Poll: Do you believe in atheism?
No
Yes
Not sure (agnostic)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Why I Don't Believe in Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 1.57 Average
09-08-2014, 05:48 PM
RE: Why I Don't Believe in Atheism
(09-08-2014 05:45 PM)hbl Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 05:43 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  The bible is the claim

The Bible is both the claim and the proof. To overturn the proof you would need to find a naturalistic explanation to account for the eyewitness testimony of the Apostles in various group settings.

So far you have failed.

The "god of the gaps" argument is the believer's appeal to god as an explanation for whatever phenomenon we cannot explain scientifically. For example, if the scientific understanding of the day cannot explain lightning bolts, the believer will say "god did it".Once we can scientifically explain the mechanism behind lightning, the believer will move on to another phenomenon and attribute god as the cause of that phenomenon.
Faith IS the delusion, belief without evidence. Faith is pretending to know things that you dont know. To say "I have faith in god" really means "I pretend to know things I don't know about god"....THINK about it, you dont know, you HOPE. Faith is an epistemology. It's a method and process people use to understand reality. Faith-based claims are knowledge claims. For example, "I have faith that jesus christ will heal my sickness because it says so in Luke" is a knowledge claim. The utterer of this statement is asserting jesus will heal her. Those who make faith claims are professing to know something about the external world. For example, when someone says "jesus walked on water" (matthew 14:22-33), that person is claiming TO KNOW there was an historical figure names jesus and that he, unaided by technology, literally walked across the surface of the water. This is a knowledge claim...an objective statement of fact.

Your religious beliefs typically depend on the community in which you were raised or lived. The spiritual experiences of people in ancient greece, medieval japan or 21st century saudia arabia do not lead to belief in christianity. It seems, therefore, that religious belief very likely tracks not truth but social conditioning.

Faith is a failed epistemology. Showing why faith fails has been done before and done well. (Bering 2011, Harris 2004, Loftus 2010, 2013, McCormick 2012, Schick & Vaughn 2008, Shermer 1997, 2011, Smith 1979, STenger & Barker 2012, Torres 2012, Wade 2009 etc)

If a belief is based on insufficient evidence, than any further conclusion drawn from the belief will at best be of questionable value. This can not point one to the path of truth. Here are five points believers/non believers should be able to agree upon.

1) There are different faith traditions.
2) Different faith traditions make different truth claims.
3) The truth claims of some faith traditions contradict the truth claims of other faith traditions. For example, Muslims believe muhammad (570-632) was the last prophet (Sura 33:40). Mormons believe Joseph Smith (1805-1844), who lived after muhammad was a prophet.
4) It cannot both be the case that muhammad was the last prophet, and someone who lived after him was also a prophet.
5) Therefore: At LEAST one of these claims must be false....perhaps both....

it is impossible to figure out which of these claims is incorrect if the tool one uses is faith. As a tool, as an epistemology, as a method of reasoning, as a process for knowing the world, faith cannot adjudicate between competing claims. The ONLY way to figure out which claims about the world are likely true, and which are likely false, is through reason and evidence. There is no other way.

This is fun, like smacking a pinata around looking for candy to fall out of its ass..

[Image: 2d7elpg.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
09-08-2014, 05:50 PM
(09-08-2014 05:42 PM)hbl Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 05:37 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Demonstrate that something can not come from nothing.

blah blah blah fallacy fallacy fallacy blah blah blah

DEMONSTRATE IT BITCH.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
09-08-2014, 05:51 PM
(09-08-2014 05:48 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The "god of the gaps"

There's no gap. Since the universe can't start up from nothing nor can it always exist, it needs a cause outside of itself, outside of time and space, being uncreated.

There is no gap from the moment God creates to the singularity.

Of course, we are not smart enough to know all the details, but we don't need to be all knowing to know God did it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2014, 05:52 PM
(09-08-2014 05:45 PM)hbl Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 05:43 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  The bible is the claim

The Bible is both the claim and the proof.

No it's fucking not because in the real world a claim is not also it's own proof, go fuck your self you idiot. I don't have to do anything at all.
09-08-2014, 05:52 PM
The opening post is the demonstration. You can choose to shut your mind down to that proof but I wouldn't advise it.
09-08-2014, 05:53 PM
(09-08-2014 05:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 05:28 PM)hbl Wrote:  You can use a simple logical argument such as this.

Since atheism is false then which God is true? Of the 3 major religions, since the god of Islam and Hinduism are false, Christianity must be true.

Oh my dear fuck. Why are we still engaging with some idiot who has less comprehension of logic and reason than an 8 yo?

I'm just killing time till someone at TTA gets off there ass and bans this obvious troll.
(09-08-2014 05:50 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 05:42 PM)hbl Wrote:  blah blah blah fallacy fallacy fallacy blah blah blah

DEMONSTRATE IT BITCH.

CUZ DA BURBLE SAID SO. AND IT'S TRUE CUZ DA BIBLE SAYS SO. THEREFORE THE BIBLE SAYS IT SO IT'S TRUE!

[Image: Circular_reasoning_standard.gif]

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
(09-08-2014 05:42 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 05:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I can speak for Him. He's granted me power of attorney.

You wouldn't recognize The Word if it farted in your face. You are a buffoon libeling The Word and if you don't cease and desist We will pursue further action.

I want to assert the moral rights to not have My eponymous festival, Easter, associated with human sacrifice. Is there a class action suit I can join?

I like it. Let's do this. Jesus v. Christians might cost a few bucks to file but I'm thinking the class action goes viral. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
09-08-2014, 05:54 PM
(09-08-2014 05:52 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  in the real world a claim is not also it's own proof

Sure it is. That's what words are for. The words of the Bible make the claim God exists and that Jesus is God and that salvation is through Him only and precedes to prove that by the eyewitness testimony of the Apostles in various group settings for which there is no naturalistic explanation thus proving it to be true.
09-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Aren't True Believers supposed to have magic powers, or something? We need a practical demonstration, hbl. Heal an amputee. Pick up a mountain and drop it into the sea. Play Twister with a prairie rattlesnake. Do something!