Why I'm here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2016, 01:45 PM
RE: Why I'm here
Glad to meet you Kiat, and I am very sorry about your father. I lost my mother a few years ago. There are some nice, supportive people here.
I love dogs too- and have two rescue kitties. Smile

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Welcome to our playground. Usually someone who stars with "Why I am here." follows it with "To save you savages for my Farter who is in heaven" or some such.
Yes, we all suffer loss. After my sister died I often although an atheist, tols people that she is in Heaven now, just because I knew that is what they'd prefer to hear, but then m brother the sodden alcoholic died and I knew i couldn't answer the question of "How's your brother doing with "Oh, he's in Hell now.' So also stopped the saying about my sister.
My opinion formed over 50 years ago before being a full grown adult is that the idea of Heaven was invented because people felt as you do. And some phony shaman invented the story of "Your father is in a better place, now," but it never enters into the mind of those being told that to ask why the shaman doesn't join them if he believes they are in a better place now.
29-05-2016, 02:26 PM
My sympathies on your loss, Kiat.

Welcome to the forum. I've no doubt you'll find plenty of support and outreach.
29-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
29-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Welcome.

☆☆☆
29-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Hi and Welcome.

I am sorry for your loss.
I think most people here have gone through that time where it hits you hard that there is just this one life.
The realisation can be pretty harsh but it just adds so much more value to your life now Smile
Who was the person that made this analogy? (Help me out anybody?) It went somewhat like this.
Were you scared before you were born? Were you even aware that you weren't born yet? It will be the same after you die.

Anyway again,
Welcome in our midst (oh the poetry)

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
30-05-2016, 07:19 AM
(29-05-2016 04:41 PM)Leela Wrote:  I think most people here have gone through that time where it hits you hard that there is just this one life.
The realisation can be pretty harsh but it just adds so much more value to your life now Smile
Who was the person that made this analogy? (Help me out anybody?) It went somewhat like this.
Were you scared before you were born? Were you even aware that you weren't born yet? It will be the same after you die.

That's the attitude to take, and which you'll ultimately accept. It's alarming at first to realize there's nothing "after," and that death is death, but as Mark Twain said "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
[+] 1 user Likes GeddyRulz's post
31-05-2016, 07:36 AM
Welcome to the forum Kiat.

When it comes to death, I also get comfort from Mark Twain and the fact I wont even know I'm dead. It wont be an eternety of darkness and nothing other than me and my sadness about being dead. I won't be there at all.
And it's incredibly relieving to know that nobody will be suffering eternal torture!

I hope to have a child someday. Just as you have children.
The idea that my genes, and those of my incredible boyfriend, will continue on after me in the future, in my family, excites me!
I know that the genes that make me have been shaped through millions of years, since the dawn of life, in a straight line of amazing living, procreating, organisms. And the idea of that line continuing on after me is really cool!
01-06-2016, 06:56 PM
(29-05-2016 11:46 AM)Kiatlyn0611 Wrote:  Ok, so this is the first time I have ever participated in any form of online forums, so please bear with me. I have always had a difficult time accepting that there is a higher being, seriously, I am supposed to believe that there is a magic man in the sky that picks and chooses humans to "test their goodness" for his enjoyment? I wish I could believe, simply for the solace others can find in believing that there is a God, therefore an afterlife, be it heaven or hell, at least it is something to provide hope. I do not believe there is anything after death, but it never really hit me until a few months ago. I am having a tremendously difficult time managing my sanity with a constant chorus of "you will no longer exist" playing in my head. My father died in September, and he insisted on making sure I understood that even when he's gone, life goes on. And it does, but how do you handle it? I would really appreciate any stories or advice- I am struggling to be happy and focus on what a good life I have, and how lucky I am to be alive, I just feel numb....

So that's why I am here, I hope to make some friends that can understand and not tell me I'm bored or I need a purpose. I'm not bored, I have 4 kids and 3 grandkids, plus I foster dogs. I have a purpose, and there is much love and happiness in our home. I will not talk to my children about this, I do not want to expose them to the cold fear of the darkness, and the dogs don't answer back Big Grin

Thank you!
Kiat

Welcome, let me know if you have any questions, enjoy your stay

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
01-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Where else you gonna go?

#sigh