Why I don't bother talking atheism with older folks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Why I don't bother talking atheism with older folks
http://theunconverted.com/reasons-why-i-...der-folks/

Props to Seth for providing some inspiration with one of his one-liners from this week's podcast on how embarrassed a long-time, old-time believer would or could be when confronted with the prospect of telling folks that the "good news" he's been pushing for so long is really just a bunch of bullshit.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like lightninlives's post
30-05-2012, 11:25 PM
RE: Why I don't bother talking atheism with older folks
I don't think there's a real need for converting the 'older generation'.

Not long before my father died he turned to spirituality and that was just fine by me cos it made him happy to think that way (he was never really religious - well, he never spoke of it anyway).

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
31-05-2012, 12:12 AM
(30-05-2012 11:25 PM)aurora Wrote:  I don't think there's a real need for converting the 'older generation'.

Not long before my father died he turned to spirituality and that was just fine by me cos it made him happy to think that way (he was never really religious - well, he never spoke of it anyway).
I would never try and convert old folk to atheism and spoil their dreamm of Heaven.

Even bad old folk...............would tell them they just might make it. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
31-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I feel the same way. My mom is a devout Christian and I wouldn't want to ever shatter the sweet illusion that is her belief in Jesus and the eternal afterlife in Heaven.

Thought at the same time, it bothers me to no end that she might be thinking and worrying about my brother and I going to hell due to our lack of belief in her messiah.

Scumbag religious doctrine...

I am the unconverted
31-05-2012, 09:08 AM
This is based on ageism. That ain't cool.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
31-05-2012, 02:31 PM
(31-05-2012 09:08 AM)Ghost Wrote:  This is based on ageism. That ain't cool.

Matt
No it isn't. And actually, it's super cool (e.g. not making older folks feel shitty unnecessarily just to prove a point or express yourself).

I am the unconverted
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
31-05-2012, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2012 05:23 PM by cufflink.)
What are your reactions to this?

[Image: designall.jpg]

If you're like me, you find the t-shirt pretty obnoxious. (It comes in handy, though, if you're trying to keep people from sitting next to you on a train or bus.)

Thing is, if you substitute "atheism" for "Jesus," it's no less obnoxious.

Advice on personal matters--and there's nothing more personal than religion--is best appreciated when it's honestly requested, without coaxing from the advice-giver. In the same way that I wouldn't go up to someone and offer unsolicited comments on their wardrobe, I wouldn't tell someone, at my own instigation, that their religious beliefs were worthless--unless they asked for my opinion or unless their beliefs were directly impacting my life in a negative way. If, however, the subject came up, and if someone said to me, "What do you think?" I wouldn't hesitate to be honest with them, regardless of their age. I'd do my best not to be hurtful, but I wouldn't hold back, even when talking to old people. I think we do a disservice to the older population (and I count myself among them) when we think of them as so much more fragile and less able to cope with reality than "regular" folks. We old farts are a lot more resilient than people give us credit for.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
31-05-2012, 04:19 PM
(31-05-2012 03:23 PM)cufflink Wrote:  What are your reactions to this?

[Image: designall.jpg]

If you're like me, you find the t-shirt pretty obnoxious. (It comes in handy, though, if you're trying to keep people from sitting next to you on a train or bus.)

Thing is, if you substitute "atheism" for "Jesus," it's no less obnoxious.

Advice on personal matters--and there's nothing more personal than religion--is best appreciated when it's asked for. In the same way that I wouldn't go up to someone and offer unsolicited comments on their wardrobe, I wouldn't tell someone, at my own instigation, that their religious beliefs were worthless--unless they asked for my opinion or unless their beliefs were directly impacting my life in a negative way. If, however, the subject came up, and if someone said to me, "What do you think?" I wouldn't hesitate to be honest with them, regardless of their age. I'd do my best not to be hurtful, but I wouldn't hold back, even when talking to old people. I think we do a disservice to the older population (and I count myself among them) when we think of them as so much more fragile and less able to cope with reality than "regular" folks. We old farts are a lot more resilient than people give us credit for.
hahaha! Really well put.

I agree that it's ok to discuss when you're asked and/or attacked (and I have done so on occasion with my parents and in-laws).

As I mentioned in the blog post, the only reason I treat older folks differently is because of the amount of time they've been believing and/or proselytizing. I obviously haven't run any empirical data, but my hypothesis is that the older the devout believer, the less likely that they will ever:
a) stop believing in god
b) outwardly admit it

I am the unconverted
31-05-2012, 04:34 PM
My old man is 78 years old and a practicing Catholic all his life.
One day out of the blue he asks me, "Where do all these people go when they die?"
I relied, "The cemetery unless they're cremated".
He then paused for a moment and said, "Is that it?"
His facial expression was one of concern and disapointment in the fact that I believe he has been going through the motions for years. My mom is extremely active in the church and it would crush her for the old man to come clean. We all have our secrets.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
31-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Hey, Light.

You open the blog post by saying you don't approach older people about this subject because you PRESUPPOSE that they have a certain capacity, or lack thereof. That's ageist.

You finish by specifically suggesting that one should not bother with old people, but instead focus on young people because they are not like old people. That's ageist.

It's the equivalent of saying, "Don't talk to women about subject X because they're more fragile than us and prone to getting the vapours." That would be sexist. Your blog post is ageist.

Like Cufflink says, old farts are more resilient (it's all good, I can say old farts because Cufflink's my nigga. See how that works Cool )

Matt