Why I'm a Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1.5 Average
26-07-2015, 07:01 PM
RE: Why I'm a Theist
(26-07-2015 06:54 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  ...... present as fact .....

Oh dear.. have I missed your posting of your facts?

Terribly sorry. Might you link back or post it/them again please?

(26-07-2015 06:54 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Both sides have the same evidence available.

Ohmy

Really?

Dang... I didn't realize. Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2015, 08:15 PM
(26-07-2015 01:27 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Lets go one step further. Suppose in the future with technology that makes today's super computers seem like a Nintendo machine, sentient beings could create a virtual universe in which virtual sentient beings (in the fullness of time) came into existence. I wonder how long it would take them before they started asking the same questions we do. How did our existence come about? Why is there something rather than nothing? Do we owe our existence to mindless forces and happenstance or is our existence the result of planning and engineering by beings transcendent to us? Undoubtedly in such a universe those questions would be debated by theists and atheists. I wonder who would be right?
http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
26-07-2015, 08:16 PM
(26-07-2015 06:54 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Since that is the definition of theism, atheism is simply not or without such a God just as asexual means reproduction sans sex. Atheists however have redefined atheism to mean a lack of belief in the existence of God not a denial of God's existence which kind of makes the debate about the existence of God a moot point since they don't deny God exists.

No they haven't AND your distinction lacks a difference. It appears you are copy-pasting shit, and you have no clue what it actually means.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-07-2015, 08:18 PM
This one doesn't appear to be worth going back through and reading. I got a heavy stench of arrogance and lies in one page.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
26-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Can the topic of this thread be altered to say "Why I'm gullible and not only lie to others, but also lie to myself ?"

Granted, it's not as catchy, but it is more accurate.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
26-07-2015, 08:43 PM
(26-07-2015 08:39 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Can the topic of this thread be altered to say "Why I'm gullible and not only lie to others, but also lie to myself ?"

Have these threads ever been anything else? The predictability of these conversations is mind numbing.
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
26-07-2015, 08:43 PM
(26-07-2015 08:39 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Can the topic of this thread be altered to say "Why I'm gullible and not only lie to others, but also lie to myself ?"

How about this title? "Can someone help me pull my head out of my ass?" Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
26-07-2015, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2015 08:55 PM by Dom.)
(26-07-2015 06:54 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Since that is the definition of theism, atheism is simply not or without such a God just as asexual means reproduction sans sex. Atheists however have redefined atheism to mean a lack of belief in the existence of God not a denial of God's existence which kind of makes the debate about the existence of God a moot point since they don't deny God exists.

You do know that a factor in the hostility displayed against you here is that you are not speaking to us, only about us. Right?

"Atheists have...." "they don't deny..." You willy nilly present atheists with descriptions of who they are. The truth is that we are a mixed bag of characters, all ages, genders, cultures, races, locations and whatnot. We don't think alike at all. There is only one small thing we agree on - that we have a lack of belief in the existence of any gods. I suggest you read this thread to begin to understand what atheists have in common and what they don't. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sion-story

That said - I see your point there. Having a lack of belief in the existence of any gods does not actually preclude the existence of any gods.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
26-07-2015, 10:19 PM
At which scale of formation events are gods required ?
Oxygen & hydrogen into water
Changing state of water into water vapor
A thunderstorm with rain
A hurricane or a super typhoon.
Mountains, continents
Planetary formations from dust and gravity
Star formations, nuclear reactions that give off electromagnetic radiation
Formation of solar systems
Formation of an entire galaxy of stars and solar systems
Galactic clusters
Super clusters
Billions of galaxies that make up a very small percentage of our known universe
Dark matter
Dark energy
All forces of nature

At what stage does your level of understanding fail to grasp what we have observed ?

At what stage of nature do you feel the need to say "This couldn't have happened by itself" ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
26-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Honestly I was gonna climb into this thread and do my thing but then I actually read a few posts by the OP .....when nearly every single sentence he writes is wrong it's just too much hassle to do that with pops and this guy.

Honestly how does one person get so much wrong in one go.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.