Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
27-04-2017, 02:15 PM
RE: Why I Believe
(27-04-2017 02:01 PM)JesseB Wrote:  lol, one of my best friends and I have had several candid talks about religion. He is Catholic and well he told me a few things

1. Being Catholic helps keep him sane
2. He doesn't want trouble with his family
3. He fears he changes his mind too easily (and is openly pretty gullible and prone to believe the first thing someone tells him) and tries to resist changing his mind cause he fears he changes his mind too easily. (it's a little confusing but I get why he feels that way)
4. He's bothered because he considers himself a rational person over all, just one that is too trusting of what people tell him. And he knows I am also a rational person who has done extensive research. He knows I have come to my position for a very solid reason, which means it's something he feels obligated to consider, but.... well.... it makes him uncomfortable (his word for it)

He's a programmer and knows science doesn't back up the bible, he isn't stupid enough to take the bible literally, and he openly acknowledges he has a high degree of cognitive dissonance on this subject. He just is too scared to face up to it, he knows it and admits it.

In other words for all practical purposes he's already an Atheist. He just isn't willing to face that fact yet. I think this is similar to what SeaJay has been goin through.
I can relate to this

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
27-04-2017, 05:29 PM
(27-04-2017 11:03 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  One day I'll find out why Girly Man keeps posting a picture of Gwyneth Paltrow jumping up in a bikini.

Its so that HoC doesn't need his little blue pills.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
04-05-2017, 01:16 AM
So, if someone isn't sure what they believe anymore, does that make them agnostic?

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
04-05-2017, 03:27 AM
(04-05-2017 01:16 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  So, if someone isn't sure what they believe anymore, does that make them agnostic?

Agnostic is such a blanket term for almost everything. Think of yourself as undecided or not sure, its nice and simple. Have you considered going to a Unitarian church in the interim ? You'd still get the camaraderie and social networking of church but with much less proselytizing and hellfire, think of it as a methadone prescription to withdrawal gradually from religion.
04-05-2017, 04:23 AM
(04-05-2017 01:16 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  So, if someone isn't sure what they believe anymore, does that make them agnostic?

Kinda, maybe? Agnostic is a word that's changed meaning a lot and everyone who self-identifies as agnostic seems to have a different definition for it, which kinda makes it a pointless word.

Gnosis is Greek for knowledge. Agnostic thus means "without knowledge". The way I personally use the word is "without making a claim to absolute knowledge". So I say that I am an agnostic atheist meaning that I'm fairly well convinced there's no God hiding in the shrubbery, but that I don't claim absolutely that there isn't.

As to the reason I say that, frankly it's more because religious dickheads then bang on about how unreasonable it is for someone to claim absolutely that there is no God, but by the time the likelihood of your God's existence is on a par with that of Santa Claus, it's at most a semantic difference to say there's some miniscule chance that those idiots with their "God hates fags" signs might be correct, as to say that they're certainly insane.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-05-2017, 04:24 AM

No, it makes them confused.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
04-05-2017, 04:48 AM
(27-04-2017 10:20 AM)Vera Wrote:  Seriously, Girly, my dearest, if we have to keep being subjected to that epitome of insipidness, can you at least find a picture with a slightly less inane smile.

Epitome of insipidness!?!? My Gwynnies!?!? Gasp
I don't like you no morez. Angry

(27-04-2017 11:03 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  One day I'll find out why Girly Man keeps posting a picture of Gwyneth Paltrow jumping up in a bikini.

The Gwynnies is an expression of love and joy, it is to each to find their own Gwynnies. I imagine Girly reposts this one from a convenient location, like his bucket.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
04-05-2017, 04:58 AM
Quote:I don't like you no morez. Angry

Take a number, have a seat, can I bring you something? Coffee? Lunch? A bed? It's gonna be a loooooong wait Drinking Beverage

[Image: 48280865.cms]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
04-05-2017, 05:06 AM
(04-05-2017 04:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  
Quote:I don't like you no morez. Angry

Take a number, have a seat, can I bring you something? Coffee? Lunch? A bed? It's gonna be a loooooong wait Drinking Beverage

I lied. Heart

Also don't entirely disagree. Loving her forever does not mean being blind to her flaws, namely woofuckery. Maybe it is time for Daisy Ridley to ascend. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-05-2017, 05:10 AM

I think it makes them honest.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post