Poll: Do you believe in atheism?
No
Yes
Not sure (agnostic)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Why I Don't Believe in Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 1.57 Average
04-08-2014, 05:01 PM
RE: Why I Don't Believe in Atheism
(04-08-2014 03:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  I like shit that doesn't involve extry assumptions. God is a big pile of poo riddled with assumptions. Like, we have this problem: what the fuck happened when the universe began?

A. We don't fucking know.
B. Goddidit. God being some weirdo male humanoid who then went awol for the next 15 billion years until some fucken yeast on a crumb of rock in the middle of a cosmic wasteland evolved into a bronze age civilization. The yeast was inspired to write a book about it.

B involves so many extra assumptions it's laughable... why the fuck would anyone ever think that?

I don't believe in Morondog yet he exists. Tongue

Love ya MD

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
04-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Yet another one post wonder. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-08-2014, 05:26 PM
(04-08-2014 05:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yet another one post wonder. Drinking Beverage

If only some of our other new friends would do much the same... Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
04-08-2014, 05:34 PM
(04-08-2014 05:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yet another one post wonder. Drinking Beverage

More like 10 posts.

But yeah, hopefully.

Though with our luck, he'll show up again with the foolproof "Pasquale's Wager".

Because obviously, we've never seen such a perfect thing before. Otherwise we'd already be his flavor of Christian.

Dammit! We need someone to come up with some sort of bingo card script!
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
04-08-2014, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 05:52 PM by hbl.)
(04-08-2014 12:10 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I agree with you that there can't be an infinite regress of causes but neither can there be a consciousness as a first cause of everything because that contradicts a known fact of reality which is the primacy of existence principle.

The only other alternative is an uncaused, eternal universe. This alternative has an advantage in that it doesn't contradict any essential facts of existence as does a consciousness as a first cause or an infinite regress of causes. I think you need to acknowledge that your chosen explanation does conflict with known facts. This is what theists never do. They take the issue of primacy for granted.

A consciousness of a first cause of everything agrees with the known facts that infinite regress and something from nothing are impossible, and the lesser cannot create the greater so as we have a mind so does God. God can't have morals below our own, nor self-awareness below our own.

You've contradicted yourself because on one hand you said "there can't be infinite regress" in nature and then plead for "an uncaused, eternal universe" which is by definition an infinite regress of nature. Be "not doubletongued" (1 Tim. 3.8).

So the explanation in the opening post remains unchallenged, and you need to go back to the drawing board. God is not an atheist and an atheist is not God so stop trying to be. That's the simplest explanation.
04-08-2014, 05:51 PM
(04-08-2014 05:45 PM)hbl Wrote:  A consciousness of a first cause of everything agrees with the known facts that infinite regress and something from nothing are impossible, and the lesser cannot create the greater so as we have a mind so does God. God can't have morals below our own, nor self-awareness below our own.

Two unsubstantiated assertions.
You don't know that there ever was 'nothing'.
Order comes from disorder all the time. Our brains evolved, our intelligence is a product of that brain - no prior intelligence required.

Quote:You've contradicted yourself because on hand you said "there can't be infinite regress" in nature and then say "an uncaused, eternal universe" which is by definition an infinite regress of nature.

So the explanation in the opening post remains unchallenged, and you need to go back to the drawing board.

Again, you are asserting that something natural could have existed prior to or not of, this universe. You have not proved it or even provided evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
(04-08-2014 05:45 PM)hbl Wrote:  You've contradicted yourself because on one hand you said "there can't be infinite regress" in nature and then plead for "an uncaused, eternal universe" which is by definition an infinite regress of nature. Be "not doubletongued" (1 Tim. 3.8).

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
04-08-2014, 06:00 PM
YAY THE BEST GUY HERE IS BACK Big Grin

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
04-08-2014, 06:03 PM
(04-08-2014 05:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Two unsubstantiated assertions.
You don't know that there ever was 'nothing'.
Again, you are asserting that something natural could have existed prior to or not of, this universe. You have not proved it or even provided evidence.

We know there was never just nothing, because if all there ever was was non-existence then nothing would ever exist--you would not exist--because that which does not exist can't cause anything since it doesn't exist. Something in nature always must come from something.

We know neither the universe always existed or something prior to the universe naturally existed infinitely in the past, because if they had, you would have happened already, having had an eternity to do so.

Therefore, as before in the opening post and continually reiterated with the same proof, nature needs a cause outside of itself, outside of time and space, being uncreated, whom we call God.
04-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Quote:God is not an atheist and an atheist is not God so stop trying to be.

No one is trying to be, except maybe you.
You speak in absolutes and certainties without any evidence whatsoever.

Quote:That's the simplest explanation.
Making up complicated insane stories to explain god is not simple.
The simplest explanation is that there is no god.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post