Poll: Do you believe in atheism?
No
Yes
Not sure (agnostic)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Why I Don't Believe in Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 1.57 Average
06-08-2014, 01:36 PM
RE: Why I Don't Believe in Atheism
(06-08-2014 01:33 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 11:17 PM)hbl Wrote:  If you don't believe in something you disbelieve in such as God then you contradict yourself because on the one hand you disbelieve in God and the other you don't believe in your disbelief. All I can say to that is be "not doubletongued" (1 Tim. 3.8) and that Satan is in your heart is the author of confusion.

As you can see the Bible takes the moral high ground to Atheism. I would rather be on the common sensical team.

How many world religions claim to follow your god? How many Christian denominations alone are there (3,500+)?

God isn't the author of confusion indeed... :cup:

But obviously he has it right, come on. He's not confused, everyone else is :dodgy:

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2014, 01:40 PM
(06-08-2014 01:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 12:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  [Image: the_more_you_know_banner.jpg]

But what is it in the dative and the ablative ? Smartass

It's standard third declension; codex takes the root codic-, and the accusative and dative plurals use the -ibus ending. Thus, codicibus.

Not that English has case.

... this is my signature!
06-08-2014, 01:41 PM
(06-08-2014 01:33 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 11:17 PM)hbl Wrote:  If you don't believe in something you disbelieve in such as God then you contradict yourself because on the one hand you disbelieve in God and the other you don't believe in your disbelief. All I can say to that is be "not doubletongued" (1 Tim. 3.8) and that Satan is in your heart is the author of confusion.

As you can see the Bible takes the moral high ground to Atheism. I would rather be on the common sensical team.

How many world religions claim to follow your god? How many Christian denominations alone are there (3,500+)?

God isn't the author of confusion indeed... Drinking Beverage

They ALL think they alone possess the *truth*. Weeping

At some point, (maybe not so soon), but at some point the wandering preacher-man from 2000 years ago who claimed the end times were immanent, (and was wrong about that), will not only be a "distant cultural memory", but a "remote"and "FAR distant" cultural memory. The fact is he "saved" humanity from nothing. Homo sapiens is exactly the same primate it was before he wandered around preaching, except for the advances science, math and technology brought to the picture.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-08-2014, 01:44 PM
(06-08-2014 01:12 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I've never fully understood how one would believe in an absence of belief. Perhaps the OP could enlighten me as to how not believing theological claims, is a claim.
KC resigns as admin and TBD returns?

Coincidence? I think not!

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
06-08-2014, 01:45 PM
(06-08-2014 01:44 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 01:12 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I've never fully understood how one would believe in an absence of belief. Perhaps the OP could enlighten me as to how not believing theological claims, is a claim.
KC resigns as admin and TBD returns?

Coincidence? I think not!

Coincidences do happen, but one is wise to be skeptical

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
06-08-2014, 03:22 PM
(06-08-2014 12:54 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Yes, the basic premises of the religion are so absurd that I often wonder how anyone can swallow any of it. I have two theories: (1) Strong brainwashing; (2) A sort of reverse version of the famous Niels Bohr quote ("Your idea is ... not crazy enough to be true"), i.e., "Christianity is too crazy not to be true." I think G.K. Chesterton would have liked #2, but for most Christians, it's probably #1.

Be mindful of the fact that we're regularly on this forum questioning everything and looking at how religious belief ties in with what we know about science and history. People don't normally do that. They just accept rather than think through the logical consequences of their belief. Religion encourages this by extolling the virtues of faith. As a result it seems more ludicrous to us.

My brother for example is quite an intelligent person but being an engineer is driven by a need for everything to fit perfectly together in order.

He had a road to Damascus experience when he was younger with an evangelical church and became a born again Christian so I was quite surprised to find out that he since has had a crisis of faith. I had just assumed that he has since mellowed out a bit but he now recognises why non-Christians have trouble appreciating why people believe in it.

Thinking it through it struck me just how utterly ludicrous it was that someone like him still believed in all that nonsense. It's like a intelligent grown-up still believing in Santa Claus despite being told the actual physics that it would entail because they believe in magic. I've had conversations with him in the past where I have explained things to him like evolution (which he accepts), but he's still driven by an emotional need to believe in the more nebulous concepts like a soul. He has a blind spot when it comes to thinking through what that actually means. For example how it would violate the laws of thermodynamics, how energy requires matter if it is to have order etc.

