Why I LOVE hell.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2014, 06:17 PM
RE: Why I LOVE hell.
(20-09-2014 05:54 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 05:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Not so fast bub.
The Hebrews did not believe in immortality. Hell is nowhere in you Babble.
Paul said "Put ON immortality". He thought ONLY the saaved were immortal.
Psalm 39 :
"Turn your gaze away from me, that I may smile again,
before I depart, and am no more"
Psalm 115 :
The dead do not praise the Lord,
nor do any that go down into silence".

Sucks to be you.
Facepalm

Hell is a patently Norse concept.

I think it's more of a combo meal. Hades + Sheol + Gehenna (the constantly burning trash dump outside Jerusalem where the Hebs originally did child-sacrifice). But Sheol and Hades were not places of suffering. It would be interesting to know exactly when the concept first appeared. It may ALSO have been Norse.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2014, 06:35 PM
I'll never forget my Nan's face the first time she heard me say "fucking hell"... You could cut the atmosphere with a knife.

So I backed down..."Alright I'm sorry... Fucking heck then."

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
20-09-2014, 06:47 PM
(20-09-2014 06:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 05:54 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Hell is a patently Norse concept.

I think it's more of a combo meal. Hades + Sheol + Gehenna (the constantly burning trash dump outside Jerusalem where the Hebs originally did child-sacrifice). But Sheol and Hades were not places of suffering. It would be interesting to know exactly when the concept first appeared. It may ALSO have been Norse.

Ya seem to be an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the Norse Goddess Hel and her realm aptly describe the origins of the Christian hell.
[+] 1 user Likes Li_Holodomer's post
20-09-2014, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2014 07:00 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-09-2014 06:47 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 06:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think it's more of a combo meal. Hades + Sheol + Gehenna (the constantly burning trash dump outside Jerusalem where the Hebs originally did child-sacrifice). But Sheol and Hades were not places of suffering. It would be interesting to know exactly when the concept first appeared. It may ALSO have been Norse.

Ya seem to be an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the Norse Goddess Hel and her realm aptly describe the origins of the Christian hell.

They may. But someone asserting the connection would have to establish how and when it happened. It's not as though the Norse had any other substantial contribution to the Near East, that we know of. We know pretty much where every element of their myth systems came from, and how they developed. Since there are so many elements of Zoroastrianism present in what the early Christians said about "purification/salvation" (by fire), I always assumed that's where they got it. I actually don't know. I DO know the long complex process by which the Apocalyptic Jews adopted the concept of immortality. It was NOTHING like what it is assumed to be, today.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-09-2014, 08:48 PM
(20-09-2014 06:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 06:47 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Ya seem to be an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the Norse Goddess Hel and her realm aptly describe the origins of the Christian hell.

They may. But someone asserting the connection would have to establish how and when it happened. It's not as though the Norse had any other substantial contribution to the Near East, that we know of. We know pretty much where every element of their myth systems came from, and how they developed. Since there are so many elements of Zoroastrianism present in what the early Christians said about "purification/salvation" (by fire), I always assumed that's where they got it. I actually don't know. I DO know the long complex process by which the Apocalyptic Jews adopted the concept of immortality. It was NOTHING like what it is assumed to be, today.

Yeh. Ahura Mazda, the all consuming fire. Exactly the same term used to describe YHWH.

I'd guess, unfoundedly, that when converting the Nordics they needed a motivator for why they would do it. Or in the translation of Sheol to Norse it got all of the connotations of Hel.
20-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Hell is definitely real.

Quote:[15] And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelations 21:15

Unfortunately this is where most people are headed.

Quote:The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Psalm 14:1
20-09-2014, 11:27 PM
(20-09-2014 11:12 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  Hell is definitely real. Laughat

Quote:[15] And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Unfortunately this is where most people are headed. Laughat

I don't believe you. No
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
20-09-2014, 11:31 PM
(20-09-2014 10:12 AM)hell-lover Wrote:  Hell is the most perfect place God ever created. It is the place where his enemies and all that is unjust can burn forever. I thank God everyday for hell knowing the unrighteous will get their just due.

Good to know, I'll look forward to meeting you down there. Smile

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
20-09-2014, 11:48 PM
[Image: party_in_hell_berea.JPG]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-09-2014, 11:49 PM
(20-09-2014 11:12 PM)hell-lover Wrote:  Hell is definitely real.

Unfortunately this is where most people are headed.

Unfortunately?

You seemed pretty happy about the prospect back in the OP. Have some consistency!
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post