Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
22-04-2017, 03:11 AM
RE: Why I Believe
(22-04-2017 03:06 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  If I think about it, it truly is absolutely ridiculous to think the Supreme Almighty Creator of the Universe, the entity that created black holes, billions of galaxies and sextillion of stars, is using Scottish footballer Kenny Miller to communicate with me.

It's comical how my mind works on times. Scary too.

I don't think it's your brain doing that to you. I think you were prolly trained to be that way, it wasn't your fault, or choice. It also didn't happen on it's own.

And this is the sickness that is religion. Simpy a tool for controlling you at that deep of a level exercised en mass for so long no one even remembers who started the madness.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
22-04-2017, 03:14 AM
SeaJay,

You might find it funny that if you dig up the DSM and pull up schizophrenia, it's pretty much identical to religion. So much so that they specifically have a clause that states that if your delusions are "religious" or related to some sort of deity then you are exempt from the diagnosis of schizophrenia lol

No lie I encourage you to look for yourself.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
22-04-2017, 03:31 AM
(22-04-2017 01:23 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  But I feel as if God is teaching me a lesson here and it's as if He is saying "You know not to test me, but, seeing as you prayed...remember Kenny Miller? There's your answer."

God: "Heads I win, tails you lose."

Bowing
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
22-04-2017, 03:35 AM
(22-04-2017 03:06 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  If I think about it, it truly is absolutely ridiculous to think the Supreme Almighty Creator of the Universe, the Entity that created black holes, billions of galaxies and sextillion of stars, is using Scottish footballer Kenny Miller to communicate with me.

Hug

There is a happy medium to be had if you wish to remain a theist.
22-04-2017, 03:41 AM
(22-04-2017 03:35 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(22-04-2017 03:06 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  If I think about it, it truly is absolutely ridiculous to think the Supreme Almighty Creator of the Universe, the Entity that created black holes, billions of galaxies and sextillion of stars, is using Scottish footballer Kenny Miller to communicate with me.

Hug

What is that medium?

I've always been interested in Buddhism. They have a hell too! But it's not eternal. Still, I'd only be following the methods not the dogma

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
22-04-2017, 03:53 AM
(22-04-2017 03:41 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(22-04-2017 03:35 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Hug

What is that medium?

I've always been interested in Buddhism. They have a hell too! But it's not eternal. Still, I'd only be following the methods not the dogma

.... I didn't realize Buddhism has hell. Why not just live your life as a secular Christian? Try B'nai Noahidism (though I would caution you to choose a very moderate and laid back form).

Maybe just try being spiritual and focus on enjoying your life with a quiet respect for a higher power.
22-04-2017, 04:34 AM
(22-04-2017 03:53 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(22-04-2017 03:41 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  What is that medium?

.... I didn't realize Buddhism has hell. Why not just live your life as a secular Christian? Try B'nai Noahidism (though I would caution you to choose a very moderate and laid back form).

Maybe just try being spiritual and focus on enjoying your life with a quiet respect for a higher power.
I've always been fascinated by paganism, what with the druids, mother earth, solstices etc. I think it plays on my love of British history.

I think I'm just going to meditate, chill out, and learn to live each moment like it really was my last. The trouble is, I don't think I can really to all of that unless I become an atheist. Still, I will continue to research and test my beliefs before I make any decision.

Rhetorically speaking, how do you even know when you stop believing. I've asked myself that question and I'm not sure if I don't believe.

EDIT: Buddhism and hell. It's a state you are in once you die with negative karma or not enough karma, or something. There's also a heaven and gods (though no gods are defined as far as I know). The main point from a Buddhist's perspective though, is that you can go above and beyond gods and other realms of existence, and that is the true goal. Even gods die they say.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like SeaJay's post
22-04-2017, 05:20 AM
We're naturally pattern seekers. So much so that we find patterns even when there aren't any. We also naturally try to reaffirm our beliefs.

So it sounds to me that you still believe prayers get answered somehow, and while you do believe this, your brain will find some pattern somewhere to reaffirm. There's no failure criteria, because you're eventually going to accept pretty much anything and assign meaning to it.

Prayer doesn't work, that's been scientifically demonstrated. Even if it did, it produces such a weird narrative. What's going on? God needs prompting to become aware of good ideas? God's plan is a load of shit and he needs people to point out the errors?

Clearly not all prayers are answered, unless you accept anything as an answer; in which case you may as well pray to an ant.

I'm not in any way trying to criticise you, I'm trying to aid rational thought Smile If I'm not helping, I'll be quiet Tongue

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2017, 05:35 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2017 05:40 AM by TheInquisition.)
(22-04-2017 01:23 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  It's happened again Sad

I was watching a Youtube video on testing prayer. It mentioned how the bible was clear that if you prayer in Jesus' name, what you pray for will come to pass. So I tried the test. I prayed three times.

I took five 6 sided dice (as that video suggested) and first prayed that when I rolled the dice, all the dice would come up a 6. They didn’t.

Then I prayed a second time, this time for four of the d6s to come up a 6. They didn’t.

I then prayed a third time asking for three of the d6s to come up a 6. They didn’t.

About a minute or two later I glanced at the T.V and on the sports news channel, there was a clip showing Kenny Miller celebrated a goal with another player and Miller pointed to the sky with one hand. Sucks

I know folk will say "Oh that's convenient - when a specific situation was prayed for, nothing happens, but then a coincidence happens and that's your evidence!?"

But I feel as if God is teaching me a lesson here and it's as if He is saying "You know not to test me, but, seeing as you prayed...remember Kenny Miller? There's your answer."

Something like that. Really sucks

I remember when I was just trying to start thinking critically about whether god answered prayer or communicated with me about things. I was really agonizing about it in my room and I sat down in a rocking chair too fast and it rocked backwards and it fell backwards with me in it onto the floor.

I think the effect that had on me was that what just happened was just too stupid to be able to fit it into a "god is telling me something" narrative. As I comically lay on my back in the rocking chair flat on the floor, I told myself- STOP IT! I refuse to automatically relate things that happen to a cosmic entity trying to communicate to me.

It took a while, but I eventually learned how to train my mind to quit connecting dots that aren't really connected.

The chair incident was equivalent to someone slapping me in the face and saying - snap out of it!

Of course I could have interpreted it the other way, maybe god was telling me to snap out of it and stop questioning. Consider

But it was too stupid and Keystone copish to really attribute it to a god, so I just refused to interpret it like that. If god was really trying to communicate in that manner, he had to do a better job and be a LOT more clear in what he was trying to convey. You don't communicate with someone with serious questions and a lot of angst by silly stunts like that.

[Image: batman-slap-robin-snap-out-of-it.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
22-04-2017, 05:41 AM
Why is communication so damn hard for God? He sucks!

However, he actually manages to communicate with people even though he doesn't exist. Now I have to say, that is damn impressive.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post