So in essence my brother's faith relies on a god of the gaps argument, clinging to concepts that are so ambiguous and undefined that he doesn't have to question what he believes in.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
06-08-2014, 03:33 PM
(06-08-2014 03:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(06-08-2014 12:54 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Yes, the basic premises of the religion are so absurd that I often wonder how anyone can swallow any of it. I have two theories: (1) Strong brainwashing; (2) A sort of reverse version of the famous Niels Bohr quote ("Your idea is ... not crazy enough to be true"), i.e., "Christianity is too crazy not to be true." I think G.K. Chesterton would have liked #2, but for most Christians, it's probably #1.

Be mindful of the fact that we're regularly on this forum questioning everything and looking at how religious belief ties in with what we know about science and history. People don't normally do that. They just accept rather than think through the logical consequences of their belief. Religion encourages this by extolling the virtues of faith. As a result it seems more ludicrous to us.

My brother for example is quite an intelligent person but being an engineer is driven by a need for everything to fit perfectly together in order.

He had a road to Damascus experience when he was younger with an evangelical church and became a born again Christian so I was quite surprised to find out that he since has had a crisis of faith. I had just assumed that he has since mellowed out a bit but he now recognises why non-Christians have trouble appreciating why people believe in it.

Thinking it through it struck me just how utterly ludicrous it was that someone like him still believed in all that nonsense. It's like a intelligent grown-up still believing in Santa Claus despite being told the actual physics that it would entail because they believe in magic. I've had conversations with him in the past where I have explained things to him like evolution (which he accepts), but he's still driven by an emotional need to believe in the more nebulous concepts like a soul. He has a blind spot when it comes to thinking through what that actually means. For example how it would violate the laws of thermodynamics, how energy requires matter if it is to have order etc.

So in essence my brother's faith relies on a god of the gaps argument, clinging to concepts that are so ambiguous and undefined that he doesn't have to question what he believes in.

amazing how intelligent educated people can subscribe to such nonsense isn't it? I have two good friends/co-workers who are bat shit crazy fundies....sickens and saddens me because they are smart enough to know better...

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
06-08-2014, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 06:21 PM by hbl.)
(06-08-2014 01:33 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  How many world religions claim to follow your god? How many Christian denominations alone are there (3,500+)?

God isn't the author of confusion indeed...

Satan is behind denominations or demonations. Whereas the Bible says don't say "I of Cephas" or "I of Apollos".

Who is saved? Who are actual Christians and not fake ones. Christendom no doubt is large with over 2 billion, but only a small fraction are considered to be the "little flock" (Luke 12.32).

The little flock are those who agree to these questions esp. those pertaining initial salvation the new birth or new creations of God:

http://biblocality.com/forums/register.p...bf209266b1

Roughly there have been 50 billion souls since Adam and there will be 250 billion in the millennial kingdom. But the New City is only 1379 x 1379 miles which is about the size of India which can comfortably fit 1 billion.

So the savings ratio is 1 in 300 give or take. Most people are going to Hell. At best it is 1 in 50 and at worse 1 in 500. Either way a very small fraction. Those who are actually born-again know this experience intimately as we go about in the world and converse with others.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2014, 06:29 PM
(06-08-2014 06:15 PM)hbl Wrote:  Who is saved? Who are actual Christians and not fake ones. Christendom no doubt is large with over 2 billion, but only a small fraction are considered to be the "little flock" (Luke 12.32).

And of course YOU'RE one of the "true ones". (No True Scotsman Fallacy)

(06-08-2014 06:15 PM)hbl Wrote:  The little flock are those who agree to these questions esp. those pertaining initial salvation the new birth or new creations of God:

Sure they are . The ones that agree with your specific delusions.

(06-08-2014 06:15 PM)hbl Wrote:  Most people are going to Hell.

Isn't that special.
Nice god ya got there. So salvation is a bust, I see.
You do realize I hope the Hebrews in the OT did not believe in hell or immortality or "going to heaven".

Waiting for the proofs I asked for yesterday of your lies.
Still waiting.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-08-2014, 06:43 PM
(06-08-2014 06:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And of course YOU'RE one of the "true ones". (No True Scotsman Fallacy)

Yes of course. Before the foundations of the world God chose me as evident by the fact I agree with all 18 of these questions in agreement with Scripture:

http://biblocality.com/forums/register.php

What else can I tell you? The truth will set you free.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user