Why I Doubted My Own Vision

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2015, 11:12 AM
RE: Why I Doubted My Own Vision
(12-01-2015 06:27 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Great now I'm scared to look in the mirror Blink

I was, too, for a couple years. But I can with assurance you would have to stare for a really long time. The last few years I've been able to look for a long time (a long time for me). So you're safe, Lost. Smile

I really am surprised that I was still rational in trying to figure out why it happened. It would have been so easy to go all religiously insane with it. In a way, that helped me realize a lot more than I thought I would.

That's why since then, I recommend everyone try to think rationally and objectively. If I hadn't, I'd be one of those weirdos heading up a cult. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
12-01-2015, 11:53 AM
(11-01-2015 10:06 PM)AlephBet Wrote:  
(11-01-2015 09:46 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  ...
I won't go into great detail, since I reserve that for a very few people in my life (so far, only three).
You met the dweller on the theshold. This is a vision of yourself in your current state of mind. The scriptures related to this (Upanishads) note that you must be prepared (righteous) in order to get past the dweller.

Clockwork didn't provide much detail about his vision, but already you think you're an expert about it. Careful, you're revealing just how little critical thought goes into the nonsense you believe in.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
12-01-2015, 12:43 PM
(12-01-2015 11:53 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Careful, you're revealing just how little critical thought goes into the nonsense you believe in.

That was apparent from the first few posts.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-01-2015, 12:51 PM
(12-01-2015 12:43 PM)unfogged Wrote:  That was apparent from the first few posts.

True. Now if could only be apparent to AlephBet...

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
12-01-2015, 03:39 PM
(11-01-2015 09:46 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Long ago, before I realized I was atheist, I was looking into where my beliefs were taking me. I researched ways to find out more about myself, my psyche, and my "soul." I discovered a modified version of tratak, a type of meditation. This one used a mirror. No, I won't explain exactly what the method was; you'll see why not.

Before now, only a handful of people ever about me having a vision. I won't go into great detail, since I reserve that for a very few people in my life (so far, only three). Also, just thinking about it sends shivers up my spine.

I performed this meditation many times, each time getting a little closer and a little deeper. After a long time, I was no longer in the mirror, just the wall behind me. Only my eyes remained. Then the vision started. It wasn't the nice, sweet, enlightening vision you normally hear about. Mine was full of horrible, frightening images. They all looked real. Not in a dreamy ethereal fog, but as if everything was happening right there in front of me. Since that vision, no images of demons or any image in a horror movie or any photograph of a crime scene scare me. However, to this day, I hate mirrors. Not in a normal way; I want to smash almost every mirror I come across.

But here's the thing: Even then, I didn't believe that it was sent from any divine being. I believed, as I do now, that it all came from inside my own brain. It wasn't some sort of collective consciousness or universal energy that I had tapped into. I just merely had some sort of waking realistic "dream." I never once thought some deity or deities had deemed me worthy of their connection.

Nothing to this day has convinced or will convince me that this vision made me special to any supernatural being or force. It was concocted by my own neurons. The only regret I have is that I didn't do this with some sort of brain scan going on.

That's why when I hear of people having prophetic dreams or visions, I still don't believe them. Been there, done that. And who would have thought that an atheist would have a vision, huh?

I've had something similar. Quite a few times. It's called a Wake Induced Lucid Dream (Google it) Once I understood what caused this, I found it quite entertaining.

My first one was when I was about 8. Terrified me to bits. One time I actually had one next to my wife in bed. It was like being paralysed (which is why it is sometimes called night terrors) and it took all my will to reach my hand, excruciatingly slowly, towards my wife to scratch her so she could wake me up. Later we had a good laugh about it.

So, nothing magical (no residual self-bullshit), just brain chemistry stuff.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.