Poll: Do you believe in atheism?
No
Yes
Not sure (agnostic)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Why I Don't Believe in Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 1.57 Average
06-08-2014, 11:29 AM
RE: Why I Don't Believe in Atheism
One thing we can all agree on: codex's is a no go (unless it's a possessive).

This argument isn't as much fun as arguing with hbl, though.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
06-08-2014, 12:12 PM
(06-08-2014 10:52 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 11:48 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Zero fucking evidence for any of this. The oldest scraps (yes, scraps, many no bigger than credit cards; and nothing close to complete manuscripts or codex's) we have are from centuries after the supposed events. You don't start to see entire codex's until the 8th century. Not only that, but the earliest codex's and manuscripts vary greatly from later versions (i.e. the story of the woman caught in adultery in John is a latter addition, and the oldest versions of Mark originally ended right after the crucifixion without the resurrection), and show clear signs of purposeful editing, revision, miss-translation, copyist mistakes, and omissions.

Troll harder dumbass, you don't know shit. Drinking Beverage

We interrupt this trollbashing to bring you the following message:
The plural of codex is codices.
(conveniently enough, in both the nominative and accusative)

Regularly scheduled programming will now continue.

Thanks. Now I just have to remember to add those to my Google dictionary for future reference.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
06-08-2014, 12:14 PM
(06-08-2014 12:12 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 10:52 AM)cjlr Wrote:  We interrupt this trollbashing to bring you the following message:
The plural of codex is codices.
(conveniently enough, in both the nominative and accusative)

Regularly scheduled programming will now continue.

Thanks. Now I just have to remember to add those to my Google dictionary for future reference.

[Image: the_more_you_know_banner.jpg]

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
06-08-2014, 12:27 PM
On a completely unrelated note, I see now why atheists so rarely have to invent straw men to disparage Christianity.

I already knew that Christianity was flawed enough that an accurate rendering of it sufficed for criticism.

I have just now made the connection that Christianity invents its own straw men for us.
06-08-2014, 12:54 PM
(06-08-2014 12:27 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  On a completely unrelated note, I see now why atheists so rarely have to invent straw men to disparage Christianity.

I already knew that Christianity was flawed enough that an accurate rendering of it sufficed for criticism.

I have just now made the connection that Christianity invents its own straw men for us.

Yes, the basic premises of the religion are so absurd that I often wonder how anyone can swallow any of it. I have two theories: (1) Strong brainwashing; (2) A sort of reverse version of the famous Niels Bohr quote ("Your idea is ... not crazy enough to be true"), i.e., "Christianity is too crazy not to be true." I think G.K. Chesterton would have liked #2, but for most Christians, it's probably #1.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
06-08-2014, 01:00 PM
(06-08-2014 12:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 12:12 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Thanks. Now I just have to remember to add those to my Google dictionary for future reference.

[Image: the_more_you_know_banner.jpg]

But what is it in the dative and the ablative ? Smartass

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-08-2014, 01:10 PM
(05-08-2014 09:55 PM)hbl Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 09:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  7. He was buried in a tomb and after three days rose again.
8. His resurrection was celebrated every year.

You would need to identify the source, the earliest known surviving papyri, and show the source was before Jesus since Jesus was the first and only substantially proven by the eyewitness testimony of the Apostles in various group settings.

Typically copycats lack the well corroborated multiple eyewitness testimony in various group settings and drop off in following because of this.

You need at least the claim of several hundred million followers today if not over a billion.

Actually I'd be happy to do that AFTER you do that. What you say is CLAIMED to be eyewitnesses, yet there is no evidence they were. Claims are not facts. You have not a shred of evidence for your CLAIMS. In fact, if you read them carefully, the fact is, they did not even recognize the "shade" who *appeared* to them. Thomas even after LOOKING at what he saw, STILL didn't recognize what he saw. At the end of Matthew it says, they all doubted about what they were looking at. Theis is not "tesitimony" These are DOUBTS being expressed. Whatever they saw on the Road to Emmaus, they NEVER recognized.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-08-2014, 01:12 PM
I've never fully understood how one would believe in an absence of belief. Perhaps the OP could enlighten me as to how not believing theological claims, is a claim.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
06-08-2014, 01:25 PM
(03-08-2014 11:20 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 11:17 PM)hbl Wrote:  If you don't believe in something you disbelieve in such as God then you contradict yourself because on the one hand you disbelieve in God and the other you don't believe in your disbelief. All I can say to that is be "not doubletongued" (1 Tim. 3.8) and that Satan is in your heart is the author of confusion.

No the opposite would be a contradiction. I don't know how I am gonna get through to someone with such a small closed mind.
You're not. I wouldn't bother.
06-08-2014, 01:33 PM
(03-08-2014 11:17 PM)hbl Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 11:13 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  You don't believe in something you disbelieve in, that's a contradiction. I don't believe in God.

If you don't believe in something you disbelieve in such as God then you contradict yourself because on the one hand you disbelieve in God and the other you don't believe in your disbelief. All I can say to that is be "not doubletongued" (1 Tim. 3.8) and that Satan is in your heart is the author of confusion.

As you can see the Bible takes the moral high ground to Atheism. I would rather be on the common sensical team.

How many world religions claim to follow your god? How many Christian denominations alone are there (3,500+)?

God isn't the author of confusion indeed... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]