and all you can think to talk about is god and Jesus? Dodgy sigh

So, here's my contribution....

It's always been one of my favorites. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post