Why I think it is hopeless?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2011, 08:44 PM

RE: Why I think it is hopeless?
I should have been more precise when I said: hopeless.

Hope for what?

Many people think this is the best possible world. They only hope for it to stay so.

There are many who hope for more technology, Star Trek kind of world.

Some of us hope for less of it, more integration with nature, with plant/animal life, with what we call "Gaia".

I just watched Avatar again and was enthralled with the scenes of the Forest with its incredible variety of life. I am almost homesick for that Planet. I spent most of my life with gadgets, technology, computers and science labs.

My life now is as close to nature as I can make it and love every minute of it (as I am writing this, Alice, our new cat, is delicately balancing on my knees, trying to peek at the keyboard, wondering about what I am doing).

I am not naive, I KNOW that nature is not painless and is often harsh, but it is what I call balanced, healthy, self-correcting -- clean.

So, when I am talking about hope, I am talking about hope for finding our peace withn Gaia.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening, I only see more of the same human attitude of wanting to conquer and subdue.

That is why I said it is hopeless.

What are YOU hoping for?
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
26-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Yay!

Yeah, I spun right down the rabbit hole from original assumption. I don't think the Captain is looking for a moral lecture from the swabbie. So! Whatever it is, I agree. Big Grin

What do I hope for?

That Gwyneth Paltrow doesn't hear about me.
That Lubos ignores the link I sent him.

That covers it. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2011, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2011 01:13 AM by GirlyMan.)
(26-11-2011 08:44 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Many people think this is the best possible world. They only hope for it to stay so.

Leibniz and others would argue it's impossible to experience anything but the best possible world.

(26-11-2011 08:44 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  What are YOU hoping for?

To be capable of and at ease with not feeling the need to hope.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
26-11-2011, 11:07 PM
I agree with almost everything Zatamon has said.

The world is owned and controlled by the largest corporations including the media and IMO it always will be as greed, power and corruption can never be eliminated. Almost everyone has a price. You just have to look at history to know that it is all about control of the masses. The strong, corrupt and powerful control the weak. They would be extremely hard to stop.
I hate seeing children of the world suffering, it totally breaks my heart.

I would love to see a rising of the people against the corrupt and fascist governments of the world. I would certainly be one of them but where do you start? How could you make this happen?
27-11-2011, 11:11 AM
(26-11-2011 11:07 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  I agree with almost everything Zatamon has said.

The world is owned and controlled by the largest corporations including the media and IMO it always will be as greed, power and corruption can never be eliminated. Almost everyone has a price. You just have to look at history to know that it is all about control of the masses. The strong, corrupt and powerful control the weak. They would be extremely hard to stop.
I hate seeing children of the world suffering, it totally breaks my heart.

I would love to see a rising of the people against the corrupt and fascist governments of the world. I would certainly be one of them but where do you start? How could you make this happen?

It's going on right now; it will continue and increase, as more peoples find the weight of the privileged few too burdensome and their enforcers too brutal to bear any longer. It will be difficult and messy and it will have many, many casualties.

How it will turn out is the real question.
Periodically, peoples revolt and throw off their rulers, and replace those rulers with new ones, for better, worse or no frickin difference. For a while after the change of leadership, the greediest - diminished in numbers by guillotine and flight, stripped of political power, wealth and armed protection - usually keep out of the way for a while, submit to limits and regulations. A generation later, maybe two or three, depending on how good the safeguards were, they come creeping back, buying up legislators and cornering markets, sabotaging whatever progressive measures had been put in effect.... Cycle after cycle.

What's different now - what will either save or destroy us - is technology. Not just the immense power of technology to effect change, but the utter dependency of Homo industrialis on technology and of technology on energy. How, where and what kind of energy are available - and far more, how, when and what kind become unavailable - will determine the rise and fall of regimes.

Anything can happen. Probably not for the best.
I sort of assume, through no very sound reasoning, that you are young. What happens will depend partly on you. Be wise, and maybe it can still turn out okay.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
27-11-2011, 07:47 PM
quote:
Anything can happen. Probably not for the best.
I sort of assume, through no very sound reasoning, that you are young. What happens will depend partly on you. Be wise, and maybe it can still turn out okay.

I wish that were true Peterkin (do I sound stupid? lol) but I am almost 50 and unfortunately feel very helpless in this situation. One female in pursuit of justice, from the land arse-under (I mean down-under), just won't cut it.

I appreciate your feed back tho! Smile
02-12-2011, 10:21 PM
(27-11-2011 11:11 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  What's different now - what will either save or destroy us - is technology.

And more specifically, this.

Global communication between individuals of all flavors, tastes, colors, and identities, is the inchoate networking of an emergent mind of Gaia.

Gaia cannot be bought, Gaia cannot be corrupted, the greed of Gaia is life and love; knowing that we are one species on one planet is knowing there is only one direction - forward - one race - human - one future - ours, all.

It has been the four corners of the world that has kept us locked into tribal identies. Imagine a Manhattan socialite, blindly supporting the war on drugs because the Central Park crackhead is a species in sore need of extinction; where one 'random' day she follows a facebook link from her Village hipster girlfriend to a bit of youtube done by a young Colombian girl, whose life has been shattered by a different kind of drug war...

That is why information must be free. And why my government is so hot to net teh nets. Right now it is trying to float some more anti-piracy legislation based on clear moral prejudice rather than unbiased ethical standard using McGruff the Crime Dog and the bullshit link of pirated DVDs to drugs and crime. (gee, that's what i do, go spend my money on crap copy; rather than send my utorrent out to "appropriate" the appropriate evening's entertainment.) The maneuvering is that obvious.

What I am trying to illustrate is there is a new dynamic duo in town - evolution and emergence - convergent with a window of opportunity a decade across. I got miles to go before I need even break out the hope, never mind thinking in terms of hopelessness. Wink

04-12-2011, 06:50 PM
(02-12-2011 10:21 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Global communication between individuals of all flavors, tastes, colors, and identities, is the inchoate networking of an emergent mind of Gaia.

Gaia cannot be bought, Gaia cannot be corrupted, the greed of Gaia is life and love; knowing that we are one species on one planet is knowing there is only one direction - forward - one race - human - one future - ours, all.

And the matriarchy has now begun. Took it long enough. This is the closest I could find to commemorate the moment.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-12-2011, 07:46 PM
(04-12-2011 06:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And the matriarchy has now begun. Took it long enough. This is the closest I could find to commemorate the moment.

There's a complement doesn't embarrass me in the least. The "fine line," however, is to minimize the potential divinity of Gwyneth Paltrow - but I love her like an asylum full of crazy. Tongue

04-12-2011, 07:59 PM
(04-12-2011 07:46 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(04-12-2011 06:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And the matriarchy has now begun. Took it long enough. This is the closest I could find to commemorate the moment.

There's a complement doesn't embarrass me in the least. The "fine line," however, is to minimize the potential divinity of Gwyneth Paltrow - but I love her like an asylum full of crazy. Tongue

Successful hills are here to stay,
Everytihng must be this way.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post