Why I'm a Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
28-07-2015, 01:06 PM
RE: Why I'm a Theist
Unfogged,

Quote:Do we agree we are looking at these 4 options?
a. universe does exist, creator god exists (but is not obviously apparent to all)
b. universe does exist, came about from unknown natural cause

In my opinion, B is the atheist position, the one they don't care to defend or acknowledge.

A simple lack of belief is absurdly easy to maintain. There are people who lack belief in things most people accept as fact, for instance that man landed on the moon. No matter what evidence is submitted, they will maintain its all created by a hoax, demand you prove its not a hoax and then say you haven't presented any evidence. Its even easier with an opinion which by definition means there is no conclusive evidence available.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2015, 01:11 PM
(28-07-2015 01:06 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Unfogged,

Quote:Do we agree we are looking at these 4 options?
a. universe does exist, creator god exists (but is not obviously apparent to all)
b. universe does exist, came about from unknown natural cause

In my opinion, B is the atheist position, the one they don't care to defend or acknowledge.

A simple lack of belief is absurdly easy to maintain. There are people who lack belief in things most people accept as fact, for instance that man landed on the moon. No matter what evidence is submitted, they will maintain its all created by a hoax, demand you prove its not a hoax and then say you haven't presented any evidence. Its even easier with an opinion which by definition means there is no conclusive evidence available.

A person can believe or disbelief fine to their own discretion. The problem is often people don't simply disbelieve those types of stances but proclaim knowledge of a special degree based on secretive or covered-up types of knowledge.

There isn't a fear or shame for the concept of admitting a firm unknown at the moment.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Bucky,

Quote:I really wish theist idiots would stop with the "naturalism" already. Whatever there is, is "natural". That would include your stupid set of gods, *if* they happened to exist. Their existence would be perfectly ''natural". It's a fake dichotomy. Are they "unnatural" ?

I wish atheists would quit using the term supernatural as if it means anything.
28-07-2015, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2015 01:39 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(28-07-2015 12:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 12:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
It has already been shown to you in these fora, multiple times.

Well, I'm not sure what Rahn's views here are, since the question was directed at him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he agrees with you.

And since you replied, I'm curious to hear your response to the other question as well:

"Is your reality, one in which physics fixes all the facts? A reality aligned to Materialistic Monism? In which "everything which exists is no more extensive than its physical properties, and that the only existing substance is physical."?

Is this the reality you believe in?"

First of all "materialist monism" is a hostile term you people use to insult atheists, as you think you're morally superior. You theists are always so hostile and angry. Facepalm Tongue

No one here claims "physics fixes all the facts". You can be damn sure Jebus fixes NO facts. In "Finding Darwins God" Dr. Martin, (a theist professor at Brown) attempts (rather lamely) to find room in Heisenburg's Uncertainty for a deity to act. There is no evidence for that, but nothing is "fixed". Reality operates within a range of probabilities. You can stick your childish insulting labels up your ass, angry, hostile, "Christian" (sic) Tomasia. Laugh out load

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-07-2015, 01:24 PM
supernatural |ˌso͞opərˈnaCH(ə)rəl|
adjective
(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature: a supernatural being.
• unnaturally or extraordinarily great: a woman of supernatural beauty.
noun (the supernatural)
manifestations or events considered to be of supernatural origin, such as ghosts.
DERIVATIVES
supernaturalism noun,
supernaturalist noun,
supernaturally adverb [ as submodifier ] : the monster was supernaturally strong

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
28-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Hello Dom,

Quote:You still don't get it. You are studying atheists, and you try to cram them into a box you can label nicely. You are going to find that you will need many boxes, because some of us may have some things in common, but mostly we are different. Did you read the conversion thread? You will find out a lot if you do. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sion-story

Theism isn't a religious belief, its a philosophical opinion. No conversion to or from is necessary, it would just be a change of opinion. At one time I had a 'lack of belief' also.
28-07-2015, 01:40 PM
(28-07-2015 01:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  First of all "materialist monism" is a hostile term you people use to insult atheists,

I'm not sure why you think that. Folks like Daniel Dennet, Alex Rosenberg are defenders of physicalism. In fact, about 56% of philosophers subscribe to physicalism.
28-07-2015, 01:42 PM
(28-07-2015 01:31 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Hello Dom,

Quote:You still don't get it. You are studying atheists, and you try to cram them into a box you can label nicely. You are going to find that you will need many boxes, because some of us may have some things in common, but mostly we are different. Did you read the conversion thread? You will find out a lot if you do. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sion-story

Theism isn't a religious belief, its a philosophical opinion. No conversion to or from is necessary, it would just be a change of opinion. At one time I had a 'lack of belief' also.

For you maybe. Virtually all religious people disagree with that nonsense. You can't redefine terms for yourself, and expect to engage in rational discussions unless you use words in the same way everyone else does. Philosophers don't go around proclaiming their "opinions". Idiot.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-07-2015, 01:54 PM
(28-07-2015 01:40 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 01:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  First of all "materialist monism" is a hostile term you people use to insult atheists,

I'm not sure why you think that. Folks like Daniel Dennet, Alex Rosenberg are defenders of physicalism. In fact, about 56% of philosophers subscribe to physicalism.

Wait.. what, that's about what makes the mind the mind. I thought you two were talking about more just world naturalism/physical nature of the world being all that it is. Which I think is more like the Science claim of 75% being of a scientific realism claim.

The claims of everything that exists is a physical thing is no more extensive than physical properties isn't really the same as the philosophical question of what makes the mind the mind.. That's why they spent the time to ask so many people on individual issues what their individual issue stance is.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-07-2015, 02:09 PM
(28-07-2015 01:40 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

They are different words, and we all get the pejorative implications when "you people" start using the terms "materialism", and "naturalism".

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post