Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
26-04-2017, 03:54 PM
RE: Why I Believe
(26-04-2017 01:49 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  
Quote:This is why I will never live in warmer climates. Right here. That and the alligator meme that shows similar to this.

Buddy there's some spider memes that creep me right out. The bugs would do me in too.

[Image: Spider-Memes-4.jpg]

Man, it's not like I wanted to sleep later tonight or anything... *shudder* You're right, that meme is creep-worthy.

Quote:I guess it would depend on how you're using faith, but in the traditional Christian sense, you can't not believe and still have faith.

Plus I'm trying to figure out what you're even meaning. To me it's like you're saying "I don't believe the Titans will win the Super Bowl, but I have faith they will". That makes no sense to me. What does make sense is "I don't believe the Titans will win the Super Bowl but I'm going to continue to support them".

I could be wrong entirely, so SeaJay, feel free to tell me that I am...but I look at the statement that you quoted as meaning that it's one thing to Feel and another thing to intellectually believe. We can't necessarily control what we feel about something at times, even if we no longer intellectually believe it. Which sorta goes to your ending example, if that's the case; in one's heart of hearts, a person may really want the Titans to go to the Super Bowl, and hope that they pull off an impossible season, while knowing that it's highly unlikely to occur when they look at it intellectually.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
26-04-2017, 04:09 PM
(26-04-2017 03:54 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 01:49 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Buddy there's some spider memes that creep me right out. The bugs would do me in too.

[Image: Spider-Memes-4.jpg]

Man, it's not like I wanted to sleep later tonight or anything... *shudder* You're right, that meme is creep-worthy.

Quote:I guess it would depend on how you're using faith, but in the traditional Christian sense, you can't not believe and still have faith.

Plus I'm trying to figure out what you're even meaning. To me it's like you're saying "I don't believe the Titans will win the Super Bowl, but I have faith they will". That makes no sense to me. What does make sense is "I don't believe the Titans will win the Super Bowl but I'm going to continue to support them".

I could be wrong entirely, so SeaJay, feel free to tell me that I am...but I look at the statement that you quoted as meaning that it's one thing to Feel and another thing to intellectually believe. We can't necessarily control what we feel about something at times, even if we no longer intellectually believe it. Which sorta goes to your ending example, if that's the case; in one's heart of hearts, a person may really want the Titans to go to the Super Bowl, and hope that they pull off an impossible season, while knowing that it's highly unlikely to occur when they look at it intellectually.
That's a good way of explaining it, especially the feelings and intellectual parts

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
26-04-2017, 04:13 PM
(26-04-2017 04:09 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 03:54 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Man, it's not like I wanted to sleep later tonight or anything... *shudder* You're right, that meme is creep-worthy.

That's a good way of explaining it, especially the feelings and intellectual parts

Uh huh. Soooooo ... someone does want this god to watch them masturbate. Uh huh ... I see. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
26-04-2017, 04:16 PM
(26-04-2017 04:13 PM)kim Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 04:09 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  That's a good way of explaining it, especially the feelings and intellectual parts

Uh huh. Soooooo ... someone does want this god to watch them masturbate. Uh huh ... I see. Blink

You know... I'd take a kinky pervert god over a murdering asshole god any day of the week.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
26-04-2017, 04:22 PM
(26-04-2017 04:16 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 04:13 PM)kim Wrote:  Uh huh. Soooooo ... someone does want this god to watch them masturbate. Uh huh ... I see. Blink

You know... I'd take a kinky pervert god over a murdering asshole god any day of the week.

Men. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-04-2017, 11:21 PM
(26-04-2017 04:13 PM)kim Wrote:  
(26-04-2017 04:09 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  That's a good way of explaining it, especially the feelings and intellectual parts

Not sure what you're on about

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
26-04-2017, 11:27 PM
Another issue that causes issues is how the bible mentions believers will fall away in the last days. I can't shake the feeling that if I did become an atheist, then it sort of confirms what the bible says would happen.

To stretch the argument to beyond screaming point, it's as if my falling away only serves to add to the legitimacy of the bible records. I'm not saying I fully believe this, but it is something I think about.

26-04-2017, 11:34 PM
(26-04-2017 11:27 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  Another issue that causes issues is how the bible mentions believers will fall away in the last days. I can't shake the feeling that if I did become an atheist, then it sort of confirms what the bible says would happen.

To stretch the argument to beyond screaming point, it's as if my falling away only serves to add to the legitimacy of the bible records. I'm not saying I fully believe this, but it is something I think about.

... which says more about the human condition than it does about the validity of the claim.

I had the same feeling when I saw Peter Pan on stage when I was 7.

Was the death of all those fairies really my fault? I mean, where are the fairies now? Gone!

It's heartbreaking.

[Image: 9bb04f4b73a93d5396577e4860796754.jpg]

Wink

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
26-04-2017, 11:36 PM
So, you have decided we are in "the last days", huh? And do you think that if you "decide" to not believe, that it will fulfill some kind of "prophecy"? Or if you continue to believe ... you will stave off "the last days"? Shy

27-04-2017, 12:13 AM
(26-04-2017 11:36 PM)kim Wrote:  So, you have decided we are in "the last days", huh? And do you think that if you "decide" to not believe, that it will fulfill some kind of "prophecy"? Or if you continue to believe ... you will stave off "the last days"? Shy
I know it sounds silly Kim, but that's just how my mind works currently