Why I am neither a Theist nor an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
21-03-2011, 12:44 AM
RE: Why I am neither a Theist nor an Atheist
Am I missing a joke here?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2011, 01:12 AM

Well, at least the giant swamp rats can still get him.

---

He's violating the axiom of noncontradiction: something cannot be A and B if A is the contradiction of B; i.e., a theist is the opposite of a deist, you cannot claim to be both a theist and an atheist, doing so is like claiming to be both hot and cold.
Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2011, 05:53 AM
The R.O.U.S.'s? Naw. They're a myth.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
21-03-2011, 07:13 AM
(21-03-2011 12:44 AM)daemonowner Wrote:  Am I missing a joke here?

Evidently.

It's not that funny, though, so you're not missing much.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
21-03-2011, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2011 10:49 AM by Unbeliever.)
(21-03-2011 12:44 AM)daemonowner Wrote:  Am I missing a joke here?

The Princess Bride. In my opinion, one of the best movies ever made. You can find its IMDb page here. It gets quoted a lot.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
21-03-2011, 08:41 AM
The joke is just about the movie, "The Princess Bride". Great movie.

As for the joke not being that funny, it's a matter of opinion.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
21-03-2011, 10:43 AM
The movie is hilarious. Agree with unbeliever that its one of the best movies ever made. The joke ... I'm over it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:Suppose that a cat is placed in a sealed room, in which is standing a flask of prussic acid. Suspended above the flask by a string is a hammer. The string will be automatically released if a geiger counter in the next room registers any radioactivity. Next to the Geiger counter is a mildly radioactive substance which has precisely one chance in two of emitting detectible radiation in one hour. (We know from quantum mechanics that the chance of a quantum of radiation being emitted can be described by a possibility wave function). What is the situation at the end of the hour, just before a scientist comes to look?

--- so --- suppose you area the cat ---
The argument would be much the same for the habitual Theist: I don't believe in God until he's looking. I think the really hardcore, fundamentalist would hope God(the scientist, ironically) would swoop down and save them(cat) from the entire mess of death by acid, hammer, or radioactivity.

I guess it depends who you perceive yourself to be... scientist or cat... God or helpless human.

It's difficult for many to just decide to be a neutral observer or "not take sides", I suppose.
Just a thought.
Blush

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I know it's an old and tired thread but I was just thinking of this today before I found this forum, and here it was this thread just waiting for me. It's a miracle!

Ahem...

It never ceases to amaze me the mental acrobats some people would do to reconcile in their minds that they’re not atheists and that deep down they don’t believe in gods the same way they don’t believe in Santa Clause.

I’ve even had people who, after begrudgingly admitting that deep down they don’t believe in a god, would say “… but that doesn’t make me an atheist!”

Some would go into the ridiculous to avoid admitting there are things they don’t believe in. “Hey, it *could* be that Santa Clause is real and it only seems like the parents put the toys under the trees, when in reality it’s Santa Clause who puts the toys there. Then he brainwashes all non Santa Clause believers into thinking that parents are responsible. Hey, it *could* happen, right?”

These mental gymnastics put to shame the rationalizations Christians provide for the atrocities in the Bible.
09-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Hey, Tae<mashes keyboard> Cool

Just Joshin ya. Who is Josh anyway and why does he always mess with people? Honest to Peter. Wait....

First post! Welcome aboard. I'm kinda the neighbourhood crotchety old man that throws tapioca from my cat-infested porch at the young kids roaming past with their iPhones and their sideways hats, so don't ever feel too bad if I get grumpy Smile

I agree. I'm sure that there are people who simply don't believe in God but who are unwilling to accept their belief. I see no reason why that can't exist. For myself I'd say, I am not one of those people. I can’t ever imagine myself saying, “I don’t believe in God.”

At the most basic level, there are some popular self-identified Atheists who are just dicks. A lot of people simply don't want to be identified with them. But that just speaks to motivation.

I also think that there's a lot of mental gymnastics when it comes to the use of the word Atheist. But hey, that's another thread Smile..... Who am I kidding, I can't resist! I think one of the reasons that there is so much controversy about the meaning of the word Atheist is because Theism is an umbrella term that applies to many different religions. People don't call themselves Theists. They call themselves whatever religion they are. But Atheism is an umbrella term that doesn't really apply to anything. There aren't really any sub-categories, aside from maybe anti-Theist and not only are the subsets poorly defined, if at all, but many people resist even the attempt to understand what those subsets are. So Atheists call themselves Atheists. It's not a very neat application of the language because the terminology emphasises what is not, but the desire is to define what is. Personally, I think there's probably way more than two terms. If we really look, we might realise that say, science, is its own umbrella. I don't know, I haven't investigated, but do you know what I mean?

I've always said, if Atheist just means, not-Theist, then fine, I'm an Atheist. But if it implies any positive statements whatsoever, like, "I don't believe in God," then I most certainly am not.

Anyhoo, the controversy rages!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt