Why I'm a Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1.5 Average
27-07-2015, 05:02 AM
RE: Why I'm a Theist
(26-07-2015 05:14 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  
(26-07-2015 05:05 PM)pablo Wrote:  I thought you were arguing for the existence of god. Now I'm confused, which seems to be my natural state. Blink

Nope. I'm arguing that there is some (weak) evidence for the existence of God, but that that evidence is outweighed by other evidence to the contrary. Saying that there is no evidence for God's existence is pretty typical coming from atheists, so I can kinda see where the confusion could come from (in my defense, I'm not the only one who thinks like this; Jeffrey Lowder would be a big-name atheist who thinks the same way).

You keep claiming that, yet you never produce any evidence. Consider

Your unsupported claim is summarily dismissed. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-07-2015, 06:27 AM
(26-07-2015 08:39 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Can the topic of this thread be altered to say "Why I'm gullible and not only lie to others, but also lie to myself ?"

I thought that was the implied meaning of the current title, particularly the "lying to myself" part.
Consider

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
27-07-2015, 06:27 AM
(27-07-2015 05:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-07-2015 05:14 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  Nope. I'm arguing that there is some (weak) evidence for the existence of God, but that that evidence is outweighed by other evidence to the contrary. Saying that there is no evidence for God's existence is pretty typical coming from atheists, so I can kinda see where the confusion could come from (in my defense, I'm not the only one who thinks like this; Jeffrey Lowder would be a big-name atheist who thinks the same way).

You keep claiming that, yet you never produce any evidence. Consider

But but but!!! Jeffrey Lowder Sadcryface

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-07-2015, 06:35 AM
(26-07-2015 11:15 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Honestly I was gonna climb into this thread and do my thing but then I actually read a few posts by the OP .....when nearly every single sentence he writes is wrong it's just too much hassle to do that with pops and this guy.

Honestly how does one person get so much wrong in one go.

At least this one doesn't just spew Chopra-style woo. He's been indoctrinated into believing common atheist stereotypes but I think if he can put that aside and approach the question more honestly he could end up seeing that it makes no sense to accept even the nebulous deistic answer that he is pushing.

27-07-2015, 06:41 AM
(27-07-2015 06:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 05:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  You keep claiming that, yet you never produce any evidence. Consider

But but but!!! Jeffrey Lowder Sadcryface

Can't argue with that! Mostly because I have no idea who Jeffrey Lowder is.

27-07-2015, 07:03 AM
(27-07-2015 06:41 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 06:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  But but but!!! Jeffrey Lowder Sadcryface

Can't argue with that! Mostly because I have no idea who Jeffrey Lowder is.

He's Lowder than you.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
27-07-2015, 07:59 AM
(27-07-2015 06:35 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(26-07-2015 11:15 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Honestly I was gonna climb into this thread and do my thing but then I actually read a few posts by the OP .....when nearly every single sentence he writes is wrong it's just too much hassle to do that with pops and this guy.

Honestly how does one person get so much wrong in one go.

At least this one doesn't just spew Chopra-style woo. He's been indoctrinated into believing common atheist stereotypes but I think if he can put that aside and approach the question more honestly he could end up seeing that it makes no sense to accept even the nebulous deistic answer that he is pushing.

I'd say his demonstrated behavior on the other forum is enough evidence that's he's neither capable nor interested in doing so.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
27-07-2015, 11:18 AM
(26-07-2015 06:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I really would like to know the reason for coming onto an atheist forum to declare your theism.

What is the reason? What do you hope to accomplish? Why not pick an audience you share beliefs with?

I understand your frustration, a lot of atheists would prefer I just go away...

I come here to have a lively debate with folks I know are willing to debate this issue. Lively debate is what makes for a lively discussion board.
27-07-2015, 11:37 AM
(27-07-2015 11:18 AM)drewpaul Wrote:  
(26-07-2015 06:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I really would like to know the reason for coming onto an atheist forum to declare your theism.

What is the reason? What do you hope to accomplish? Why not pick an audience you share beliefs with?

I understand your frustration, a lot of atheists would prefer I just go away...

I come here to have a lively debate with folks I know are willing to debate this issue. Lively debate is what makes for a lively discussion board.

If that was the case you would probably have a much higher negative rating. I don't think a lot would prefer you go away. unless you're just feeling a bit confrontational or underdog labeling yourself already.

There is merely some value to questioning why some come because not everyone does come for some lively debate. Sometimes it's more preaching goals.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-07-2015, 11:42 AM
(26-07-2015 08:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-07-2015 06:54 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Since that is the definition of theism, atheism is simply not or without such a God just as asexual means reproduction sans sex. Atheists however have redefined atheism to mean a lack of belief in the existence of God not a denial of God's existence which kind of makes the debate about the existence of God a moot point since they don't deny God exists.

You do know that a factor in the hostility displayed against you here is that you are not speaking to us, only about us. Right?

"Atheists have...." "they don't deny..." You willy nilly present atheists with descriptions of who they are. The truth is that we are a mixed bag of characters, all ages, genders, cultures, races, locations and whatnot. We don't think alike at all. There is only one small thing we agree on - that we have a lack of belief in the existence of any gods. I suggest you read this thread to begin to understand what atheists have in common and what they don't. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sion-story

That said - I see your point there. Having a lack of belief in the existence of any gods does not actually preclude the existence of any gods.

In my long experience atheists are always hostile when there beliefs are challenged...

I have taken a great deal of time responding to specific posts.