Why I am a vegetarian....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2013, 09:20 AM
RE: Why I am a vegetarian....
If one likes the taste of meat but doesn't find it's consumption to be ethical, whether you agree with that stance or not, isn't eating faux meats a fairly rational alternative?

I personally don't find it to taste like meat anyway. I enjoyed using seitan and textured vegetable protein in cooking even before I was vegetarian, not as an alternative but just another food that tasted good.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2013, 09:22 AM
(15-02-2013 09:20 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If one likes the taste of meat but doesn't find it's consumption to be ethical, whether you agree with that stance or not, isn't eating faux meats a fairly rational alternative?

I personally don't find it to taste like meat anyway. I enjoyed using seitan and textured vegetable protein in cooking even before I was vegetarian, not as an alternative but just another food that tasted good.
Thank you.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
15-02-2013, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2013 10:00 AM by Zat.)
(15-02-2013 09:18 AM)smidgen Wrote:  
(15-02-2013 09:14 AM)Zat Wrote:  Why not? Huh
ah, come on. You don't have a serious answer. I wasn't asking to be a smart ass. I'm just curious.
My first answer was short (and serious!) because I thought that the answer should have been obvious to anyone who read the OP.

Read my PS above yours. I edited while you posted.

I will repeat it here:

PS. If you read the OP carefully, you will see that I always enjoyed the taste of meat -- it is the associated cruelty that I did not enjoy.

If you can have the taste, without the cruelty, I am all for it.

And no, I don't go around telling people how to live. I made a personal decision, for personal reasons, and those reasons are good enough for me.

Other people have other personal reasons and they have to be good enough for them. Smile
15-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Quote: Now Peta, they are obnoxious. They go to far and show nothing but the bad.
Someone else is perfectly welcome to show the good side of slaughterhouses, vivisection and cosmetics testing.
Peta's mission is to call attention to the bad, which is what they want to stop.
It's like the donkey and the 2x4 - first, you have to get his attention. Except, of course, Peta wouldn't do it to a donkey - only to wooden-headed people who can't be reached by gentler means.

I know this. I've been so polite as to be totally inaudible. I'm starting to learn rudeness as i grow exasperated.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
15-02-2013, 10:00 AM
(15-02-2013 09:56 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  I've been so polite as to be totally inaudible.
I'm sorry, can you repeat what you just said? But do you mind speaking up a bit this time, I can barely hear you Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
15-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Regardless of what you think about PETA, they have a goldmine of factual information on their website.

If you do want to know the facts of the food industry -- I highly recommend starting your research there.

See link to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) at: http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-...fault.aspx
15-02-2013, 10:02 AM
(15-02-2013 09:56 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  
Quote: Now Peta, they are obnoxious. They go to far and show nothing but the bad.
Someone else is perfectly welcome to show the good side of slaughterhouses, vivisection and cosmetics testing.
Peta's mission is to call attention to the bad, which is what they want to stop.
It's like the donkey and the 2x4 - first, you have to get his attention. Except, of course, Peta wouldn't do it to a donkey - only to wooden-headed people who can't be reached by gentler means.

I know this. I've been so polite as to be totally inaudible. I'm starting to learn rudeness as i grow exasperated.
Unfortunately, frustration can work against you. My first memories of PETA as a kid were a bunch of nutcases yelling and cursing at my mother for wearing a fake fur coat, meanwhile the one doing most of the yelling had on a leather belt. If anything, they delayed me from becoming vegetarian because I knew that doing so would, in the eyes of the average non-vegetarian, put me into the PETA category, which I did not want. Even today, when I say I'm vegetarian, the typical omnivore response usually has something do with with how much they hate PETA. Compassionate though their goals may be, if PETA ever wants to make any changes they need to pull their heads out of their asses when it comes to their tactics.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
15-02-2013, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2013 10:08 AM by Peterkin.)
Quote: I'm sorry, can you repeat what you just said? But do you mind speaking up a bit this time, I can barely hear you

Goddamittohell!!!
Lissen up, yo woodyheads!
This here planet can't take much more of your bullshit!
Don't know cause 'n' effect. You're all going to die!

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
15-02-2013, 10:07 AM
I understand the ethical dilemma that a lot of people face and why they might chose vegetarian or vegan diets as a way of taking a moral stance on the issue. I get that we draw arbitrary lines on what animals we like and won't kill and which ones we consider disposable, and that being cruel to and killing a cow/chicken/pig/etc is really no different than killing a cat/dog/hamster/etc. The only thing that gets me is that hetertrophic life has to take life in order to live. Whether that life is hetertrophic or autotrophic is still an arbitrary line. Where we decide that the life of plants is less valuable than the life of animals.

Don't get me wrong, if we start producing synthetic meat that is feasible (does not cost a fortune to manufacture en masse) and does not taste like shite, I will eat the shit out of it and leave behind the furry buffets to live.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
15-02-2013, 10:08 AM
I think we are in total agreement here, Bearded! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post