Why Is Being Successful A Crime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2012, 09:53 PM
RE: Why Is Being Successful A Crime?
(16-10-2012 07:53 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(16-10-2012 07:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  top10 richest people I believe. *double checks* Ohh so close, they dropped a couple places this year. 11th richest.
It's a family business. The current owner of said billions is a women actually, widow of one of the sons of the founder. (All "Walton's"). Talk about marring into the right family..

It's a shit job that requires absolutely zero qualifications. It's one of those jobs you do when you drop out of high school in the first year.
So of course they're gonna pay minimum wage. It's no different to any other shit job paying minimum wage.

she*

Do you know how many jobs WalMart provides?
I'll give you a clue, it's 2,200,000.
It's the 3rd largest corporation in the world. The 2 companies larger then it and the 2 companies below it in the ranking have a combined job total of 670,000.
It's the biggest single private employer in the world.

My point is, they provide a shit load of shit jobs and give them to people who would otherwise not really have much in the line of work opportunity (or college graduates who major in philosophy, which I guess is the same thing).

They shouldn't have to increase wages. Minimum wage is there for a reason, because that is the amount deemed by society to be the amount of money you get for doing work that requires no skills. Suck it up or get more skills.

I'm sure WalMart, like all big businesses, donate millions to charity. How much do you donate?
Walmart provide 2,200,000 people with jobs. How many jobs do you provide to people?

That is the general idea of business...
But it's simple really. If you don't like it, don't buy from it. But people do buy from it and sure some small businesses do go out of business, but at the end of the day it's what the people want. They want cheaper shit so they go to Walmart.

No you really wouldn't. You'd need to know a bit of accounting (though you could even hire an accountant) and have some management skills but you'd hardly need to work in management for 20years.
You could do it now.
The reason you don't is because it's risky, it requires effort and you're comfortable in your plain safe stable job.
It's nothing to do with needing "20 years in management".
You have no one to blame but yourself as to why you don't own your own security firm.

Nope.
I don't need to know anything about hairdressing to open a profitable hairdressing saloon.

Yes you need appropriate skills, management, HR, bit of accounting. But of course you do, owning a business is all that paper work gritty stuff. It's hard work and it's risky. So people don't do it, they get a stable job and bitch about those that took the risk instead.

Wrong again. Yes it requires some know how and effort but if it was easy as just doing what you're doing (ie: security guard) then they'd be no point in employment.

Seriously, if anyone is coming across as lazy right now it's you. You sit in your stable job bitching that you don't own your own business and yet your willingness to do anything about it is obsolete. You want more and more for very little. You're the greedy one here.

Did it occur to you that he may be well educated? Legacy or not Harvard isn't about to take brain dead people.

Richard Branson started by bootlegging CDs out of the back of his car. He slowly made his way up to make Virgin records and now look at him, a fucking airline company.

Birdguy, you are exactly the people Hughsie is talking about. You bitch and bitch about this that and the other but have absolutely zero interest or willingness to do something about it. You make excuse after excuse.

Excuse after excuse huh? I have tried starting my own small thing. So far I have made nothing on it. If I do make a little money to supplement my income, the government will be on my back in no time. Then there will be an argument that I am taking away business from legit computer repair businesses with skilled workers that went to school for it. There are so many requirements to be able to do anything these days.

What are you going on about?
I'm talking about your security job not a part time hobby of fixing computers.
Two completely different things.
People do small home based hobby things all the time. I don't know about American tax, but here hobbies are not taxable (unless it's your main income). So if you were fixing a computer every now and then getting a small stable income each week then that wouldn't be taxable. But if it was full time, main income then it would be taxable. But in saying that you'd own your own business and be able to claim GST back for expenses (tools, the use of the space (even if it's in your own home) etc..) and all that other stuff related to owning your own business. Then if you wanted to hire employees you'd have to pay their wages etc..
But for a single operator owner business it's really not that hard.

