Why I don’t believe in anything.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2015, 09:21 AM
RE: Why I don’t believe in anything.
Fucking n00bs. Start a new thred. This ain't a seance.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2015, 09:26 AM
(25-01-2015 09:21 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking n00bs. Start a new thred. This ain't a seance.

Fucking necrophobe. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2015, 10:37 AM
I like it when ancient threads pop up. Usually reminds me of some people who are not here anymore and topics of yore.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-01-2015, 10:38 AM
(25-01-2015 07:48 AM)cactus Wrote:  I don't use the phrase "I don't believe in anything," because a theist would be quick to latch onto their own interpretation of that phrase and use it as an excuse to go off on a frivolous tangent about objective morality.

Whenever I'm debating someone, I mainly stick to the point that there are so many different dieties, and to just pick the one you like, or the one you're most familiar with, means you're probably living in an information bubble. (although it's better to stick with first person; that way you're not making any false assumptions about that person.)

Also, instead of saying "I don't believe," I'd rather just keep repeating "I'm not convinced." That way they don't try to switch the burden of proof onto me.

That's a good approach in debates.

Discussing deities, nobody would like to discuss the existence of good old gods like Zeus or Venus. Why not? I think, because they are so obviously created by the human phantasy.
So, more important is, to discuss the Christian god (be it the catholic or the Lutheran version). Here the ´stable ground´ is bible and new testament.
Reading those books carefully, you will sooner or later understand the position of Thomas Paine: if this god exists, he must be a daemon!
Now, if you try to argue on this level with a priest, usually you are lost, because he knows 100 quotes from the bible showing that loving, peaceful good.
Forgetting to say, that the Jewish tribes needed that warrior god, beating all their enemies - like young Muslim radicals prefer the cruel version of Allah.
So, a fruitful discussion is difficult, but should and has to be done with your more open minded neighbors or friends.

And again I come back to Thomas Paine, maybe a deist, but a hater of religious based ignorance, and a great patriot in its best sense: he helped to keep away the religious from ruling politics, and that was a hard job at his time. We should act as his heirs - globally. I am saying this as an old German chap - admiring the American constitution, which finally helped to free Germany.
But this would be the beginning of a different thread..

Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true.
Thomas Paine
25-01-2015, 11:17 AM
(25-01-2015 07:48 AM)cactus Wrote:  Whenever I'm debating someone, I mainly stick to the point that there are so many different dieties, and to just pick the one you like, or the one you're most familiar with, means you're probably living in an information bubble. (although it's better to stick with first person; that way you're not making any false assumptions about that person.) Also, instead of saying "I don't believe," I'd rather just keep repeating "I'm not convinced." That way they don't try to switch the burden of proof onto me.

Great advice. I just jotted this down in my debate notes. Thanks buddy.

I'm not a Christian ... like many other Christians.