Why I'm a Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
09-08-2015, 09:53 PM
RE: Why I'm a Theist
(09-08-2015 08:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have offered an argument based on your interpretations of facts.

Actually he hasn't done even that. All he did was list some observations, claimed they were evidence based on very shaky analogies with ''virtual" whatevers, without an underlying cohesive theory for why they should be accounted as "evidence". He claimed his observations were "facts", and that facts, without any further explanation, constitute "evidence".

Then instead of answering questions to clarify his (supposed) positions, he started whining about "that's just what all atheists do".

Weak.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-08-2015, 10:01 PM
(09-08-2015 09:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 08:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have offered an argument based on your interpretations of facts.

Actually he hasn't done even that. All he did was list some observations, claimed they were evidence based on very shaky analogies with ''virtual" whatevers, without an underlying cohesive theory for why they should be accounted as "evidence". He claimed his observations were "facts", and that facts, without any further explanation, constitute "evidence".

Then instead of answering questions to clarify his (supposed) positions, he started whining about "that's just what all atheists do".

Weak.

I didn't say it was a good argument. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2015, 10:03 PM
(09-08-2015 08:17 PM)Free Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 08:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, what anthropocentric bullshit. I'm quite sure other self-aware creatures find existence meaningful

Do you know that for a certainty? Or are you guessing based upon your human experience? Can you speak for other self-aware creatures?

We both know what your answers to these questions will be, and judging by your assumption regarding other self-aware creatures, it isn't me demonstrating the anthropocentric bullshit.

You are calling out meaning for only humans. Anthopocentric bullshit.

10-08-2015, 06:26 AM
(09-08-2015 01:49 PM)Free Wrote:  .....

If X and Y are two competing possibilities, and the only two possibilities.

If X has 0 evidence in support of it

And Y has 0 evidence in support of it

Which is more likely?

According to Free if X has 0 evidence in support, (even though Y does as well), X is eliminated, and Y is to be accepted as a default position. I'm wondering if the problem is apparent to you at this point?
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
10-08-2015, 06:51 AM
(10-08-2015 06:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 01:49 PM)Free Wrote:  .....

If X and Y are two competing possibilities, and the only two possibilities.

Which is more likely?

According to Free if X has 0 evidence in support, (even though Y does as well), X is eliminated, and Y is to be accepted as a default position. I'm wondering if the problem is apparent to you at this point?

There is no "problem".
Concerning the proposition in this thread, one of the two positions is a positive hypothesis with a claim, and various (false) assertions about both the claim and the (supposed) evidence supporting it.
The other position claims nothing. It dismisses the concept that the facts presented provide any support for the proposition.
The other is neutral

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-08-2015, 07:02 AM
(10-08-2015 06:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 06:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If X and Y are two competing possibilities, and the only two possibilities.

Which is more likely?

There is no "problem".
Concerning the proposition in this thread, one of the two positions is a positive hypothesis with a claim, and various (false) assertions about both the claim and the (supposed) evidence supporting it.
The other position claims nothing. It dismisses the concept that the facts presented provide any support for the proposition.
The other is neutral

A claim that something was unintentional, was an accident, etc... is a positive claim. That's not claiming "nothing". If I claim that I shot my wife unintentionally, I am not claiming nothing.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
10-08-2015, 07:18 AM
(09-08-2015 10:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 08:17 PM)Free Wrote:  Do you know that for a certainty? Or are you guessing based upon your human experience? Can you speak for other self-aware creatures?

We both know what your answers to these questions will be, and judging by your assumption regarding other self-aware creatures, it isn't me demonstrating the anthropocentric bullshit.

You are calling out meaning for only humans. Anthopocentric bullshit.

And you appear to be assuming how other self-aware creatures may have the ability to view things from a perspective similar to the human experience. You have no evidence for this presumption. In effect, you are assuming a humanization of other self-aware creatures.

And that is human arrogance, and that is anthopocentric bullshit.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
10-08-2015, 07:35 AM
(10-08-2015 07:02 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 06:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is no "problem".
The other is neutral

A claim that something was unintentional, was an accident, etc... is a positive claim. That's not claiming "nothing". If I claim that I shot my wife unintentionally, I am not claiming nothing.

And no one is making that claim. The claim is that there is no evidence of intentionality.

10-08-2015, 07:37 AM
(10-08-2015 07:18 AM)Free Wrote:  
(09-08-2015 10:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are calling out meaning for only humans. Anthopocentric bullshit.

And you appear to be assuming how other self-aware creatures may have the ability to view things from a perspective similar to the human experience. You have no evidence for this presumption. In effect, you are assuming a humanization of other self-aware creatures.

And that is human arrogance, and that is anthopocentric bullshit.

No, I am leaving the possibility open; it is you who is making a claim that is it only humans.

Arrogant, narrow, anthropocentric bullshit. Drinking Beverage

10-08-2015, 07:42 AM
(09-08-2015 02:11 PM)Free Wrote:  Of course they lack belief. They lack belief until they obtain it.

How do you know they lack belief? Do other animals have beliefs? Does possessing a belief require language?

Do infants have any beliefs at all?