Why I left the L.A. International Church of Christ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Why I left the L.A. International Church of Christ
Hello everyone,

My name is Meerkat. At least that's my gamer name, anyways. It's a nickname I picked up during my Coast Guard days as a result of my actual last name. Most people couldn't pronounce Markert, and so my Meerkat days were born.

Anyways, I've been in the Los Angeles area for about 6 years now. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, but moved away and traveled for about 6 years. I decided to come back to the city of angels when my duty was complete, and I haven't looked back since.

About 5 years ago, I was introduced to a church by a fellow coworker at my previous place of employment. He had been inviting me to his church for a couple of months. After a while, I finally caved and decided to go. My very first attendance to this church was at their talent show (I know, it sounds corny). It was there that I saw hundreds of people crowded in an auditorium, watching all these talented people perform their acts. And you know what? It wasn't half bad. Sure, it had a very deep religious undertone (overtone?), but the performers had some pretty good talent. They even had an improv group and I found myself bursting at the seems with laughter by the end of the show. When I asked my coworker what was the name of this church, he told me: Los Angeles International Church of Christ.

After the talent show, I was ready to attend an actual church service. Surely there must have been something going on here. Why would so many people who are fun, outgoing, loving, respectful, and just overall nice act like this? Have you ever heard about how Mormons are so nice, they're almost overly nice? It sort of felt like this, and surprisingly, I couldn't detect any sense of insincerity from anyone. They were all nice, but not in the annoying kind of way.

Well, after attending a Sunday service, I went to a Wednesday night singles ministry service. That was when I got hooked. A very nice gentleman came up to me and asked me about the bible. He wanted to know what I knew it had to say. He asked if I would be interested in sitting down with him to study it one hour a day, few days a week. So we did just that. And over the course of 2 months, I came to learn what it meant to be a "disciple". I was baptized in the Pacific Ocean and spent the next 1.5 years committing myself to the bible and to Jesus.

Now, I should mention that while I was in this phase of my life, everything was great. It was a sort of honeymoon phase, if you know what I mean. God was good, the bible was good, Jesus was good... everything was all good, man! However, at the time, I had NO idea the sort of control this church had on me. It was the kind of control that you don't realize people have over you. And that control, in my opinion, is the scariest kind of all.

When I was a disciple, I spent every Sunday and Wednesday attending church. Come hell or high water, you would be hard pressed to see me miss one of those two days. It wasn't because I forced to go, but it was because I wanted to go. I wanted to spend every minute with god and with the body of the church.

During this time, I read the bible every day. If I wasn't reading it, I was listening to my audio Bible. If I wasn't listening to my audio bible, I was talking about it. If I wasn't talking about it, I was thinking about it. If I wasn't thinking about it... and so it goes on and on. I gained a very good understanding of what the bible actually had to say. When you read it over and over again, and sit down to contemplate it's message and meaning, you become well versed in such a thing.

Most weekends I would spend with the church. I started abandoning my other friends and family to spend time with my brothers and sisters in Christ. I went on encouragement dates (oh yeah, dating in the church is not like the normal dating you might think of), we went to group events, we had picnics, we played Volleyball, we went to coffee houses, you name it. There wasn't anything we wouldn't do or anywhere we wouldn't go if it meant we could glorify god. I gained a very strong sense of confidence during this time of my life because of the peers I associated with. All of us made each other feel happy, confident, encouraged, etc. There is a lot of power in this, by the way. It comes as no surprise to me why certain groups become as powerful (and dangerous, for that matter) as they do.

ENTER: Act 2, the turn.

But then there were the discussions of disagreement. As I continued to learn what the bible had to say, I learned that I actually disagreed with a lot of it. I thought to myself, the bible actually says this? God commanded who to do what? Well, there must have been some reason. Surely god has a very good reason for this. It's obvious I'm not interpreting it correctly. And of course, my brothers in Christ, reassured me that these were simply ideas placed in my mind by the devil. The evil one is out to corrupt the world and we must not give in to thought temptations.

Thus, my many, many conversations began. It was the little thread that I tugged on at the edge of the sweater. It wouldn't take long for the entire thing to unravel. As it did, I learned many things about the church that started to give me the creeps.

To be continued...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like The Atheist Meerkat's post
24-06-2016, 01:12 PM
RE: Why I left the L.A. International Church of Christ
Welcome to TTA.

Great intro. Cheers.

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Welcome. Looking forward to the next part.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
25-06-2016, 04:57 AM
Hello! Big Grin
25-06-2016, 05:30 AM
Welcome, looking forward to part 2.Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
25-06-2016, 05:53 AM
Welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Welcome. Yeah. It's called brainwashing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.