Why Is Being Successful A Crime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 12:31 AM
RE: Why Is Being Successful A Crime?
(24-10-2012 12:21 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 11:45 PM)Diablo Wrote:  If it costs too much to make 1000 units, then its almost certainly cost too much to make 500. So to say cost is a limiting condition in his analogy makes no sense.

His analogy was worthless, and only proves he knows nothing about economics.

No, it does not prove he doesn't know economics. It proves you do not understand what was intended to be a very simple to understand economic model for explaining the efficiency of the free market. Do you grow all your own food? Build your own apartment/home? Make your own car? With enough time and effort, you could likely do any one of these, but very unlikely that you could do them all. The limiting factor is your time--it costs less time for you to pay for these things rather than do them all on your own.

It's okay Bryan.
I'm beginning to accept that basic introductory economics is just too hard for some people.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
24-10-2012, 06:24 PM
(23-10-2012 11:17 PM)Diablo Wrote:  Ok, yes I pulled some #s out of my ass. Ok! I don't know how much the box costs! The point was that they are making a shitload of money, and if they paid their execs less, and lowered their profit margin down some they would still be making a shitload of money. Thus, all the people forced to buy Windows, cough monopoly, are being cheated.

This effects of monopolies are obvious to even a little kid in grade school.
I reiterate:
(22-10-2012 10:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:  There is this company called "Apple", 'don't know if you've ever heard of it. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
25-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Prisons are another great example.

There is a reality show called Bait Car that comes on every now and again on TV. I cant remember the network, as I don't watch much TV. Anyways, these cops go into poor neighborhoods and leave a specialized car as easy bait. Then they catch these poor desperate kids trying to steal said car, by using a kill switch.

Sounds like blatant entrapment to me, but hey what do I know? I am not a lawyer, and they probably can't afford a good enough one to fight it.

In many places cops can now also stop and frisk anyone they find suspicious. Only about 10% of these frisks ever turn up anything, usually minor quantities of drugs.

Sounds like a clear violation of illegal search and seizures, but again I am not a lawyer and these kids are too poor to get a decent one.

Anyways it costs the US govt around 30k a year to house a single prisoner. Also note that the # of non-violent offenders (like these kids stealing the bait car) in prison has drastically increased over the years. So why are they going after these poor non-violent kids? Simple, the prison system is now a corporate system. Being such, the aristocrats poor tons of money into lobbying to ensure they keep making money by putting poor innocent kids behind bars to be raped and tortured. Ahh the American Dream!
25-10-2012, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2012 06:59 PM by Diablo666.)
(24-10-2012 06:24 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 11:17 PM)Diablo Wrote:  Ok, yes I pulled some #s out of my ass. Ok! I don't know how much the box costs! The point was that they are making a shitload of money, and if they paid their execs less, and lowered their profit margin down some they would still be making a shitload of money. Thus, all the people forced to buy Windows, cough monopoly, are being cheated.

This effects of monopolies are obvious to even a little kid in grade school.
I reiterate:
(22-10-2012 10:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:  There is this company called "Apple", 'don't know if you've ever heard of it. Drinking Beverage

Apple OS is not a competitor of Windows you dumbass.
Its like a fart in the wind by comparison.

Thats like saying Standard Oil wasn't a monopoly because there were still a handful of other oil manufacturers still in existence. The only reason they were still in business was because Standard Oil had not gotten around to squeezing them out.

Apple makes its monkey selling cheap Chinese made crap, whilst convincing dumb American kids its hip, and selling it at drastically overpriced rates.

Microsoft could have easily bought off apple a few years back when they were on the verge of going under, but they couldn't, as it was their last "we aren't a monopoly" card to play.

If you don't think Microsoft is a monopoly, then sir are a drooling moron.

(24-10-2012 12:21 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 11:45 PM)Diablo Wrote:  If it costs too much to make 1000 units, then its almost certainly cost too much to make 500. So to say cost is a limiting condition in his analogy makes no sense.

His analogy was worthless, and only proves he knows nothing about economics.

No, it does not prove he doesn't know economics. It proves you do not understand what was intended to be a very simple to understand economic model for explaining the efficiency of the free market. Do you grow all your own food? Build your own apartment/home? Make your own car? With enough time and effort, you could likely do any one of these, but very unlikely that you could do them all. The limiting factor is your time--it costs less time for you to pay for these things rather than do them all on your own.
It was simplified all right. It was simplified to the point that it was terrible.
25-10-2012, 07:22 PM
(25-10-2012 06:55 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Apple OS is not a competitor of Windows you dumbass.

Thats like saying Standard Oil wasn't a monopoly because there were still a handful of other oil manufacturers still in existence. The only reason they were still in business was because Standard Oil had not gotten around to squeezing them out.

Apple makes its monkey selling cheap Chinese made crap, whilst convincing dumb American kids its hip, and selling it at drastically overpriced rates.

Microsoft could have easily bought off apple a few years back when they were on the verge of going under, but they couldn't, as it was their last "we aren't a monopoly" card to play.

If you don't think Microsoft is a monopoly, then sir are a drooling moron.
Thank you for publicly demonstrating both your lack of education, as well as your inability to have a civil conversation with another person.

