Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
25-04-2017, 08:00 AM
RE: Why I Believe
Although, it may, some day soon, be safe to come out in the open. Viz, this article in the Guardian on 14 April 2017:

"Is there any archaeological evidence for Jesus?
Part of the popular confusion around the historicity of Jesus may be caused by peculiar archaeological arguments raised in relation to him. Recently there have been claims that Jesus was a great-grandson of Cleopatra, complete with ancient coins allegedly showing Jesus wearing his crown of thorns."
Cite: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/a...d-and-died
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
25-04-2017, 09:29 AM
(25-04-2017 08:00 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Although, it may, some day soon, be safe to come out in the open. Viz, this article in the Guardian on 14 April 2017:

Part of the popular confusion around the historicity of Jesus may be caused by peculiar archaeological arguments raised in relation to him. Recently there have been claims that Jesus was a great-grandson of Cleopatra, complete with ancient coins allegedly showing Jesus wearing his crown of thorns."

Not exactly a great article; reads like every apologist I've read for years.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
25-04-2017, 09:30 AM
(25-04-2017 09:29 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 08:00 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Although, it may, some day soon, be safe to come out in the open. Viz, this article in the Guardian on 14 April 2017:

Not exactly a great article; reads like every apologist I've read for years.
That's what I was thinking

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like SeaJay's post
25-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Post deleted (wrong thread)

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
25-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Moved to where you put it.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
25-04-2017, 12:38 PM
(25-04-2017 07:54 AM)kim Wrote:  I kind of relate, Deltabravo.
That is a new and interesting story - new to me, anyway. Not that I want to even know any more of this story. But I do think it is interesting.

It's like ... yea, I liked Rogue One. It was a bit more relative and relevant to A New Hope, but it was still just as unnecessary as One, Two, and Three. AND they're ALL fiction.

So, yes. Interesting but, ok ... more fiction ... kind of poorly written. Shy

Well, there's no Death Star in my story but I think it could grow legs.

I had this idea based on the Roland Emmerich film Anonymous He took all the alternative theories about who Shakespeare was and mashed them into one plot. It hung together surprising well, which you would only realise if you took an interest in the subject but few do, so it flopped.

I think one could take all these different narratives and do the same thing. It's one of those "really great" ideas that no one would like because it would offend everyone of every religious persuasion and and every historian. Which is, of course, why it appeals to me. Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
25-04-2017, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2017 12:47 PM by Deltabravo.)
(25-04-2017 09:30 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 09:29 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  Not exactly a great article; reads like every apologist I've read for years.
That's what I was thinking

Gruaniad articles rarely are good these days. It's become more of a mainstream newspaper of late with the same schlock writing styles as most papers looking for subscription.

It's interesting, though, that the author knows about the Cleopatra theory. I think it shows that the idea is getting more widely known. I do know that our former forum member has been concentrating on other means of disseminating his message and has a very large following. I get regular update from some of the sites where he is circulating.

Personally, obviously I don't have any problem with it. It either has an element of truth to it, which means it shows that Jesus was not divine, which I had thought would go down well here, or it's a "ripping yarn". At least there's no virgin birth, walking on water and raising the dead.
25-04-2017, 12:53 PM
(25-04-2017 07:55 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 05:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Dodgy

...are you, like a masochist? Should we call someone?

I'm ok. I have some pills I can take.

Can I have some?

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-04-2017, 01:31 AM
I've always believed that hell is never mentioned or described in the OT. But upon reading this article found on this website:

http://www.kyroot.com

I came across this verse in Psalms (it's in the rebuttal section):

16 "The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish"

Do you think this is describing eternal torment of someone who has died and gone to hell or someone who is suffering because they know they are going to die, i.e. the thought of dying causes them suffering?

26-04-2017, 01:37 AM
(26-04-2017 01:31 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I've always believed that hell is never mentioned or described in the OT. But upon reading this article found on this website:

http://www.kyroot.com

I came across this verse in Psalms (it's in the rebuttal section):

16 "The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish"

Do you think this is describing eternal torment of someone who has died and gone to hell or someone who is suffering because they know they are going to die, i.e. the thought of dying causes them suffering?

What I think, is your question is slightly irrelevant as it is written it can mean quite a bit more than only those 2 options. However, given what I've seen in people's last moments alive, distress and anguish may not be strong enough terms to describe the fear of death one faces once they know they can not escape it, when they know it is imminent. So it is reasonable to think that is exactly what it is talking about. However it's so utterly vague it's kinda meaningless (just like almost all of the bible new and old)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post