Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
20-04-2017, 09:19 AM
RE: Why I Believe
I think the natives were supposed to be the Lamanites.
The Lamonites were supposed to be the descendants and followers of Laman and Lemuel, two rebellious brothers of a family of Israelites who crossed the ocean in a ship around 600 BC. Their brother Nephi is supposed to be the leader of the rival Nephites.

Or maybe the natives were the Nephites - who knows?

This is so much like Generations and those other Star Trek spin-off series. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-04-2017, 09:30 AM
GirlyMan Wrote:To most Christian sects, this interpretation reeks of blasphemy. Yours is not a story of a fall, but rather of ascension. I personally think that it comes closer to capturing the intended takeaway of the metaphor better than the standard Christian original sin bullshit.
My favorite fairy tale is about ascension through the fall. First you fall as low as possible then ascension. Two OPPOSITES.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
20-04-2017, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2017 09:46 AM by TheInquisition.)
(20-04-2017 09:19 AM)kim Wrote:  I think the natives were supposed to be the Lamanites.
The Lamonites were supposed to be the descendants and followers of Laman and Lemuel, two rebellious brothers of a family of Israelites who crossed the ocean in a ship around 600 BC. Their brother Nephi is supposed to be the leader of the rival Nephites.

Or maybe the natives were the Nephites - who knows?

This is so much like Generations and those other Star Trek spin-off series. Drinking Beverage

And the Jaredites proceeded them, apparently they escaped the confusion of language from the Tower of Babel event. Facepalm

So the Jaredites came to America on barges Facepalm because of the myth of the Tower of Babel. Laugh out loadLaugh out load

Too bad Joey outs himself as a liar right out of the gate by referencing the Tower of Babel myth.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
20-04-2017, 09:32 AM
SeaJay Wrote:As LDS I was taught the garden of Eden was in Missouri. They certainly believed it to be true.

We still do, or at least I do.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
20-04-2017, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2017 10:35 AM by Fatbaldhobbit.)
(20-04-2017 09:30 AM)Alla Wrote:  
GirlyMan Wrote:To most Christian sects, this interpretation reeks of blasphemy. Yours is not a story of a fall, but rather of ascension. I personally think that it comes closer to capturing the intended takeaway of the metaphor better than the standard Christian original sin bullshit.
My favorite fairy tale is about ascension through the fall. First you fall as low as possible then ascension. Two OPPOSITES.

As others have noted, you are re-imagining a fable to mean the exact opposite of what it was intended to mean.

While you are free to do so, you cannot claim any justification for doing so, beyond personal desire.

Historical context, textual context, corroboration from other texts, cultural and religious interpretations - all coincide with the traditional interpretations.

ETA: Ignore this post. After further research, this is an LDS belief. My bad.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
20-04-2017, 09:41 AM
(20-04-2017 09:15 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 09:13 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Apparently mastering ship building to a degree they could cross the Atlantic, forgetting it all, then remembering it when it came time to head back and forgetting again. Drinking Beverage

They are crafty.

Oh? Ya think I could talk Aliza into making me a nice quilt?

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
20-04-2017, 09:43 AM
(20-04-2017 09:06 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 08:54 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  As LDS I was taught the garden of Eden was in Missouri. They certainly believed it to be true.
Don't they also think that the Indians were the decedents of some Jewish people?
They do yes. Lamanites and Nephites

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
20-04-2017, 09:44 AM
(15-04-2017 11:10 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:01 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  The subconscious is in the driver seat. It's in control.

The funniest thing to me is its incessant need to create a spokesperson and let it think it's large and in charge. Why do that? It's like it doesn't trust itself or something.

No, it's not a need, it's just an annoying side effect.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-04-2017, 09:46 AM
(20-04-2017 09:32 AM)Alla Wrote:  
SeaJay Wrote:As LDS I was taught the garden of Eden was in Missouri. They certainly believed it to be true.

Don't be silly, the Garden of Eden is in Lucas Kansas. Been there a few times, myself. They have an airport and everything. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-04-2017, 09:46 AM
(20-04-2017 09:32 AM)Alla Wrote:  

Why?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user