Having said that, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Windows and Apple together form an oligopoly, neither of the companies has a monopoly.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
25-10-2012, 08:32 PM
(25-10-2012 06:48 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Prisons are another great example.

There is a reality show called Bait Car that comes on every now and again on TV. I cant remember the network, as I don't watch much TV. Anyways, these cops go into poor neighborhoods and leave a specialized car as easy bait. Then they catch these poor desperate kids trying to steal said car, by using a kill switch.

Sounds like blatant entrapment to me, but hey what do I know? I am not a lawyer, and they probably can't afford a good enough one to fight it.

In many places cops can now also stop and frisk anyone they find suspicious. Only about 10% of these frisks ever turn up anything, usually minor quantities of drugs.

Sounds like a clear violation of illegal search and seizures, but again I am not a lawyer and these kids are too poor to get a decent one.

Anyways it costs the US govt around 30k a year to house a single prisoner. Also note that the # of non-violent offenders (like these kids stealing the bait car) in prison has drastically increased over the years. So why are they going after these poor non-violent kids? Simple, the prison system is now a corporate system. Being such, the aristocrats poor tons of money into lobbying to ensure they keep making money by putting poor innocent kids behind bars to be raped and tortured. Ahh the American Dream!

Hey I've seen that show.

I don't see how it's a bad thing at all. You steal a car, stealing cars is illegal, hence, what you did was illegal. The fact that it was left unlocked in a neighborhood notorious for stealing cars is irrelevant.
The fact it's in a poor neighborhood is simply because those are the neighborhoods where the majority of car thefts occur.
These cops are scaring young people into not stealing cars, or taking car thefts off the street. This is good for that neighborhood. If these people are so poor then perhaps they can't afford insurance. So if their car gets stolen and now they can't get to work..
You say it's unfair on these kids. I say NOT doing it is unfair on 99% of that community.

As for the frisking, well if 10% turn up illegal things (guns/drugs) well then I fail to see how that is a bad thing also.
That's a lot more guns/drugs off the streets.

Quote:Apple OS is not a competitor of Windows you dumbass.

Obviously never sat in the back row of a lecture hall..
(Well, doesn't understand such simple economics so of course not)

Quote:It was simplified all right. It was simplified to the point that it was terrible.

Because you failed to understand doesn't make it terrible son.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
25-10-2012, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2012 09:04 PM by Diablo666.)
Ok let me whip out the crayons for your dumb ass.

Jobs go overseas because labor is cheaper, taxes are lower, there are less regulations, and the overall cost of production is less.
Its essentially little more than slave labor, cough taking advantage of people cough...The fact there are no tariffs doesn't help.

It has nothing, absolutely nothing, to with the some crazy idea that they are better at making something. Chances are they are actually worse at it, but that doesn't matter, because the reduced cost easily makes up for that fact.
For instance, they put iphones together by hand in large part in china.

Is this shit sinking in yet? That is how you make money! Fuck over as many people as possible.
Throw poor non-violent people in Jail.
Create Monopolies.
Atk random countries to justify the defense spending
Become king
wtf ever

EDIT:
Its rare you actually find some one dumb enough to actually support the drug war...lol
And to completely disregard the illegality of the justice depts actions..wow.

Where did that big bad old liberal touch you? Show us on this anatomically correct doll.
[+] 1 user Likes Diablo666's post
25-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Quote:It has nothing, absolutely nothing, to with the some crazy idea that they are better at making something.

Oh my dear child.

I'm going to say this part again because you obviously missed it.
"It's more cost efficient"

That's exactly the point, it's cheaper to produce over there. You can produced 100 ipods in china for the same costs as 10ipods made in America (made up numbers but you get the idea).
That's PART of the point.

Go back, re-read my post and try to understand the other part.
If you are STILL having trouble, I guess I can waste my time further spelling it out for you.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
25-10-2012, 11:22 PM

I agree that the prison system sucks more now than before. That being said, you are wrong about the bait car thing. They use the bait car in those locations, because the occurance of car thefts in those areas warrant such activity. This means that if you have a nice car and park it in that area (engine off, keys with you not in the car, and doors locked), there is a high probability that you will come back to find your car gone. If there was a low occurance of car theft, believe me they would not waste time putting the bait car there.
26-10-2012, 07:48 PM

More OWS claptrap. Do you spend all your spare time in drum circles? You take a legitimate concern--incarceration rates for non-violent crimes--an turn it into an argument about the prisons being a 'corporate system'? In your Marxism-addled brain, all problems boil down to the evil, corporatist , bourgeoisie holding down the working class. Here's an idea--don't commit the crime in the first place.

One more thing--for an action to be considered entrapment, the state would have to do something that caused the offender to do something they wouldn't otherwise do. It's pretty friggen' clear that the sole act of parking a car in no way suggests stealing it. Now if that government representative walks to a nearby bar and starts offering to buy said car if it were stolen, that would be entrapment.

And just for the record, I could care less if someone uses drugs and think it would be better to legalize and regulate them (primarily laws against giving drugs to minor, tax them to support addiction treatments). However until the laws are changed, only a moron thinks it worth the risk to break the law knowing the consequences.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post