Why I'm here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Why I'm here
Ok, so this is the first time I have ever participated in any form of online forums, so please bear with me. I have always had a difficult time accepting that there is a higher being, seriously, I am supposed to believe that there is a magic man in the sky that picks and chooses humans to "test their goodness" for his enjoyment? I wish I could believe, simply for the solace others can find in believing that there is a God, therefore an afterlife, be it heaven or hell, at least it is something to provide hope. I do not believe there is anything after death, but it never really hit me until a few months ago. I am having a tremendously difficult time managing my sanity with a constant chorus of "you will no longer exist" playing in my head. My father died in September, and he insisted on making sure I understood that even when he's gone, life goes on. And it does, but how do you handle it? I would really appreciate any stories or advice- I am struggling to be happy and focus on what a good life I have, and how lucky I am to be alive, I just feel numb....

So that's why I am here, I hope to make some friends that can understand and not tell me I'm bored or I need a purpose. I'm not bored, I have 4 kids and 3 grandkids, plus I foster dogs. I have a purpose, and there is much love and happiness in our home. I will not talk to my children about this, I do not want to expose them to the cold fear of the darkness, and the dogs don't answer back Big Grin

Thank you!
Kiat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like Kiatlyn0611's post
29-05-2016, 11:54 AM
RE: Why I'm here
Welcome.

I am sorry for the loss of your father.

Lots of good people here with lots of advice, experiences to share, and great humor.

It sounds like you have plenty of purpose. Oh, and lots of animal lovers here too. You should fit in just fine. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-05-2016, 12:16 PM
(29-05-2016 11:46 AM)Kiatlyn0611 Wrote:  I am having a tremendously difficult time managing my sanity with a constant chorus of "you will no longer exist" playing in my head. My father died in September, and he insisted on making sure I understood that even when he's gone, life goes on. And it does, but how do you handle it?

Take tremendous solace in the fact that your father no longer has to worry about it. He is at peace, that is what sets my mind at ease.

This life is filled with worry, and that's okay. Worry about today, worry about tomorrow, but give no fucks about after it's done and you're gone. Because you ain't gonna be able to then, so why let it ruin what you have now?

Welcome to the forum. We're all insane, but we have a good time. Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
29-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Hi Kiat. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your loss. We typically just say "Hi" here. There's a separate section for Support with strict rules on playing nice.

Quote:I am having a tremendously difficult time managing my sanity with a constant chorus of "you will no longer exist" playing in my head.

The important parts of you will live on as the memories, values and deeds of your family and the other lives that you have touched, just as your father lives on in you.

Quote:So that's why I am here, I hope to make some friends that can understand and not tell me I'm bored or I need a purpose.

That shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like you have plenty to occupy your mind so that isn't the issue as it sometimes is.

Quote:and the dogs don't answer back Big Grin

Don't undervalue that capacity. Good listeners know when not to talk.

Sit down with your dogs and have a good long discussion. They'll enjoy the attention and you can use them to examine your own thoughts and feelings the same way that believers use scripture or Hindus use a mandala. You won't be expecting a reply from them but you might get some decent insights from yourself.

Best of luck and once again welcome to our crazy little corner of the web.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-05-2016, 12:20 PM
[Image: 13-10-24-being-nice1.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Firstly, welcome to the forum
Second, that was a great introduction and you are very articulate. You can find support here in the proper forum as noted above. I am sorry for the loss of your father.
29-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Hello dog rescuer.

[Image: ThePack.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the guidance and the warm welcome!!

Kiat
[+] 2 users Like Kiatlyn0611's post
29-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Welcome to our community Kiat.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

29-05-2016, 01:17 PM