But what I'm talking about is this security firm you mentioned. Here you are bitching that you can't own a small security firm because you think you need 20years management requirement. You really don't.
Yes, if you were to own your own small firm there would be far more of a managerial role. But that just comes with the territory. That's why the reward is higher, because as the boss you are liable for debts, you are liable for any fines incurred etc... you are responsible for paying employees wages, you are responsible for paying company tax, you are responsible for marketing, dealing with clients, dealing with PR and HR. It is a lot more work then just 'security guard'. BUT that's why the reward is higher, because the risk is higher and the responsibility is much much higher.

When you talked about how you can't own your own security company it's because you don't want to. You want to be a security guard. You like being in a stable job of 12years that you know will pay XXX each week. You know that you don't have any responsibility (in the sense of paying employee wages etc..). You know that you don't have to pay off the companies debt. You're not responsible or have any of the risk that comes with owning a small business. And so as a result you are stuck with the XXX amount you earn each week.
Until you are willing to accept more risk, responsibility and more effort then you will not see the gains associated with that (or the contrast and the key factor for most people; the loss associated with that).

So quite frankly, how dare you come here and bad mouth those that do take that risk, do take upon that responsibility and do put in the effort to make a small business work, complaining that "it's out of reach for me" when you wont put the required effort in to change your situation. Shame on you.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
16-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Muffs nailed it. Risk is risk. Government isn't "on your back" about making money, not if you do things legitimately. Boohoo you have to pay taxes on money you make, welcome to the real world. I hate forking out money on taxes, but I do it, I pay them, I deal with it and move along. You think I like paying taxes? Who does? But it's better to fork out what you owe, get it done, be legit, do the paperwork and NOT have to worry, than it is to hide things and hope no one catches on and then have everything you worked for RUINED.

You can start a business without having a billion years of experience. But it's risky. It's hard, it isn't easy to get market penetration and there is a lot to learn. If a person wants to start a business, save up for a business license, register it and get going with it. But you likely will not make a lot of money right off the bat, building a business takes time.

I took the plunge to start my own AND I work another full time job. You know what, it's hard and TIME consuming. My days off are filled with hunting for the extra work and trying to make it successful. My wife is fine with it and she supports me, she's amazing and I respect that she is so damned supportive of me. But she knows that life is too short not to give it a try and so do I. I have things I want to do, dreams I want to fulfill, for me and for her. Thus far I've damn near abolished my bucketlist and I'm not even 30 yet. But there has been a lot of uncomfortable risk, rough times, lots of learning experiences and tons of interim when things have been moving with momentum. If I work hard enough I feel like I can eventually have it take off, quit the full time job and finally dictate my own hours and do my own thing, doing something I enjoy. But none of what I've accomplished so far has been done by bitching about the government, blaming my problems on others, whining about the system.

You want success? Make it. No one is going to do it for you. Or you can spend the rest of your life doing things you don't enjoy, to complete things you don't enjoy, to spend more time doing things you hate only to live a life that you perhaps don't fully enjoy. Makes no sense. I'm not saying a person can't be happy by working a normal job, but to hate on those who have taken the risk to pursue their dreams is absolutely stupid. If anything I ENCOURAGE people to pursue it.

It is better to have lived your life in attempt to pursue such things, than to be wondering what it would have been like... to have spent the ONE LIFE you have always looking back, always wondering, always regretting and realized you have no chance of changing that.
[+] 4 users Like Logisch's post
17-10-2012, 08:17 AM
(16-10-2012 06:10 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(16-10-2012 11:32 AM)Dom Wrote:  Politicians -I don't basically like them since they don't usually tell the truth about anything but they say whatever they think most people want to hear. That makes politics and elections quite pointless, it's simply the one whose lies you like better who gets your vote.

You can't blame the politicians for that. Any politician who priorities truth over popularity will never get anywhere. That's not their fault. It's mainly the fault of the system, and a little bit the fault of the general population who allow themselves to be swayed so easily.

Of course I can blame politicians for that.

The general public is what it is, the politicians are people who cherish the publicity and whatever else comes with "ruling" the public. They don't generally need to make any money, so that's not the situation here. They just like to bask in fame, and they will lie until they turn blue to get it.

