Why I hate the word "non-theist"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: Why I hate the word "non-theist"
(22-09-2014 11:03 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I once coined the word "theity" on here and it got a good laugh. But I stand by it: Deism is the belief in a god who created everything but doesn't give a rat's ass about it or its inhabitants. So theism should be the belief in a theity who created everything and gives a rat's ass about everyone inside the creation.

Here's a link where I first coined it: http://aisforatheist.blogspot.com/2014/0...-term.html
The funny part about that is I went looking for the word "theity" yesterday when I Googled on this topic. What I found is deity is the word for a theistic god too. That's one reason I think Adrianime may be right about this.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2014, 01:23 PM
RE: Why I hate the word "non-theist"
Hah, well while I'd like to personally think that I'm right, it all just comes down to what definition is the accepted one. Definitions change over time and often a word has multiple. So there may not be a definitively right or wrong answer.

To me I think of theism similar to the word "creature". It doesn't tell you much about the specifics, it's just a broad term that defines what type of thing you are talking about. Whereas some people look at theism as similar to "mammal" (i.e. a specific type of creature).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply