Why I Should've Kept my Mouth Shut

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 07:57 AM
RE: Why I Should've Kept my Mouth Shut
Blush Aw, I just want to say thank you guys, thank you so much for the support and understanding. It's just so relieving to finally know there's a place where I can freely discuss topics like these and even find others I can talk to. I'll take everyone's advice into mind the next time the issue comes up, but until then I guess I'll just try to get along and as I put it keep my Mouth shut at home, since its mostly between me and them (The few relatives I told before they pounced on me were actually ok, with a couple fundamentalist exceptions, even though they all still disagreed). I know I could have it a lot worse, I mean, we've all heard the terrible stories of atheists surrounded by devout Catholics or Muslims, etc. I'm really looking forward to getting involved in the site and its members Smile Just, thank you all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2014, 09:06 AM
I know I am late to the party but let me try to help sister. As an atheist it is good to keep it something that does not matter. You see that is the key. If you can keep it as if your atheism is something more of a well I just take it because there is no evidence rather then I am a strong atheist and want all of you to be atheist too, you will be fine. You seem nice as well so I don't think even when it does come up you will get in trouble for it. Also make sure you know all the arguments they can come up with. If they bring up something from nothing explain that is a strawman, if they say if humans come from monkeys why are their still monkeys say the monkeys that evolved into apes are extinct, the monkeys we share a common ancestor with are alive today however. If someone tries dragging you into it though either give a short answer and say I am done or just ignore it all together and avoid the argument.

Do this and you will be fine. Big Grin

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
10-08-2014, 12:18 PM
(10-08-2014 09:06 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  , if they say if humans come from monkeys why are their still monkeys say the monkeys that evolved into apes are extinct, the monkeys we share a common ancestor with are alive today however. If someone tries dragging you into it though either give a short answer and say I am done or just ignore it all together and avoid the argument.

XD they actually brought up the "how come there's still monkeys?" argument even er I told them evolution has nothing to do with my atheism (I believed in evolution long before becoming atheist), I said that was like saying if America was colonized by the English, why do we still have England? More recently, if the matter comes up between me and any other family member, I just save myself the trouble of debate and point them towards some books. They can go look if they want to (which is hardly ever). And thanks for your advice too. This site seems like a wonderful community of both nice and interesting people from what I've seen so far Big Grin

Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.

-Richard Dawkins
[+] 1 user Likes A Female Free of Faith's post
10-08-2014, 05:08 PM
(10-08-2014 12:18 PM)A Female Free of Faith Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 09:06 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  , if they say if humans come from monkeys why are their still monkeys say the monkeys that evolved into apes are extinct, the monkeys we share a common ancestor with are alive today however. If someone tries dragging you into it though either give a short answer and say I am done or just ignore it all together and avoid the argument.

XD they actually brought up the "how come there's still monkeys?" argument even er I told them evolution has nothing to do with my atheism (I believed in evolution long before becoming atheist), I said that was like saying if America was colonized by the English, why do we still have England? More recently, if the matter comes up between me and any other family member, I just save myself the trouble of debate and point them towards some books. They can go look if they want to (which is hardly ever). And thanks for your advice too. This site seems like a wonderful community of both nice and interesting people from what I've seen so far Big Grin

Also when debating evolution shut them down, when it comes to evolution you don't debate you educate.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 3 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post