Why I hate the word "non-theist"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: Why I hate the word "non-theist"
(22-09-2014 11:03 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I once coined the word "theity" on here and it got a good laugh. But I stand by it: Deism is the belief in a god who created everything but doesn't give a rat's ass about it or its inhabitants. So theism should be the belief in a theity who created everything and gives a rat's ass about everyone inside the creation.

Here's a link where I first coined it: http://aisforatheist.blogspot.com/2014/0...-term.html
The funny part about that is I went looking for the word "theity" yesterday when I Googled on this topic. What I found is deity is the word for a theistic god too. That's one reason I think Adrianime may be right about this.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2014, 01:23 PM
RE: Why I hate the word "non-theist"
Hah, well while I'd like to personally think that I'm right, it all just comes down to what definition is the accepted one. Definitions change over time and often a word has multiple. So there may not be a definitively right or wrong answer.

To me I think of theism similar to the word "creature". It doesn't tell you much about the specifics, it's just a broad term that defines what type of thing you are talking about. Whereas some people look at theism as similar to "mammal" (i.e. a specific type of creature).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply