Why I think the doctrine of Hell is problematic for Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2015, 03:24 PM
(24-12-2015 07:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-12-2015 02:46 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "Can you provide an example of a religious doctrine your understand, that I don't?"

First you must explain what your mean...I'm a little confused.

I don't know, it seems that the accusation being leveled is that I can't understand the arguments, or criticisms, of religious beliefs and doctrines, but I think this accusation has little merit, because I can't think of what it is here that I'm not able to understand about the opposing viewpoints.

It seems the tendency here is to equate the fact that I don't believe as you do, that this amounts to not being able to understand what you believe. You can understand a competing argument, an opposing view, without agreeing with it. I think the question here is interesting, but perhaps not as interesting for others as it is for me.

You don't even understand what people are telling you about this subject. Laughat

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2015, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2015 08:43 AM by Tomasia.)
RE: Why I think the doctrine of Hell is problematic for Christianity
(24-12-2015 09:51 AM)julep Wrote:  You're in that box because you aren't here just to meet or understand people. You're here to push your agenda and feel superior to atheists while doing it, so you get exactly the reception that you deserve.

And that reception is what I would expect, which is not to be everybody's cup of tea.
If my relationship with unbelievers even on the internet where primarily negative that might mean something, but it's not. I get along well with more unbelievers than I don't, so that's a positive, particularly on the internet with strangers.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-12-2015, 10:56 AM
(27-12-2015 08:40 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-12-2015 09:51 AM)julep Wrote:  You're in that box because you aren't here just to meet or understand people. You're here to push your agenda and feel superior to atheists while doing it, so you get exactly the reception that you deserve.

And that reception is what I would expect, which is not to be everybody's cup of tea.
If my relationship with unbelievers even on the internet where primarily negative that might mean something, but it's not. I get along well with more unbelievers than I don't, so that's a positive, particularly on the internet with strangers.

The reception you get is not only because you're a theist, but because you're dishonest and an outright liar.

-Rick
27-12-2015, 11:28 AM
RE: Why I think the doctrine of Hell is problematic for Christianity
(27-12-2015 10:56 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The reception you get is not only because you're a theist, but because you're dishonest and an outright liar.

Oh, and all this time I thought it was because I was a theist and balding. But I guess my dishonesty and outright lying make better sense than my receding hair line.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-12-2015, 11:30 AM
(27-12-2015 11:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-12-2015 10:56 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The reception you get is not only because you're a theist, but because you're dishonest and an outright liar.

Oh, and all this time I thought it was because I was a theist and balding. But I guess my dishonesty and outright lying make better sense than my receding hair line.

Your goofy appearance plays no discernible role in the stupid shit you spew forth in your dishonest discourse.

-Rick