Why I'm a Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
29-07-2015, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2015 06:21 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Why I'm a Theist
(29-07-2015 04:29 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Hello Free,

But have you considered the 3rd option that nothing was ever created? We can discuss this in detail if you like.

Quote:But have you considered the 3rd option that nothing was ever created? We can discuss this in detail if you like.

I have....please do.

Its what I believe is true minus conclusive proof that would make it a fact.

Quote:Perhaps you should re-state this. How could it be a fact without conclusive proof? It would appear to me that you are making a statement of faith here, and not a statement of fact.

Its what I believe is true minus conclusive proof that would make it a fact. Its an opinion based on facts.

Quote:If the only opinion that matters are those who are undecided- and you are on a forum that has 99% atheists and you are posting in the section specifically designed for atheists- then don't you think you are speaking to the wrong people?

The point is I don't want to go into this debate as if the merit of my arguments rests with the very folks who are my opponents in this debate. Atheists unless they have an epiphany and decide to become theists will invariably will say my case failed and I presented no evidence.

Check out my next few posts after the first one I lay out the facts and my argumentation from them.

Nope. If you or anyone ever presented any compelling "evidence" it would be looked at seriously. The fact is many (most) theists don't buy into your nonsense either, so your point is actually completely false. It's YOU that have redefined what theism is here (as stemming from evidence) and not based on faith. It's YOU that are out, dangling on the limb here, on your giant god of the gaps branch. No one else. You've claim (for yourself) that your opinion is theism is a philosophical attitude. Find one philosopher that agrees with that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2015, 04:52 PM
I think that the conversation should end on some simple observations.

Snakes can't talk

Donkeys can't talk

Shrubs can't talk

Virgins can't have babies

Dead people can't come back to like three days after they have died.

Why is the conversation going any further?
29-07-2015, 04:55 PM
(29-07-2015 04:52 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I think that the conversation should end on some simple observations.

Snakes can't talk

Donkeys can't talk

Shrubs can't talk

OP's not a Christian, let alone a Biblical literalist, so none of that matters.

I'm just thinking out loud.
29-07-2015, 05:04 PM
(29-07-2015 04:55 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 04:52 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I think that the conversation should end on some simple observations.

Snakes can't talk

Donkeys can't talk

Shrubs can't talk

OP's not a Christian, let alone a Biblical literalist, so none of that matters.

As you can tell... I paid as much attention as the OP deserves.

Just a different brand of the same bullshit.
29-07-2015, 05:05 PM
(28-07-2015 01:31 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  Hello Dom,

Quote:You still don't get it. You are studying atheists, and you try to cram them into a box you can label nicely. You are going to find that you will need many boxes, because some of us may have some things in common, but mostly we are different. Did you read the conversion thread? You will find out a lot if you do. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sion-story

Theism isn't a religious belief, its a philosophical opinion. No conversion to or from is necessary, it would just be a change of opinion. At one time I had a 'lack of belief' also.

Why do you prefer theism over deism? The latter is fairly benign while the former is rather ridiculous.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-07-2015, 05:08 PM
(29-07-2015 05:04 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 04:55 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  OP's not a Christian, let alone a Biblical literalist, so none of that matters.

As you can tell... I paid as much attention as the OP deserves.

Yeah. Fuck actually listening to people and accurately representing their views when you critique them.

[+] 1 user Likes KnowtheSilence's post
29-07-2015, 05:09 PM
(29-07-2015 05:08 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 05:04 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  As you can tell... I paid as much attention as the OP deserves.

Yeah. Fuck actually listening to people and accurately representing their views when you critique them.

You kind of zone out after 30 years of it and it all kind of just becomes one haze of undistinguishable bullshit.
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
29-07-2015, 05:12 PM
(29-07-2015 05:09 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 05:08 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  Yeah. Fuck actually listening to people and accurately representing their views when you critique them.

You kind of zone out after 30 years of it and it all kind of just becomes one haze of undistinguishable bullshit.

Sounds like it may be time for a break, then.

29-07-2015, 05:12 PM
(29-07-2015 05:12 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 05:09 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  You kind of zone out after 30 years of it and it all kind of just becomes one haze of undistinguishable bullshit.

Sounds like it may be time for a break, then.

Yeah your probably right.
29-07-2015, 05:29 PM
(29-07-2015 04:11 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  At one time I had a 'lack of belief' also.

Quote:That's interesting. At what age and for how long and what were you doing then?

In my 20's, working dating partying mostly...

Sounds like a lack of devotion, a lack of attaching importance.

Doesn't mean that the belief wasn't there. And now I am going to talk about you the way you talk about us:

Theists often confuse a lack of devotion, a lack of attaching importance with a lack of beliefs. This is usually a phase - if the belief has been indoctrinated properly, the theist will eventually dig the belief system back out and attach increased importance to it. Perhaps change the look and feel of their belief after they dust it off. Feel guilty and rush to defend their belief to anyone who will listen.

The fact that you don't seem to have any idea of what atheism is about proves that you were never an atheist. Just a bad Christian. Now you try to make up for it.

Just don't try to kid yourself into thinking that, since you "were once an atheist", you understand atheists. You never lost your belief, you just put it in the far drawer until you felt the need to pull it back out. Big difference. And you know nothing at all about atheism, you prove that every time you say - atheists think this, and atheists think that.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post