Why I'm a Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1.5 Average
24-07-2015, 02:20 PM
RE: Why I'm a Theist
(24-07-2015 02:00 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(24-07-2015 12:25 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  When normal people reject a claim (atheists excluded) its because they think the claim is untrue. I don't know of anyone who rejects claims they think are true just to be obstinate or argumentative. Do you think the claim of theism is true?

Not true.

You seem to be addressing 2 horns of a dilemma simultaneously. Which is not prudent.

There are 2 truth claims with regards to the existence of a god or gods.

1. at least one god exists.

2. no gods exist.

While it is true that only one of these can be true (it is a true dilemma), it is possible to reject the first truth claim, without accepting the second, counter claim.

As in a court case. The prosecution's job is to prove guilt. But the defense's job is NOT to prove innocence, only that the prosecution has not met their burden of proof.

And it is the jury's job, to vote either 'guilty' or 'not guilty'. There is no vote of 'innocent'. Members of the jury may actually believe that the defendant is guilty, but vote not guilty because the persecution has not presented a strong enough case to meet their burden of proof.

A small quibble. There can be, in a sense, a finding equivalent to 'innocent': when the case against the accused is dismissed with prejudice.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
24-07-2015, 02:21 PM
(24-07-2015 01:35 PM)unfogged Wrote:  The more I see it, the more I become convinced that abductive reasoning is the worst possible way to reach a conclusion.

We can't avoid it outside of formal systems. We use reasoning to the best explanation all the time. It's the only available reasoning in courtrooms for example. But concluding God is the best explanation for P1-5 is not abductive reasoning but merely wishful thinkng.

(24-07-2015 02:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  I reject claims that are not supported by evidence. That doesn't mean that I think it is untrue (I may or may not), simply that absent evidence the truth claim is not acceptable.

Untenable and indefensible even.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
24-07-2015, 02:29 PM
(24-07-2015 01:21 PM)photon9 Wrote:  Drewpaul - the "D" is silent :-D

[Image: meme00b933b708c14e78.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
24-07-2015, 02:31 PM
(24-07-2015 02:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-07-2015 02:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  I reject claims that are not supported by evidence. That doesn't mean that I think it is untrue (I may or may not), simply that absent evidence the truth claim is not acceptable.

Untenable and indefensible even.

Yeah, them there things, too. Yes

24-07-2015, 02:36 PM
(23-07-2015 03:36 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Greetings all,

I'm a secular theist.

Is this savedwheat in another guise?
24-07-2015, 02:57 PM
(24-07-2015 02:36 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(23-07-2015 03:36 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Greetings all,

I'm a secular theist.

Is this savedwheat in another guise?

While I can't discount anything. Savedwheat lived in another country.

It's all been said before tho...hasn't it?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-07-2015, 03:31 PM
(23-07-2015 07:53 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  
Quote:You're a dumb fuck.

If you don't care, then why the hell are you here?

Fuck off you moron. Or troll. Or generic theist Drinking Beverage

I love it when an atheist responds this way...it's like when playing chess and my opponent tosses the board in the air and storms out of the room.

That's because you replaced your pieces with space marines and are insisting that his queen just landed in your hotel.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 3 users Like TarzanSmith's post
24-07-2015, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2015 03:55 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-07-2015 07:53 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  
Quote:You're a dumb fuck.

If you don't care, then why the hell are you here?

Fuck off you moron. Or troll. Or generic theist Drinking Beverage

I love it when an atheist responds this way...it's like when playing chess and my opponent tosses the board in the air and storms out of the room.

Is this another example of you ignoring posts with no substance? 'Cause you pretty much fucking suck at it.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-07-2015, 03:53 PM
(24-07-2015 02:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-07-2015 01:21 PM)photon9 Wrote:  Drewpaul - the "D" is silent :-D

[Image: meme00b933b708c14e78.jpg]

The first thing I thought of when I read the name.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-07-2015, 04:51 PM
(23-07-2015 06:10 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(23-07-2015 06:08 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I continued reading through his "debate" on atheistforums.com until I got to this gem:

They pointed out to him that he was listing numerous false causalities (in the midst of a massacre of question-begging) stating that things were evidence because he said they were evidence, with nothing else to go with that, and when someone AGAIN explain that he had presented no actual evidence, he said:

He clearly does not understand, or is unwilling to learn, or is willing to pretend he does not know, the laws of logic. He deliberately misconstrues what constitutes evidence in a debate, rather than asserting questions-begged. So, sorry guys, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to throw the flag on this one:

Two Penalties on the play!

[Image: argument_beggingquestion_zpsgsnh2log.jpg]
[Image: argument_causality_zpsjojtts5z.jpg]

Fifteen yard penalty. Repeat First Down.

Ahhhh come on ref!!!!!! That's a shit call and you know it!!!!!!

Yup, the red was calling horseshit.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc