Why I am a vegetarian....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2013, 10:52 AM
RE: Why I am a vegetarian....
(16-02-2013 10:44 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(16-02-2013 10:07 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I really love cheeseburgers. Tongue Silly I know but I could never give them up. Not totally.
I bet, if they could synthesize cheeseburgers with same taste, same price, you would prefer that! It's on the way if you can believe the reports!
That I'll believe when I see it.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2013, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 11:00 AM by Zat.)
(16-02-2013 10:50 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(16-02-2013 10:44 AM)Zat Wrote:  That was the final reason I turned vegetarian. I wanted to be consistent in my behaviour.
I never worry about consistancy in behavior. I wouldn't be me if I did Tongue
The reason I want to be consistent (act as I believe) is: if I am not, I feel I am being hypocritical and that thought I can't stand! Sad
16-02-2013, 11:02 AM
(16-02-2013 10:57 AM)Zat Wrote:  
(16-02-2013 10:50 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I never worry about consistancy in behavior. I wouldn't be me if I did Tongue
The reason I want to be consistent (act as I believe) is: if I am not, I feel I am being hypocritical and that thought I can't stand! Sad
Please share with me how I'm being hypocritical?

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
16-02-2013, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 11:50 AM by Zat.)
Hobbitgirl, I did NOT call you hypocritical.

I was talking strictly about myself: Repeat again: "The reason I want to be consistent (act as I believe) is: if I am not, I feel I am being hypocritical".

That is how I feel and that is the reason why I was convinced that: if I can't kill my food myself, then I shouldn't eat meat, because eating commercial meat would make me a participant in the cruelty that I described in the OP.

I just did not see any way around it.
16-02-2013, 11:47 AM
(16-02-2013 11:42 AM)Zat Wrote:  Hobbitgirl, I did NOT call you hypocritical.

I was talking strictly about myself: Repeat again: "The reason I want to be consistent (act as I believe) is: if I am not, I feel I am being hypocritical".

That is how I feel and that is the reason why I was convinced that: if I can't kill my food myself, then I shouldn't eat meat, because eating commercial meat would make me a participant in the cruelty that I described in the OP.

I just did not see any way around it.
I was gonna say....hehe

I dont even kill bugs unless I absolutely have to. lol

16-02-2013, 11:50 AM
(16-02-2013 10:07 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  That being said if I had to kill my own food I would quickly turn vegetarian, as I do not have the heart to kill something myself
Pfff. Dodgy

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
16-02-2013, 12:30 PM
(16-02-2013 11:50 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-02-2013 10:07 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  That being said if I had to kill my own food I would quickly turn vegetarian, as I do not have the heart to kill something myself
Pfff. Dodgy
Don't look at me with that tone of voice young man. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
16-02-2013, 04:18 PM
I eat animals because they taste good and I do not value them as highly as my own species. And, as far as it is concerned, moral justification for vegetarianism is almost strictly a first world option.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
16-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Yeah, but if the first world (Ugh! what a crappy way to divide the planet! And what's the second world, anyway?) doesn't grab all the food produced in the third world and throw people off their land and poison everything, maybe the other people will have options, too. Guess who eats the beef that's grazed on the site of bulldozed South American rain forests - No, not the South Americans! Most of Asia and Africa don't have all that much meat in their diet - nor enough vegetables, either.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
16-02-2013, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 05:28 PM by Zat.)
I guess the hundreds of millions of Hindus, right now and throughout history, were all first-world citizens. Big Grin

Take a look at "Vegetarianism by Country" at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_by_country

(I know the usual response from detractors: "Wikipedia does not prove anything" -- so follow some of the links to references by respectable research institutes and universities)