You will find some with actual goals other than "ruling" in town politics, but once you get on the state and federal level, those have long been fltered out.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-10-2012, 10:14 AM
(15-10-2012 05:41 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I hate rich assholes too. That's not what I'm talking about though. I wanna know why, as a species, we seem to have some problem with people who are successful. Just the tag of 'rich people' seems to be enough to get some people spouting off about how terrible they all are. I don't understand why.

That's just the thing. I don't think many people despise the rich simply because they are wealthy. Drinking Beverage Personally, I despise many rich people because of the way they spend and invest their money. As for rich politicians, I hate many of them because they send people my age to war in order to profit, they squander time while avoiding the real issues, and they believe they can lie to me and the rest of the people.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
17-10-2012, 10:45 AM
(17-10-2012 08:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Of course I can blame politicians for that.

The general public is what it is, the politicians are people who cherish the publicity and whatever else comes with "ruling" the public. They don't generally need to make any money, so that's not the situation here. They just like to bask in fame, and they will lie until they turn blue to get it.

You will find some with actual goals other than "ruling" in town politics, but once you get on the state and federal level, those have long been fltered out.

Politicians have to choose between prioritising popularity over truth, which means lying and doing all sorts of underhand stuff to win votes, or finding a new career.

The ones who choose the latter are no longer politicians. That means the ones that are still politicians have no choice at all. They have to do what it takes to gain popularity, and what they have to do is lie and do anything for votes.

That is a problem with the system. If you are gonna blame them for that then what would you do differently in their shoes?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
17-10-2012, 10:47 AM
(17-10-2012 10:14 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  That's just the thing. I don't think many people despise the rich simply because they are wealthy. Drinking Beverage Personally, I despise many rich people because of the way they spend and invest their money.

Then you don't have the mind set I'm talking about. I find that many people in life, if you asked them about "rich people" would respond negatively. This is what I don't understand.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
17-10-2012, 11:51 AM
People don't dislike rich people because they are rich anymore than terrorists "hate us for our freedom".

The dislike could come from many things like.....Corporate crimes that go unpunished, corporate manipulation of the government, corporate influence on wars/future wars (military industrial complex), moving jobs overseas to exploit the third world instead of keeping americans employed. Corporate attempts to keep wages low. etc etc etc.

The list could go on for days as to why rich people are hated.
17-10-2012, 04:12 PM
(15-10-2012 05:34 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  It seems weird to me that most of humanity wishes they were better off yet they seem to hate anyone who has money. I'm assuming these people wouldn't automatically hate themselves if they became rich so why hate others?

Ayn Rand? Is that you?
[+] 2 users Like Julius's post
17-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:moving jobs overseas to exploit the third world instead of keeping americans employed.

Do I need to bring out the ol' ms paint economic graphs and unnecessarily long story? They've gained a bit of dust on the shelf lately I'll be happy to dust them off.
I can hear the "*sigh* not again" now.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
17-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Star RE: Why Is Being Successful A Crime?
Quote:Then you don't have the mind set I'm talking about. I find that many people in life, if you asked them about "rich people" would respond negatively. This is what I don't understand.

My dear troll (hopefully) there is a fair bit that you don't understand.

For one, making a strawman argument that everyone hates "the rich", is not a valid argument.
Another, your own run ins with the disillusioned isn't a proper way to gauge the opinions of millions of people.
Attempting to sneakily conflate "ill gotten gains" to "ANY gotten gains" is dishonest.

If you're not a troll, what I don't understand is the need of a rather lowly internet forum user to white knight a segment of the population who are extremely powerful. Who move millions of capital with a pen stroke, who are extremely under taxed, who bank roll politicians, who move entire nations. I think they can handle themselves without your - pleas.

Perhaps start a thread asking why being poor is a crime? As they are the ones actually being punished. The man sleeping under a bridge seems more of the one prosecuted than the one on a yacht.

Reap what you sow, and owe what you owe. There is no issue if rich or poor act in that manner.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post