Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
16-04-2017, 09:44 AM
RE: Why I Believe
(16-04-2017 01:36 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 06:38 PM)Alla Wrote:  What do you believe?
I believe Jesus is not God but His Son. I believe there is no actual devil entity, that he is a symbolic representation of humankind's sinful nature. I don't even believe in a literal hell (believe it or not - but I have this phobia/fear I might be wrong). I believe heaven will be on earth. I think that covers the main parts.

(15-04-2017 06:38 PM)Alla Wrote:  Why do you call yourself "a Christian"?
Because of my Christian beliefs

(15-04-2017 06:38 PM)Alla Wrote:  What does it mean to be a Christian?
I means I believe in God and that He sent Jesus to die for our sins. It means believing in the bible and what it teaches.

You realize how much you contradicted yourself there, don't you? If your last sentence is true, then you can't believe there is no Satan and no hell, that heaven will be on earth (because the bible teaches the earth will be destroyed).

As Robvalue said, you're cherry picking and making your version of christianity that makes you feel best.

Also, side point, the whole "Jesus is God's Son" is so goddamn stupid. How the fuck would the christian god have a son? In other religious it's at least attempted to be explained because there are many gods and goddesses who have offspring, but there isn't any "mother god" that would have spit out Jebus. Can people not just admit that is clearly something that was influenced by the other polytheistic religions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
16-04-2017, 12:26 PM
SeaJay Wrote:I don't even believe in a literal hell (believe it or not - but I have this phobia/fear I might be wrong).
Let's pretend you are wrong. Why are you afraid to be wrong?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
16-04-2017, 12:57 PM
(16-04-2017 12:26 PM)Alla Wrote:  
SeaJay Wrote:I don't even believe in a literal hell (believe it or not - but I have this phobia/fear I might be wrong).
Let's pretend you are wrong. Why are you afraid to be wrong?
Because if I am wrong, then I go to hell and the reason I go to hell I detailed in post #56

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
16-04-2017, 01:00 PM
(16-04-2017 09:44 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 01:36 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I believe Jesus is not God but His Son. I believe there is no actual devil entity, that he is a symbolic representation of humankind's sinful nature. I don't even believe in a literal hell (believe it or not - but I have this phobia/fear I might be wrong). I believe heaven will be on earth. I think that covers the main parts.

Because of my Christian beliefs

I means I believe in God and that He sent Jesus to die for our sins. It means believing in the bible and what it teaches.

You realize how much you contradicted yourself there, don't you? If your last sentence is true, then you can't believe there is no Satan and no hell, that heaven will be on earth (because the bible teaches the earth will be destroyed).
What is your reason for believing this?

(16-04-2017 09:44 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  As Robvalue said, you're cherry picking and making your version of christianity that makes you feel best.
Possibly. Though I arrived at my core beliefs after much study and thought and not because it made me comfortable

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
16-04-2017, 01:10 PM
(16-04-2017 01:36 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 06:38 PM)Alla Wrote:  What do you believe?
I believe Jesus is not God but His Son.

So you're not a Trinitarian. That rules out most major Christian sects, except notably LDS (to the extent they can be called "Christian", if Alla is representative they're certainly a curious atypical sect). Fair enough. One less triple Salchow to perform.

(16-04-2017 01:36 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I believe there is no actual devil entity, that he is a symbolic representation of humankind's sinful nature.

Then presumably you would see God as a symbolic representation of humankind's compassionate nature, no?

(16-04-2017 01:36 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I don't even believe in a literal hell (believe it or not - but I have this phobia/fear I might be wrong). I believe heaven will be on earth.

That's just a baby step away from we make our own heaven and hell right here and now on Earth.

(16-04-2017 01:36 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I think that covers the main parts.

I don't see any problems with these beliefs. Not sure where your angst is coming from.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-04-2017, 01:32 PM
SeaJay Wrote:Because if I am wrong, then I go to hell
Why do you believe that being wrong can be the way to hell?
What is sin against the Holy Ghost according to your understanding?

16-04-2017, 02:24 PM
SeaJay Wrote:1. I used to study the Bible, and in November 2010 I was studying the Book of Revelation, and I came across something called the “lake of fire”. I believe hell is just the grave but the ‘lake of fire’ was new to me. Don’t know how I missed it in the past as I’ve read the bible twice and studied it a lot.
If you missed "lake of fire" in the Book of Revelation then you probably missed one more thing in Matthew 8:12 and 22:13 - "outer darkness". Don't you think that "lake of fire" and "outer darkness" are two opposites? One place has sources of light and heat - fire, another place does not have any sources of light and heat, it is dark and cold place.
Those who sin against the Holy Ghost are going to be in this place - outer darkness.
Can those who sin against the Holy Ghost be in two different places at the same time? Is it even possible for a body to be in two different places at the same time?

SeaJay Wrote:Also, I worry I might have said something bad about the Holy Spirit in the past.
So, you say that you worry you might have said something bad about the Holy Ghost. Do you know what specifically you said or you have no idea?

16-04-2017, 02:36 PM
(16-04-2017 01:32 PM)Alla Wrote:  
SeaJay Wrote:Because if I am wrong, then I go to hell
Why do you believe that being wrong can be the way to hell?
What is sin against the Holy Ghost according to your understanding?
I really do no want to get into this again.

Sorry, but it's all there in post #1 and post #56

[+] 2 users Like SeaJay's post
16-04-2017, 02:39 PM
OK, you did NOT sin against the Holy Ghost.

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
16-04-2017, 02:56 PM
(16-04-2017 02:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  OK, you did NOT sin against the Holy Ghost.
Thank you Alla