Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
24-04-2017, 03:37 PM
RE: Why I Believe
(24-04-2017 03:24 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 02:54 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  You say that you have problems with the "brutality" etc. in Christianity??? I have no recollection of reading anywhere in the NT that Jesus advocated brutality, slavery or human sacrifice.

Really now? Allow me to refresh your obviously *rather* selective recollections.

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’ “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. – Jesus (Matthew 10:34-38)

Luke 19:27 King James Version (KJV)
27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war”, “His eyes were as a flame of fire”, clothed in a vesture dipped in blood“, and “out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God."

And then there's the whole figgy tantrum. What a peaceful, loving guy, indeed. Dodgy

Good thing he most probably never existed.

Even better thing - in a couple of centuries his name will join the rest of the (arguably less vile and hurtful to humankind) mythologies of the past. Can't wait.

So conflicted right now; really want to Like the post. On the one hand the mythicism. On the other hand,....everything else.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Not forgetting the advocating of murder for gays and suppression of females voices, DB your god is more evil than satan. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
24-04-2017, 03:44 PM
(24-04-2017 03:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  So conflicted right now

Tongue

[Image: motivator_cognitive_dissonance.jpeg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
24-04-2017, 03:47 PM
(24-04-2017 03:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 03:24 PM)Vera Wrote:  Really now? Allow me to refresh your obviously *rather* selective recollections.

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’ “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. – Jesus (Matthew 10:34-38)

Luke 19:27 King James Version (KJV)
27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war”, “His eyes were as a flame of fire”, clothed in a vesture dipped in blood“, and “out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God."

And then there's the whole figgy tantrum. What a peaceful, loving guy, indeed. Dodgy

Good thing he most probably never existed.

Even better thing - in a couple of centuries his name will join the rest of the (arguably less vile and hurtful to humankind) mythologies of the past. Can't wait.

So conflicted right now; really want to Like the post. On the one hand the mythicism. On the other hand,....everything else.

Luke, join the dark side and we can rule the galaxy together as father and son. Wink
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
24-04-2017, 04:35 PM
Hey, I just want to share a joke and here's as good a place as any!

A Christian, a Muslim and a Buddhist walk into a bar.

At least 2 of them are wrong.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
24-04-2017, 06:55 PM
(24-04-2017 03:44 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 03:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  So conflicted right now

Tongue

[Image: motivator_cognitive_dissonance.jpeg]
Well for one thing, you're (unsurprisingly for an atheist) quoting the Bible correctly and with better ability than the Christian you're debating with. For another thing; yeah, sometimes cog.diss. is more than an (excellent) podcast.

(24-04-2017 03:47 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 03:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  So conflicted right now; really want to Like the post. On the one hand the mythicism. On the other hand,....everything else.

Luke, join the dark side and we can rule the galaxy together as father and son. Wink

Tongue But I have cookies already. Death Cookies according to Chick Publications.

Need to think of a witty signature.
24-04-2017, 07:12 PM
(24-04-2017 02:54 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  whackjob

Thus Spake Eponymous. Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-04-2017, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2017 07:54 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(24-04-2017 04:35 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  A Christian, a Muslim and a Buddhist walk into a bar.

At least 2 of them are wrong.

About what?

Hobo
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
24-04-2017, 08:19 PM
About who watches them masturbate.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
24-04-2017, 09:00 PM
I am so confuse. I have theories but am not at all sure of the intent of the punchline. Feeling thick now.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle