Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
20-04-2017, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2017 04:01 AM by SeaJay.)
RE: Why I Believe
I asked myself these questions

Do I believe the Garden of Eden was real?
No

Do I believe the flood occurred?
No

Do I believe the sun stood still?
No

Do I believe in a real devil entity?
No

Do I believe the dead walked around Jerusalem?
No

Do I have issues with bible morality?
Yes

Do I have issues with bible accuracy?
Yes

Do I have any testable evidence to believe?
No

Do I feel oppressed by Christianity?
Yes (the fear and dogma)

Is the fear of hell ruining my life?
Yes

Do I believe only out of fear of punishment?
Probably

Would I believe if there was no punishment?
I honestly don't know because if there was no fear, then I might look at all of this differently

Would God know I only believe out of fear?
Yes

What is the difference between belief and faith concerning Christianity?
I believe this is real <--- This seems a much firmer proclamation
I have faith this is real <--- Than this

Is there a difference between belief and faith?

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like SeaJay's post
20-04-2017, 02:04 PM
(20-04-2017 01:58 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  Is there a difference between belief and faith?

Faith IMO is dogmatic belief. I don't even know if it's possible really. But it's belief that is counter-argument-proof. i.e. even with evidence that it's false, someone with faith still believes (or claims to).

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-04-2017, 02:45 PM
(20-04-2017 01:58 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  I asked myself these questions

No

No

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

No

Yes (the fear and dogma)

Yes

Probably

Not sure but, probably not?

Yes

Hey SeaJay, I've been going through this channel today Jesus Never Existed, this guy is great at showing all of these literary tropes in the New Testament, it illustrates just how contrived this storytelling is.

It's kind of fun getting on a youtube binge, just thought I'd share. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
20-04-2017, 03:13 PM
(20-04-2017 02:45 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 01:58 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  I asked myself these questions

No

No

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

No

Yes (the fear and dogma)

Yes

Probably

Not sure but, probably not?

Yes

Hey SeaJay, I've been going through this channel today Jesus Never Existed, this guy is great at showing all of these literary tropes in the New Testament, it illustrates just how contrived this storytelling is.

It's kind of fun getting on a youtube binge, just thought I'd share. Thumbsup
Thanks for the vids, I'll be looking to watch them soon

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
20-04-2017, 03:40 PM
So Moses never wrote the Pentateuch and scholars doubt he even existed

John 5 45: Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?”

And the flood never happened, at least there's no archaeological records of it ever happening

Luke 17: 26 Just as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 They were eating and drinking and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all.

Yet Jesus speaks of both as if they were historically correct?

I've checked the apologetics for this and their solutions are never denials, only weak justifications and feeble attempts to explain what's going on here.

[+] 3 users Like SeaJay's post
20-04-2017, 03:55 PM
(20-04-2017 03:40 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  ----
----

Yea, so? Internet was shit back then. Angel

What do you expect? It was written by guys who's job was to keep a myth alive and flourishing.

You seem to think Jesus was a specific person who actually lived at a specific time. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
20-04-2017, 05:07 PM
(20-04-2017 03:40 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  So Moses never wrote the Pentateuch and scholars doubt he even existed

John 5 45: Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?”

And the flood never happened, at least there's no archaeological records of it ever happening

Luke 17: 26 Just as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 They were eating and drinking and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all.

I've checked the apologetics for this and their solutions are never denials, only weak justifications and feeble attempts to explain what's going on here.

Yeah, Jesus speaks of Adam as literal too, you really can't get away from the literal teaching of Genesis and pretend that you give credence to what Jesus says. Of course there isn't a single saying of Jesus in the bible, there's only what anonymous authors put in their stories about their demigod myth decades after his supposed life. It's extremely weak sauce and certainly nothing that has any credibility.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
20-04-2017, 05:11 PM
(20-04-2017 01:58 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  Is there a difference between belief and faith?
Here again it's important to define terms. Faith in common usage is either religious faith (belief without a requirement of evidence) or simple experience-based trust. In other words, near polar opposites.

Belief is the acceptance that something is true or exists. That acceptance can have a sound basis (trust based on past experience or other data such as the experience of others, scientific research, etc) or an unsound basis (the failed epistemology of religious faith).

So beliefs have a basis; religious faith is a poor basis for beliefs.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
20-04-2017, 05:40 PM
SeaJay Wrote:Interesting fact (well, I think so), nowhere in the bible are we told the serpent was satan
Fact: there is a claim in the fairy tale Revelation 12: 9: "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world... "

Satan has many names, "serpent" is one of them. Satan is called "serpent" for a reason. Serpent is symbol of God YHWH. When Israelites looked at brass serpent(symbol of YHWH) they were saved.
When Satan talked to Adam and Eve they saw a man(spirit) and not a snake. But why did Moses write "serpent"? Because Moses (and John and all prophets of God) knew that the only way for Satan to deceive people is to look and to sound like God. If Satan showed what he really is and if he said what he really thinks nobody would believe him.
So, Moses called Satan "serpent" because Satan deceived Eve by promising her what only God YHWH can promise:" you surely shall not die".

SeaJay Wrote:Also, Genesis says the serpent was the craftiest of all 'beasts' that were made.
Isn't according to the fairy tale Revelation 11:7 and Revelation 15:2 "beast" is one of Satan's names?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
20-04-2017, 05:46 PM
SeaJay Wrote:What is the difference between belief and faith concerning?
Belief is useless and worthless thing. Another name for belief is "dead faith"
Faith is strong conviction that leads to actions. Actions bring fruits(consequences).
Faith is important, belief can be easily thrown to a garbage can.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 3 users Like Alla's post