Why I am a vegetarian....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2013, 05:34 PM
RE: Why I am a vegetarian....
(16-02-2013 04:55 PM)Zat Wrote:  ...
I guess the hundreds of millions of Hindus, right now and throughout history, were all first-world citizens. Big Grin

Take a look at "Vegetarianism by Country" at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_by_country

(I know the usual response from detractors: "Wikipedia does not prove anything" -- so follow some of the links to references by respectable research institutes and universities)
Have you seen an Indian? theyre all nuts and ribs....

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2013, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 05:46 PM by Zat.)
(16-02-2013 05:34 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  Have you seen an Indian? theyre all nuts and ribs....
Obviously, you haven't.

If you followed the link to educate yourself, you would have found that, as a few examples:

In Germany 9% of the population (7,380,000 people) are vegetarian
In France 1.5% of the total population called themselves vegetarians, although more recently this number has reportedly increased to 2%
In England 3% of respondents were found to be "completely vegetarian"

Do you think they are ALL nuts and ribs? Rolleyes

And yes, in India 20%–42% of the Indian population is vegetarian.
In Brazil 8% of the population, that is, 15.2 million people are vegetarians.

But it is true: very few vegetarians are grossly obese -- it is the healthiest diet, recommended by most health-related organizations.
16-02-2013, 05:46 PM
(16-02-2013 05:39 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(16-02-2013 05:34 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  Have you seen an Indian? theyre all nuts and ribs....
Obviously, you haven't.

If you followed the link to educate yourself, you would have found that, as a few examples:

In Germany 9% of the population (7,380,000 people) are vegetarian
In France 1.5% of the total population called themselves vegetarians, although more recently this number has reportedly increased to 2%
In England 3% of respondents were found to be "completely vegetarian"

Do you think they are ALL nuts and ribs? Rolleyes
Nuts... yes!...

we need to bring back DDT and ALAR, thatll show you vegans who is boss...

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
16-02-2013, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 06:02 PM by Zat.)
...you just ended our conversation. I am sure that was your intention. Rolleyes
16-02-2013, 05:49 PM
It was productive talk, I always believe in ending on a good note.

16-02-2013, 06:02 PM
If I may be permitted to quote/adept your signature line:

"Arguing with you is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly. " Big Grin
16-02-2013, 06:30 PM
I cant disagree with it so sure go a head...

16-02-2013, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 06:55 PM by Zat.)
For those of you who are health conscious, here is an article by "The American Society for Nutrition" on the relation between vegetarian diets and obesity, particularly as they relate to childhood obesity.

"The increased prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity is not unique to industrialized societies; dramatic increases are occurring in urbanized areas of developing countries. In light of the consensus that obesity is a significant public health concern and that many weight-loss interventions have been unsuccessful in the long term, an exploration of food patterns that are beneficial in the primary prevention of obesity is warranted."

Its conclusion: "Epidemiologic studies indicate that vegetarian diets are associated with a lower body mass index (BMI) and a lower prevalence of obesity in adults and children. "

See full article at: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/91/5/1525S.full

And a shocking statistical data: "Approximately 34% of the US adult population is obese, and 67% are overweight or obese on the basis of current clinical guidelines"
16-02-2013, 07:36 PM
I am an omnivore, I eat meat. I feel no guilt about it. Does a lion feel guilt when he rips a gazelle apart and eat it? Is that not a bloody and cruel death?

The only difference between us and lions is that we are smart enough to breed our food. We kill them much cleaner than the lion as well. But if someone wishes to be vegetarian, thats cool.

Just don't try to take my bacon away, then we will have a problem.
16-02-2013, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2013 07:43 PM by amyb.)
Quote: Just to confuse the issue more for me I absolutely hate hunting. Well I should clarify that....I hate hunting for sport. Hunting for nessecity I have no problem with. Killing something "cause its super fun" to me says a lot about a persons character.
I think this is a separate issue than factory farming. Here in PA there's a lot of deer hunting, and if they didn't control the population that way they would either (1) slowly, painfully starve to death because the population exceeds the carrying capacity of the land, or (2) wander out on roads, killing themselves and cars full of humans. The phenomenon of hunting is not just "for fun." I think it's a trade-off for living in modern society with cities and so on, there is simply not as much room for wild animals when everything is paved and full of Walmarts. I have venison steaks in my freezer right now (which my uncle gave me, I've never picked up a gun in my life).

As for obesity, food is not the only thing that has changed in recent times. What about being sedentary? If you don't burn off your calories, you gain weight, no matter what you eat. It's true that plant foods are harder to digest and you may get less calories from them if you're just shitting them out, but that doesn't change the fact that there are other variables involved in obesity. Not to mention economic factors, a bag of chee-tos costs less than a little package of tofu.

That being said, I like a lot of vegetarian food. I just like meat, too.

What I don't like about PETA-types are they make everything so black and white, and assume moral superiority. But as the OP said, people have a nasty habit of proselytizing, and this is certainly not unique to vegetarians/vegans. I have friends who raise chickens for food. I see no problem with it. And I also think them raising chickens is not the same thing as factory farming chickens.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user