Why I am neither a Theist nor an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-09-2011, 12:35 PM
RE: Why I am neither a Theist nor an Atheist
Stark,

Alright, let's clarify things. What statement am I somehow misquoting, misrepresenting, or taking out of context?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2011, 01:00 PM
No no Tae, you misunderstand me. My comments are on your way of communicating not on your ideas. I'm not here to pick at each and every little detail. I am saying that you are acting like a dick. Creating little "diaglogues" as an example, is condescending and rude, while at the same time immature. I didn't say you misquoted, misrepresented, or took anything out of context.

If you actually mean where did you misquote Ghost, then that's just being more of a dick. See, you acting this way is justified by claiming your statements are perfect. You construct them in an insulting, rude way. THAT'S how you are being a dick.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
13-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I was referring to your comment about me nit picking quotes, grabbing onto not-so-perfectly formulated statements, etc. Overlooking the way it was presented, do you agree with the summary and conclusion or do you think I somehow misrepresented what was said?
16-09-2011, 10:06 AM
And when all else fails, just ignore anyone who calls out your BS...
16-09-2011, 10:37 AM
You are asking me to overlook "the way it was presented". Well, the way it was presented is exactly what I am talking about. I am not getting into this debate, I am simply pointing out that you are "presenting" your point of view like an asshole.

So yes, I ignored your post. It was an illustration of your attitude. An attitude that basically says, "I don't agree with you, so I'm gonna be a dick about it." I can't really be bothered with people that have that kind of attitude, but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I pointed out your poor attitude, you chose to ignore what I was saying and read into my post whatever it was you read into. Now I know that you are not willing to revisit your approach, or in the very least, look at it and consider that perhaps being less of an ass would make for more productive conversation. So be it. I said my piece. If you have a counter argument as to why you take the approach you do, feel free to say so, and I'll happily respond. Otherwise, I suggest you move on. I have.

P.S. Do you feel it would be a "fair representation" for me to refer to your last post as a "tantrum"?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
16-09-2011, 10:56 AM
I summarize Ghost's position in a paragraph, basically saying he didn't treat both claims equally and he says he didn't do such a thing. I then summarize the conversation, paraphrasing for brevity's sake, and he calls me a liar. I then copy/paste what he said (so there's no way he can deny what his own statements), and then he goes silent.

Then you come and tell me I'm just nit picking not so perfectly formulated arguments (in the midst of all your insults). So I say alright, let's put your insults aside and I asked you very politely to clarify which statements I'm somehow misrepresenting, and then you go silent.

So when all else fails, just ignore anyone who calls out your BS...
17-09-2011, 06:58 AM
I'll be keeping out of the Stark-Tae thing... I'm curious about the Atheist - Deist - Theist thing that Efrx86 brought up.

Apparently Einstein could be seen as both deist and atheist. Same with Stephen Hawking. I'm thinking that Atheists can be Deist at the same time since you don't believe in a personal god like theists do.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
18-09-2011, 10:17 AM
DT,

Don't worry, the Stark-Tae thing is just a red herring Wink

Deism is a subset of Theism. It just means you don't believe in a personal god who listens and/or answers to your prayers, but you still believe in some kind of god. Deists do believe in a god (or gods) who set the universe in motion and may tinker with it every now and then. It is far less centered around mankind though.

When I say "some kind of god" I mean something with attributes similar to what most people would peg to a god. There are some people who try to escape the theist/atheist labels by redefining god. Some would say "the god I believe in is energy". My response is: I guess I believe in your god then, by your definition I'm a theist.

Atheism is like non-bigfootism, it's completely without content. It's just how you answer when a someone says "There really is a god/bigfoot, do you believe me?" Yes = theist/bigfootist, No = Atheist/nonbigfootist. There are some which will avoid answering the question ("I don't/can't know either way") because admitting they don't really believe there's a god would make them a dirty atheist. A deist would answer "Yes, I do believe in some kind of god".

As for Einstein, I believe he falls more under deist because he talks about a --insert euphemism for god-- that set the universe in motion but is not concerned about the day to day of humankind. That said, when he talks about god he does so in a poetic sense so there's some wiggle room for interpretation. Since he never claimed absolute certainty, it would make him an agnostic-deist.
18-09-2011, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2011 02:10 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
Then you are agnostic., which, like atheism, is non-religious.
Close enough.

Agnostics believe .................. God/gods simultaneously exist and do not exist.
That is a poor definition as it lacks meaning without an explanation of the experiment.

And I personally dont see the conflict in the definitions?
Atheists - non-religious, and does not accept the existence of god.
Agnostic - non-religious, and do not judge whether a god exists or not.
Theists - religious.