Why I Believe

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
14-05-2017, 03:33 PM
RE: Why I Believe
(14-05-2017 01:38 PM)Vera Wrote:  (Hell, my neighbour lost both her children, son at 15 to suicide and daughter at 40 to cancer, and she, too, was an ardent Seventh Day adventist.)

Losing kid = God was born on a SATURDAY you heathen mob.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-05-2017, 03:48 PM
(14-05-2017 03:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  Losing kid = God was born on a SATURDAY you heathen mob.

(Took me a while... brain's slowly disintegrating, dust to dust and all that rot...)

Also = the end is NIGH and I for one can't wait... kinda reminds me of a not-so-good Bulgarian song, where he whines how if you go away, just for a second, I'll hide my face in a cloud and woe to the earth then, no rain, no snow, no sun, if you go away just for a second. What a selfish bastard. And all those who can't wait for the world to end.

[Image: end-is-near-cartoon.jpg]

Jeez, is it me or am I becoming ever more incoherent, at a pace that's too much even for me Shocking

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
14-05-2017, 05:50 PM
(14-05-2017 12:32 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  Thanks all for the replies

Is anyone else having issues with notifications? They seem pretty random of late, sometimes I get them, other times, nothing.

Just letting you know I'm bringing this to the Admins so they know there's a problem.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
14-05-2017, 06:26 PM
@seajay:

From Moms, after I asked:

Sometimes your notifications go into a junk file (so check that). Also, you only get one notification until you check the thread.

I hope this was helpful. Let the forum team know if there are still problems.
15-05-2017, 01:43 AM
(14-05-2017 06:26 PM)julep Wrote:  @seajay:

From Moms, after I asked:

Sometimes your notifications go into a junk file (so check that). Also, you only get one notification until you check the thread.

I hope this was helpful. Let the forum team know if there are still problems.
Thanks Julep

There's nothing in my junk/spam folder, but it might be that I received an email and just deleted it without checking the post. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
18-05-2017, 03:41 AM
JWs just knocked my door and handed me a leaflet. The usual stuff. They were very pleasant

One had the same name as my sister, the other, the same name as my father.

When asked if they would be interested in a return visit I said to them "To be fair I don't want to waste your time because I don't know what I believe."

Remember I said in post #56 how I'd get 'mind-pops', where seemingly random words would pop into my head? I'm not 100% sure but a few days ago I think the name 'David' popped into my mind and yes, one of the JWs was called 'David' (the other was called Hayley). Now I'm feeling a bit anxious, but then I questioned if this was a sign, how difficult would it have been for me to have two mind pops, 'David, and Hayley'? Why just the one name, 'David'?

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
18-05-2017, 03:53 AM
I'm just offering my thoughts on the matter Smile

What is the most likely explanation here? That this thought came from you and just happened to match the name of a guy, or that some magical entity of extreme power is using this as a deliberately low-tech, ambiguous and indirect way of sending a message?

I would say that even if something other than your own brain put "David" into your thoughts, that leaves us no closer to knowing what that source was. It could be absolutely anything. The fact that your anxiety is jumping to the conclusion that it's the God of Christianity trying to impress you with parlour tricks just shows how much part of your brain is willing to make such connections.

It's possible by the sounds of it that you didn't even think "David", but that your memories are being corrupted. Memories are notoriously unreliable.

But even if it was David, we all get thoughts coming into our brain all the time. We all have lots of experiences. Now and again, there's going to be times the two seemingly align. We just ignore all the times they don't: confirmation bias. And memories can seem more significant in hindsight, once we've made a connection. We can start to fabricate them (unconsciously). It's like an internal telephone game. Memories change each time we access them.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-05-2017, 04:00 AM
PS: If it wasn't this, how long would it be before the name "David" came up somewhere in your life? It's a common name. It's almost unavoidable it would come up. And since the "prediction" was not specific about when this would happen, it can't lose.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
18-05-2017, 04:03 AM
(18-05-2017 03:41 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Remember I said in post #56 how I'd get 'mind-pops', where seemingly random words would pop into my head? I'm not 100% sure but a few days ago I think the name 'David' popped into my mind and yes, one of the JWs was called 'David' (the other was called Hayley). Now I'm feeling a bit anxious, but then I questioned if this was a sign, how difficult would it have been for me to have two mind pops, 'David, and Hayley'? Why just the one name, 'David'?
Think about it logically: There are no signs of anything, only coincidence. And how many people in your country are called "David" or "Hayley" Probably MILLIONS.

For example, my name is Daniel. A religious name in origin, I believe, and I know at least 8ish other Daniels, at least in my social circle. I know 2 Davids, and have 2 uncles with the same name lol.

Another Example: I even went to school with a boy, in my class, who had the same surname as me....but was completely unrelated to my family. What was that a sign of? That I need a twin brother? lol.

ANOTHER Example: In school we had history for our high school exams. We had to write a pretend diary about soldiers in WW2. To make it more relevant, our teacher found a book of all the local men who signed up, which had a brief description of their name/where they lived in our town [even the address]/their job in the army etc. She picked names at complete random, handed them out, and then once we all had them read out the info from the book to us. Mine was "Walter Lowe", which interestingly enough Walter was my great uncles name, so I was happy with the choice. As she read out his info, something VERY unusual happened: "Walter lowed was a medic in the army, and live at [Insert address of house he lived in]". What was unusual about that was it was MY address at the time, the house that I lived in. Again Spooky, yes. Coincidence, a highly improbable one, but definitely. But a sign from above? To do what, join the army? No thanks lol.

Humans are logic creatures, we want to make sense of things and basically connect the dots, when dots are presented. Sometimes those dots aren't in the right order and we mostly make up our own "meanings" to these things...because there tends not to be a meaning behind any of it.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
18-05-2017, 05:22 AM
(18-05-2017 03:41 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  JWs just knocked my door and handed me a leaflet. The usual stuff. They were very pleasant

One had the same name as my sister, the other, the same name as my father.

When asked if they would be interested in a return visit I said to them "To be fair I don't want to waste your time because I don't know what I believe."

Remember I said in post #56 how I'd get 'mind-pops', where seemingly random words would pop into my head? I'm not 100% sure but a few days ago I think the name 'David' popped into my mind and yes, one of the JWs was called 'David' (the other was called Hayley). Now I'm feeling a bit anxious, but then I questioned if this was a sign, how difficult would it have been for me to have two mind pops, 'David, and Hayley'? Why just the one name, 'David'?

I used to do this as I slowly pulled away from religion and trained my mind to discard this type of thinking. It's just the old post-hoc rationalization that I used way too much as a Christian.

Of course I would react with a bit of anger at myself or towards this alleged god that was ineffectively trying to message me. My first question after something like this would be -WTF??!! Is god trying to tell me to be a JW?

If that was god, then I would tell god to go remove his clown makeup and stop knocking on my door with stupid suggestions.

[Image: npn_knock070509_74999a_8col.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post