Why Is Being Successful A Crime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Why do people seem to hate 'rich people', especially politicians? I'm far from rich myself before anyone asks but the fact that I'm not rolling in money has never made me want to hate those who are.

I've posted this in the politics section as I frequently see it directed at politicians. I'm not even American and I've heard/seen plenty online of people making comments about Mitt Romney for daring to be well off. Not people commenting about why he may be well off, or bad things he's done as a consequence of being well off. Simply people hating him for having money. I'm not a Romney fan by the way, I just think there are better reasons to hate him.

We get the same over in the UK as well. I can't keep count of the amount of derogatory comments my family make about David Cameron for daring to be well off.

It seems weird to me that most of humanity wishes they were better off yet they seem to hate anyone who has money. I'm assuming these people wouldn't automatically hate themselves if they became rich so why hate others?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
15-10-2012, 05:35 PM
RE: Why Is Being Successful A Crime?
I don't hate them because they have money. I hate how they treat other people because they think they are less than they are. I hate how they assume that if you don't have money, you must be lazy or stupid. I hate how they assume they are privileged and can treat others poorly.

I don't mind rich people. I mind assholes. There just happen to be quite a few rich assholes.

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like NeonMoment's post
15-10-2012, 05:41 PM
(15-10-2012 05:35 PM)NeonMoment Wrote:  I don't hate them because they have money. I hate how they treat other people because they think they are less than they are. I hate how they assume that if you don't have money, you must be lazy or stupid. I hate how they assume they are privileged and can treat others poorly.

I don't mind rich people. I mind assholes. There just happen to be quite a few rich assholes.

I hate rich assholes too. That's not what I'm talking about though. I wanna know why, as a species, we seem to have some problem with people who are successful. Just the tag of 'rich people' seems to be enough to get some people spouting off about how terrible they all are. I don't understand why.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
15-10-2012, 05:47 PM
(15-10-2012 05:41 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-10-2012 05:35 PM)NeonMoment Wrote:  I don't hate them because they have money. I hate how they treat other people because they think they are less than they are. I hate how they assume that if you don't have money, you must be lazy or stupid. I hate how they assume they are privileged and can treat others poorly.

I hate rich assholes too. That's not what I'm talking about though. I wanna know why, as a species, we seem to have some problem with people who are successful. Just the tag of 'rich people' seems to be enough to get some people spouting off about how terrible they all are. I don't understand why.

I actually do not have a problem with successful people.

It's what certain successful people/corporations choose to do that I have an issue with. Like for instance buying up any small business to maintain a monopoly, out sourcing jobs to other countries, and avoiding taxes by going to tax havens.

In other words the problem arises when their choices become harmful to society.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
15-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Re: RE: Why Is Being Successful A Crime?

How any "rich" people have you met in your life?
15-10-2012, 09:43 PM

If I said all black people steal my TV's I'd be called a racist.

I'm just sayin.

@Hugsie, is it not obvious?
Jealousy.
"I'm poor so he should be poor too".

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-10-2012, 11:08 PM
It's a manifestation of the phenomenon called "demonization", or "demonization of the 'other' ". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonization

It's very common. For example, religionists "demonize" atheists, atheists demonize believers, etc etc. It's a "group forming behavior" thing, (I assume), from Anthropology.

This particular example has marked exceptions. If successful people are also seen as generous, (Buffet, Gates), they are less demonized. Also I have seen in California, (maybe...too soon to tell), a newly emerging thing seen in the "young billionaires". Zuckerberg, and a number of very successful young entrepreneurs who are not into "stuff". Mark lives in a simple house, and is focused on his company. so, don't generalize. We had a cute old crazy maiden lady living next to us in La Jolla, for years. She spent all her time helping in the food shelves in San Diego. We never knew it, but 2 years ago, when she died, we found out she was worth about 4 billion bucks. No one hated her.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

15-10-2012, 11:19 PM
(15-10-2012 11:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's a manifestation of the phenomenon called "demonization", or "demonization of the 'other' ". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonization

It's very common. For example, religionists "demonize" atheists, atheists demonize believers, etc etc. It's a "group forming behavior" thing, (I assume), from Anthropology.

This particular example has marked exceptions. If successful people are also seen as generous, (Buffet, Gates), they are less demonized. Also I have seen in California, (maybe...too soon to tell), a newly emerging thing seen in the "young billionaires". Zuckerberg, and a number of very successful young entrepreneurs who are not into "stuff". Mark lives in a simple house, and is focused on his company. so, don't generalize. We had a cute old crazy maiden lady living next to us in La Jolla, for years. She spent all her time helping in the food shelves in San Diego. We never knew it, but 2 years ago, when she died, we found out she was worth about 4 billion bucks. No one hated her.

I kinda hate her just a little bit now that I know she was worth that much money and didn't give any of it to me. Confused

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
16-10-2012, 01:06 AM
I don't hate anyone because they are successful or wealthy - those are somewhat relative terms, in my opinion. I know people who feel that to have a few hundred thousand, would be "wealthy" and to have a job that they love, would be "successful". I know people who feel they wouldn't be able to get by on the few million a year they are able to rake in from a few stable investments in their portfolios. I don't hate any of those people. Although... kind of wish I knew fewer retards who weren't so hung up on that shit. Dodgy

I do hate greed, though. I've known quite a lot of successful and wealthy people. I know a few of them who have not entertained greed at all in their lives... as far as I know, while some have a quite an abiding relationship with greed.

I certainly find nothing detestable about Richard Branson, Mark Zukerberg, Gates, Wozniak, Jobs, or Warren Buffet. Actually, I kind of admire them them for doing things their way, attempting to give back, and encouraging others to do the same. These guys figured out that it doesn't stop at "getting there" and they realize getting there wasn't all about themselves. They also figured out that to have a whole lot of "have nots" and not a lot of "haves"... probably isn't a real good idea.

I do detest a majority of politicians and what I view as their deep-seated need to have power over others, when they are supposed to be of service to others. Could just be my perspective. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
16-10-2012, 02:21 AM
Where's bemore and Filox? They hate rich people. Would love to here their wrong opinions on the matter.

Fun fact. Buffet earns 60million a year (as in his personal income). He spends $150,000 a year of it. That's it. He lives in the same house (with his wife who is also his high school sweetheart) he lived in before he got rich. He also drinks a large glass of coke a day.

Quote:I do hate greed, though.

Greed is in no way related to being rich.
Look at the recent financial crisis. That happened because ordinary people wanted more more more. Sure banks did too but that was only allowed to happen because every day people were greedy.
Even today people are extremely greedy. I mean it's common place for houses to have 2 or 3 TVs these days, 1 in the living room, 1 in the kids bedroom and 1 in the parents bedroom.

As for rich people, having a high paying job is not being greedy. If you are good at your job, get promoted to a higher and higher position etc.. then you deserve a higher pay. Though some of the bonuses directors and such get is fucking ridiculous and is pure greed. Especially if a business is failing. If a business is failing I don't see why CEO's and directors etc.. should get ANY bonus or pay rise of any sort.
When I own my trillion dollar business, the puppet I hire as a CEO for my business when I retire at the ripe old age of 30 will not be getting million dollar bonuses I assure you that.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post